1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

All the truth about Effects Pedal Boutique SRB 808 PLUS...Now!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spiritofeden, Jan 20, 2008.

1. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I think I'm not the only one who noticed this pedal on ebay and then starded investigating here and on HC. It seem that this rough looking box clones : Landgraff OD + Marshall distortion(*) + Dumble OD kind of ZENDRIVE (in this position but with the gain down it seems to be a perfect clean boot). Let's not forget that there's an indipendent fat boost too! A lot o people claim thet it's better than KLONE and FULLTONE too...All this for $100,00 more or less...So how's foolin' who? Has anyone compared the SRB with the originals? Can it relly stand up there with the best of the best? Is it time for a stompboxs armaggeddon when all our expansive ODs will return ashes to ashes? I'm confuesd...can you help to unfold the truth?

(*) I red many pages with user's impressions but no one says if the Marshall mode is more PLEXI (king of the britains) or more JTM45 (box of rock/working man's blues). This might be the right time to discuss this too...

2. Matt F

Matt F Member

I have an SRB 808+ and I think it is a great modded TS. I have directly compared it to the LDO. In a blind taste test the owner of the LDO liked the SRB 808 better.

Having said that I have owned 2 LDOs and they are great pedals. I purchased one because I had to see what it was all about. Nice but just didn't blow my dress up $400+ worth. So, I sold it after a couple months. Then a few months later I bought a second one here on TGP because surely I must have missed something the first time. Well, it was still a nice TS but my findings were still the same as my first LDO experience: Nice, but not $400+ nice (to me).

I bought an SRB 808+ for giggles in the emporium for $85 last year and sounds just like the LDO. For $85 that is worth holding on to :) I don't use a TS808 all that much but the SRB is a really nice one with lots of options. This is not to imply that a Landgraff is a bad pedal. It's just the SRB is that good (sans the pretty box).

(The guy with the LDO has been borrowing the SRB 808+ from me for months. I hope to get it back one day..lol :dude)

3. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Member

I liked it so much I bought it twice. Now I'm selling it again because I don't hardly use pedals anymore. My amp has a seperate channel for solos.

4. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

So one vote for the LDO sound...what about the other chennels? Did you have the chance to compare them to a KOTB/BOR and to a ZENDRIVE?

5. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Oh my god it seems to be really good! The same question I asked above: Did you have the chance to compare the other channels to a KoTB/BoR and to a ZENDRIVE? The point is are they just "sound-a-likes" or "wannabes"? I'm sorry but I have to play the "devil's advocate" role...:horse

6. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Is there enybody out there wha happend to compare the clone with the originals?

7. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Member

KOT,BOR & Zendrive are different beast all together. The SRB808+ is based on an 808.

8. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

The LDO sounds is great.. so is the "Dumble" overdrive sounds, though it's not dumble or zenlike (have a Zendrive), it's REALLY usable. I actually liked it almost as much for use as the normal LDO setting, though I used it with the gain cranked. The Marshall sound is eh.. not really usable.

9. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

I've got an SRB808 v.4, and i've got to agree that the TS setting is great, has a clarity and bloom that i love. And also more gain than most TS pedals. It's probably the best TS type sound i've ever heard. I've never tried an LDO, but the middle SRB setting is excellent as well. Really thickens up the sound nicely, and very useful. The "Marshall" setting to me isn't really a Marshall. It has assymetrical clipping, and really reminds me of a Barber Direct Drive but with more gain. YMMV:)

10. m75bluesbird

m75bluesbird Member

I've got an SRB808+ and so far it's my favorite boost/OD pedal. After messing about with the settings for a while, I actually tried out the suggested settings from Dave Wireman and found that I really like the "SRV blues" tubescreamer tone. Really transparent. I use a Bad Bob or a Keeley Java Boost in front of it for thickening and extra boost for solos. Only downside was the 14-week wait after I ordered it, although I was warned that it would be a while...

11. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

12. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

The truth is...it actually lived up to hype for me. Much nicer sounding than the MojoDrive. The FatBoost toggle is terrific. I don't care for the Marshall setting, but the other 2 are outstanding.

13. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Had one. Great sounding pedal.

14. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

This is killing Me. We're on a financial diet till My Wife finishes school (working on Her RN). I could probably sell something and get one. I really loved it and have learned My lesson.

15. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I have an SRB808+ on order. Dave was in the hospital for something and it's thrown his production off a bit. Still can't wait to get it in. Will report on the sound when it arrives. I currently own a CMATMODS Browne, Lovepedal 200 lbs, BTMB Six of Swords, and a EH Pocket Metal Muff. Will see how it stands up.

16. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

Got it in today. It is all that and more! I plugged in my Strat and ran to a Super Champ XD with upgrades and this little pedal smokes! Nothing fancy, just touch-sensitive tone. I'm sold!

17. dmczern

dmczern Member

bump for more opinions please!

18. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

I've owned it a few times, its been my go-to TS type pedal, now I don't really use TS types. I loved the Clean boost mode, thought it added some chime and fattened things up at the same time. The Marshall mode has a nice tight bass and sweet highs, I liked it more than the Plexi-Drive and DLS mkII for marshally tones, even though it doesn't have the slight nuances that the PD and DLS have, I just liked its sound better, more like a hot-rodded Marshall that can do low gain really well.

19. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

That's how I use it; low gain, guitar volume dialed back with a touch of dirt for some grind, roll up the volume for more drive.

It sits well in the mix on that setting, not super mid humped (I have the bass boos on) but up enough in the spectrum to really work well in a band setting.

20. Risewithfaith

Risewithfaith Member

Great, now I really want this pedal. I'm between this or the Mad Professor LGW.