all these strats and tele's sound the same

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rich2k4, May 5, 2008.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=fendermusical

the video's of the custom shop guy demoing the guitars.

they all sound the same, they have like 50 strats and 50 different tele's and its all just different cosmetics, but they all sound the same. one costs 2 grand the other costs 3 grand, more even.

i guess it's a good thing that i can't hear the difference between the same type of guitars, as it saves me money

i can hear the basic differences between a les paul, strat, telecaster, and es 335, but beyond that, it is all the same to me.

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

You know, I had two of those HBS-1 models here in my house and they were identical from the woods and pickups down to even the same color paint. The store accidentally sent me two!

Anyhow, if you were to play these in person, even unplugged I guarantee you'd hear a HUGE difference. Even without mentioning it, my wife even commented on how different they sounded.

But don't go by a video camera with a guy playing through a tiny amp. Another thing is how nice those guitars feel, especially the shape and the rawness of the neck.

3. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

no I have played many strats and tele's and besides their comfort and playability, they all pretty much sounded the same.

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Well I don't know what to tell you then, because even non guitar players I know can hear a big difference.

Try this, take a 31 band EQ and randomly move sliders up and down, does it sound the same to you? That's how much one guitar can vary compared to another same type.

5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Well I didn't say one was better than the other, but they do vary and don't all sound the same even the exact same model. Which was my point. The OP said they all sound the same in those videos.

Better is subjective to a point, But once in awhile, one stands out as amazing to just about everyone in earshot and whether they're a jazzer or a rocker, that same strat sounds amazing to them. Those ones with a strong rich tone are the ones I look for!

I was just commenting on the differences among the custom strats in those videos, much of that will be washed away when you're recording through a camera, with a little amp, through a computer etc..

But they all vary a ton. It's still made of wood.

6. supar6

supar6 Member

Do all Les Pauls sound the same to you? That to me is a little more accurate. Out of the 100's of Strats and Tele's I've owned and played I can't say any of them sounded the same.

7. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

If you don't need or want two guitars to sound different, they may not.

If you have 2 guitars and they simply must sound different, they probably will.

Twins sisters talking sound the same to one fellow, different to another.

If you can only afford 1-2-3 guitars, I am not doing you any favors at all "helping" you distinguish one $$$$ guitar from another. It is better to just carry on and let the players sound different, let the mood sound different, instead.

Spend the money on amps and speakers.

Bubbanov

8. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I say you're lucky. Buy an Indonesian Squire and be done with it.

9. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

I can only hear the real differences between guitars when the sound is kept realtively clean. Once you dial in enough dirt/gain/distortion/overdrive they ALL start to sound the same to me!

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

They will share the same "Family" of sound, which is why a Strat will sound different than a mandolin with a pickup on it, but within the Strat family itself you'll hear more subtle differences, yes. Perhaps this is better shown in the acoustic world. For instance, someone on the Martin Guitar forums compared an America's Guitar in Sam Ash to its brother in Manny's Music across the street - they even brought that guitar over from across the street to A/B them. They sounded different, even though they must have shared the same conveyor belt that day. Woods are strange.

11. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Strats definitly all feel and sound different. You tube compresses the **** out of the video's plus he's playing through the same amp. Consider what they are recording with as well.... I like the '68 heavy relic.

12. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

Some anecdotal evidence of my own:

After not owning (nor having regular access to) a Strat for about 4 years now, I bought a new Classic Player 60's Strat on Friday and spent this weekend trying to dial in settings for it on my rig, which I put together last year (Heritage Victory head, Avatar 1x12 closed back, WGS Green Beret speaker, Bad Monkey overdrive). My main focus was trying to figure out what EQ changes I will need to make on stage when swapping out the Strat for my Tele and various humbucker-loaded guitars.

Right off the bat it was very noticible that the Strat is way brighter than my Tele (which I used to think was overly bright, when I only had humbucker guitars to compare it to, like my Edwards, Tokai and Gibson ES335), but that the Tele has a fuller mid range. So, if I go from the Strat to the Tele on stage, I will have to lower the mids and boost the treble on my Victory. My Tele has the stereotypical twang, while the Strat has more of a glassy shimmer to it (I know these terms are a bit amorphous, but I don't know how else to describe them).

[I have Lollar Vintage T's in the Tele (also a Barden bridge and Allparts Vitamin Q caps), while the new Strat is still 100% stock with Fender '69 PUPs. The Tele's body is ash, while the Strat is alder - both have rosewood fretboards. The strings on my Tele are a little beat right now, so that could explain some of the differences in tone, but not all of it.]

- Chris

13. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

+1 - YouTube videos have terrible audio, even when recorded on good equipment...worse than your average MP3.

- Chris

14. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

In the Fender CS videos with Mike Eldred, I can certainly hear a difference between the Strats with CS 69 pickups and those with the John Cruz pickups, as well as a difference between those and the SCNs in the Strat Pro. I don't remember much about the Tele clips, other than that they sounded like Teles rather than Strats and that the Andy Summers Tele sounded pretty unique.

BTW, I listened to the clips through a set of SONY ear buds rather than the PC speakers on my desk, which may account for some of the difference of opinion.

15. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

All my Strats sounds very different from each other. While it's certainly possible to find two or any number of Strats that sound close to the same, two randomly picked Strats will most almost always sound quite different. The difference isn't always dramatic, but it's always there.

I think all you're really saying is a Strat sounds like a Strat. But that's exactly like saying a snare drum sounds like a snare drum, even though they all sound different.

16. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Any or most of those frequencies can be present or not on any given piece of wood, even of the same type. Those two ash bodied strats I had were identical down to the weight, yet one was very hollow and muted in the top end, giving a smooth, warm sound, while another had a much stronger sound bass and highs with less mids. that was extremely noticeable acoustically, and then of course when you plug in, the same thing was apparent. With a lot of amp tweaking/EQ'ing you could sort've make one sound similar to the other, but not quite.

You could shape the pattern on an EQ similar to the guitar's natural sound. But some of use are more sensitive to those changes than others. To some, you could move the sliders around and they would think it sounds the same. They just don't care that deep. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here. But some people don't care and think it all sounds the same.

17. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

I got a penalty for this much "discusion" not too long ago.
    Go figure.:rotflmao

18. oscar100

oscar100 Member

they are different im sure - depends how sensitive u r to them

19. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

BTW. Just take a screwcriver to any tele bridge pickup and change the height. Just a smidge.

If you can't hear the difference, then consider yourself lucky (perhaps tonedeaf, but nonetheless lucky).

In any case, enjoy all the guitars you are lucky enough to be able to play.
    And if you have two arms and all your fingers, that's even better. Some aren't so fortunate.

Enjoy.

20. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

It's just a name Fender gave it. Doesn't have to mean anything historical. Go check out the time machine series for a more accurate recreations. Some of us like these modern type mods to the vintage style strats.