All this power!! .... i feel dirty ....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Alec the Viking, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Alec the Viking

Alec the Viking Member

Seriously I can't seem to nail down the power needed to my board and amp.. at my house I'm good, but as soon as I go to gigs and plug into the wall something isn't getting enough juice!!

HOW DO I HELP REGULATE CRAP POWER!? (Not to be read, crap-power)

:omg:omg:omg:omg:omg

2. lemmiwinks

lemmiwinks Member

Furman power conditoner?

3. Alec the Viking

Alec the Viking Member

Isn't my PP2+ suppose to do the trick!?

4. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

PP2+ is a power supply, not conditioner.
    A conditioner keeps incoming voltage at set levels to the output sockets, so a bar's sagging 97v outlet will still get you 110v, and vice-versa.
    A power spike will be dropped to proper voltage before it reaches the conditioner's outlets.

Check out laboratory supply conditioners, they're sometimes cheaper than ones dedicated to the music industry.

5. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

Furman AR-1215

Not cheap but I haven't run a tube rig without one in over 15 years. 99% of all my old power issues were alleviated by using these at every gig.

6. lankybass

lankybass Member

not to throw the thread off track.. just to clarify.. the place you're playing at isn't giving your PP2+ the power it needs right? So I'm curious as to what happens (or could happen) when it doesn't get enough juice..

7. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

A conditioner is not exactly what you need I dont think - it will help mostly with noise rather than controlling the amount of juice. A voltage regulator is what you are probably looking for as variations effect tone and functioning of equipment. The Furman AR is one option I think, I use a Tripp Lite - a little clunky, but cost-effective.

8. Alec the Viking

Alec the Viking Member

Well my pedals that have higher power needs, i.e. the H.O.G., will not function, sound may make it through the Octaswitch.. etc. I've seen multiple issues.

9. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member

Sounds like your pedals require more power than your power supply can deliver. In that case it's got nothing to do with the amount of power that goes into the power supply.

Off course you could be right and the problem is the lack of power going into the power supply. Have you measured how much power you get out of power outlet since you're suspecting too low voltage?

10. Alec the Viking

Alec the Viking Member

I don't have any tools to measure the outlets. I come across outlets that supply power just fine, and everything works. When I am at my house, there isn't an issue, all of it works perfectly.

I know the Ma needed for each pedal, and what is the stated supply of the PP2+. I made sure I lined up on that end, but let's be clear there is "no room at the inn" for anymore pedals out of it!

Is there a conditioner that is smaller than a rack mounted system (seeing as I don't have a rack, nor am I trying to add more things to carry around!)??

:drown:drown:drown

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  11. Alec the Viking

Alec the Viking Member

12. never-enough

never-enough Member

Actually, a power conditioner does NOT regulate voltage.
    It helps clean up dirty power by filtering it which helps with noise caused by dirty power.
    A voltage regulator will supply a consistent voltage, as long as the voltage it receives is within its capture range.

I have been using the furman ar12-15 for about 12 years now and it works great. I purchased mine because my nmv tube amp was very sensitive to the voltage it receives, and i found the voltage to vary wildly from venue to venue on tour.