All Things Phish

Controlling Smilers

Gold Supporting Member
Mann was on fire last night.... tonight is going to be even hotter
Just wrapped up set II. Not as jammy but super tight, especially in the transitions, like N2 set II of Greatwoods.

EDIT: there were jams, but the jams seemed to me to primarily get to the transition. They weren't super loose, per se.

I've enjoyed Phish from the periphery since the 90's, have never seen them live and have never learned a single tune or tried to get his tone. Which is odd since I consider him one of the best guitarists, ever. I mostly didn't like the songs or the scene. Like other bands/genres, every few years I listen to Phish for a month straight and then I'm on to other things. I've seen TAB a couple of times and dug it.

Trey always sounds like Trey to me on recordings. I can't think of another guitar player that has used his type of guitar sound successfully, that low mids, bassy edge of feedback at high volume thing that he mastered. Being around the notheast in the late 90's-early 00's I heard way too many guitarists in bar bands try it and fail. There was a period of time where basically everyone was trying to play like him, so I shied away, but now I'm starting to get the itch to try and pick up some of his thing.

Whatever rig gets him excited to get up on stage, but it does seem like his rig has changed to suit a more thoughtful and cerebral style of playing vs ripping emotion. We all mellow as we get older. If anyone has resources less on his tone and rig and more on some theory behind his soloing I'd like to check it out.

Last edited:

Jpaw13

I've enjoyed Phish from the periphery since the 90's, have never seen them live and have never learned a single tune or tried to get his tone. Which is odd since I consider him one of the best guitarists, ever. I mostly didn't like the songs or the scene. Like other bands/genres, every few years I listen to Phish for a month straight and then I'm on to other things. I've seen TAB a couple of times and dug it.

Trey always sounds like Trey to me on recordings. I can't think of another guitar player that has used his type of guitar sound successfully, that low mids, bassy edge of feedback at high volume thing that he mastered. Being around the notheast in the late 90's-early 00's I heard way too many guitarists in bar bands try it and fail. There was a period of time where basically everyone was trying to play like him, so I shied away, but now I'm starting to get the itch to try and pick up some of his thing.

Whatever rig gets him excited to get up on stage, but it does seem like his rig has changed to suit a more thoughtful and cerebral style of playing vs ripping emotion. We all mellow as we get older. If anyone has resources less on his tone and rig and more on some theory behind his soloing I'd like to check it out.

Here ya go. This guy does a substantial amount of research on Trey’s gear:

goose1441

Y'all may have already seen this, but Trey band and Goose announced a joint 8 show run in November, and tickets went on pre-sale today. The announcement video is also hilarious. Went ahead and got tickets for the Virginia show, hoping I can get plans together to make at least that one.

Controlling Smilers

Gold Supporting Member
Y'all may have already seen this, but Trey band and Goose announced a joint 8 show run in November, and tickets went on pre-sale today. The announcement video is also hilarious. Went ahead and got tickets for the Virginia show, hoping I can get plans together to make at least that one.

Yup, tried to get tickets for Mohegan and Lowell. None were available when I tried half an hour after they opened.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Was listening to the 31/12/2011 MSG show today.

Some nice tones there.

What amp was Trey Anastasio running on that show?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom