all this talk of eternity, i swear the hotcake is better

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sssmile, Jul 12, 2006.

1. sssmile

sssmile Member

:BEER

just my opinion, it does a better boost, od, dist, and fuzz for me anyway. Has a better tone. anyone agree or am i alone with my beer?

2. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I'll let you know when my 'E" gets here - which is soon, I hope.
    I have owned and loved the Hotcake for years.
    Hasn't seen much action since the EGDM got here in February, though.
    I am finding that the Hotcake doesn't play particularly well with others.
    That said, on her own, she has been great.

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

The Hotcake is one of my favorite overdrives of all time. $135 - $150 delivered from New Zealand. Good times.

4. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

my buddies hotcake sounds awsome with my BF bassman. i might have to buy it off of him :)

5. n8b

n8b Member

While I can't speak for the eternity (never owned one), the hotcake is the one pedal that I regret selling. Crowther is an excellent guy with a fairly priced pedal that performs great. One thing about the hotcake, it sounds best live.

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I had the first version for years and sold it to get the Bluesberry... hasn't dissapointed yet...

7. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

+1 On the bluesberry! Best overdrive I have ever owned - just melts into my orange ad30htc. Whether bedroom levels or gig levels it is consistantly awesome. I do, however, want to try a skreddy screwdriver when Marc finishes his final amendments to the circuit - but I doubt I will ever sell the Hotcake - its a gem.

The Eternity does not tease me whatsoever.

8. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Awesome pedal...but speaking for myself, totally different application.

9. sandman

sandman Member

How does hotcake work with clean Fender amps? I know it's supposed to be great with AC30 but strat/tele>hotcake>Twin Reverb = ??? thanks

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

It sounds pretty good, but I think it sounds better with cranked up EL84 amps... it likes my Champ II with 6v6 pretty well, though...

11. sandman

sandman Member

thanks, would you describe it as mid-heavy, scooped, transparent? How does tone control work? (newbie needs a straightforward answer:))

12. Brick

Brick Member

It's not mid-heavy at all, it's a pretty bright pedal, which works great with amps that have a strong midrange emphasis. I love it with my Allen Hot Fudge w/Nuts, which is based on the BrownFace Fender Deluxe.

When people say that the HC melds with their amp I completely know what they are talking about. For me it's an amazing organic low gain pedal. It seems to add a little sparkle to that amp even when it is bypassed.

I set the controls: volume=unity, prescence=low (7-8 o'clock), drive=11-1 o'clock and work the volume control on my tele. Love it.

I've never played an Eternity so I can't comment on the comparison...tho I love my 3 Lovepedals.

13. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

I keep reading all these opinions of OD pedals...Don't you all think it depends on your amp and your whole set up. To just say one is better than the other without mentioning the amp, guitars or application you are using the pedal for is getting old. Its like the pedal is the core to your tone,.. forget the amp.....Geeeeezzz.....rant off....

I just sold a eternity, I play an EJ strat through a 67 BFDR....This pedal sounds great through a BFDR and I may even regret selling it....That being said I love my Landgraff DO the best with this set-up....Both are great pedals.....I think you just have to experiment with different pedals through your amp and see what works for you....

14. lv

lv Supporting Member

I would take an Eternity over a Hotcake anyday. The Hotcake to me doesn't have the thick and smooth character I like.

15. iggs

iggs Member

Hey Nate,

I'm pretty sure those two new pedals you have coming up are going to fill that spot quite nicely. The clips sound fantastic. :dude

16. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

The hotcake is a great pedal.....wish I didn't sell mine....won't make the same mistake with the E.....unless my Landgraff shows up and kills it.

17. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

You're absolutely right and I've thought this many times myself. But I repressed commenting on it because then we wouldn't have anything to talk about all day! What about style of music? If 10 guys are in a room and 6 like Dickie Betts' tone, 1 likes Kirk Hammett, 2 like Duke Robillard and 1 wants to sound like Stone Gossard...eh, forget it. I think you know where I'm going with this.

18. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

100% agree.

19. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

doesn't sound too good when the amp is set to clean on my BF bassman ... but to push the amp over the edge ... the hotcake sounds awsome.

20. n8b

n8b Member

Thanks man, I appreciate the compliment. The Hotcake is totally different animal, though. I used it mostly to push an amp on the edge of breakup. I have tried a lot of pedals in the same spot, but none of them have the same presence or bite that the Hotcake had. I couldn't see using it as an overdrive with a clean amp, though.