All this Two-Rock Talk...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ronw, Jan 18, 2008.

1. ronw

ronw Member

...has gotten me a little intriqued. I'm doing my best not to be the flavor of the month type. This company seems to have been around for a little while. A couple of questions:
    1. What type of music do all you TR users play? All of you can't be Carlton/Ford/Santana/Dumble wannabees, can you? Just kidding. ;)
    2. Looking at the current list of TR models, the Classic Reverb seems most appealing to me. Anyone have this amp? If so, what do you think?
    Thanks!

2. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I played it, and its a real cool amp, but to me it seems silly to get that and miss the overdrive channel of the other TwoRocks. Great cleans for sure, but the overdrive channels are insane. Its just which ONE do you want, because they are all incredible. Im losing my mind dialing in hundreds of great tones on my sig, and its a one trick pony compared to the classic I overdrive I played. :eek: That thing could keep you busy for years, and every tone was better than the next. I would end up going back to the mad house that I just got out of. ;)

3. ronw

ronw Member

To risk sounding ignorant (I don't really care..."for no question is bad"), is the demographic for these amps primarily gun slinging soloists, or can they be used to comp good rythmn work? ...overkill for rythmn work?

4. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I didn't buy into it for along time. I recently got an old EMerald, it is one that people don't really talk about as much. It suppsoedly has more of a mArshall hinted gain channel. I find it super smooth, but just enough bite. Heck, I wish it had alittle more bite or growl to it! That's why I'm going to try the Carol Ann, from all the descripts it might be the best fo both worlds as my Emmy is almost.
    Personally, I prefer my TR for leads far more than rythmns. Now cleans, they are just great! Big fat BF, or at least what my ears think is the ideal BF type cleans.
    I play mainly hard Blues, hard classic rock, and even some 80's Metal.

5. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Depends what music and if you want a clean only amp or a clean and OD channel.
    I've owned a few TR's and still have two.
    You can't go wrong with a Custom Reverb Sig.
    Version 1 Sig's pop up used for around 3K or so.
    Then there is the newer Version 2 that I've seen used for 4.6K.

6. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I actually think they are a lot more flexible than what you'd think based on comments around here. I can get great classic rock crunch as well as the smooth sustain thing that everyone focuses on. Cleans can be super clean or edgy. And Andyland6 (i think) had some clips that got close to metal territory.

Personally, I fall on the classic rock-ish side of things, and when I play with my friends I do more rhythm & comping than leads, and the TRs do a great job.

The classic reverb looks interesting, and I'd like to try one. But Tag's comments seem to ring true. It would have to be one HELL of a good clean channel to give up the TR leads. I just can't imagine it being that much better than my sig to justify losing the other channel. But I'd withhold final judgment until I get one in here to see for myself.

7. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

Here I go again.....This was in reference to the CRS, but applies to nearly all current TRs.

The best written articulation of the amps tone was described in the Tonequest review article. These two paragraphs from that article sum it up - IMHO!

"There are tones the Two Rock won’t do... mainly really greasy Lindley/Cooder/Barbeque Bob stuff. The sustain is there, but instead of greasy, porkful tones, the Two Rock is infused with amber sugar maple runnings and truffle oil. It’s just too good to sound like a small, old, cheap amp, but why in hell would you buy one of these for that anyway?

"The Signature Custom Reverb is one of the most versatile and utterly toneful amps we have ever played, and it’s hard to imagine a style of music that the Signature can’t cut with style and a voice that will have your buddies begging to plug in. Again, it will not produce the raggedy-ass beauty of a crude old Valco or Gibson from the ‘50s, but that’s a minor compromise. What it does deliver is pristine, rich clean tones and every possible variation of subtle to completely over the top distortion, while never sounding harsh, too sharp, muddy, or artificially cranked. We couldn’t find a bad tone in it, and we tried."

8. ronw

ronw Member

Take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5AvdsOzR_0

Lots of rythmn playing with a Jet. Does this recording represent pretty well what that amp sounds like playing chords?

FWIW: I won't beat a dead horse here. I"m just trying to find out whether a TR is the right amp for my needs. Unfortunately, I don't live close to any TR dealers. With the prices TR's are selling, some due diligence and proactive research is critical.

Thanks!

9. sws1

sws1 Member

I think anywhere you would think to use a Fender DR (or other) and some pedals, you can use a CR Sig. That's how I view mine.

If I want to get my Marshall-sound on (only better), I use my Bogner. If I want to go Fender and pedals (only better), I use CR Sig.

I don't play any jazz / fusion. I'm not good enough.

10. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Yeah, I think the cleans could be used anywhere, and for Blues - not just Robben tone Blues - they are great. I really dig Volker Strifler's very strat-ly tone thru his em pro.

11. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

I have a TR Classic Type III, and it comes up with any tone I've requested so far. I mean early Gibbons, early Mark Knopfler the latest Knopfler, early Allmans, jack the gain a little kick in the f.e.t turn the contour 1/4 turn and theres Haynes. Yes I can set it to do Ford or Carlton ifI want. This amp is so versatile it's unreal with no tradeoffs. Its without a doubt the most versatile amp I've ever had. The contour control on the second channel is a big part in the vesatility of this amp. You can add that Marshall Karraag or take it right out and used in conjuction with the lead trim even adds more tones. You can make it bite like a parana or as smooth as double whipped butter. I've had the amp for 2 months next week and hell thats a record for me becauce like so many on here we change amps like underwear!:D

It's a good feeling finding and amp that does everything so well, but kinda like the dating days, I misss the hunt.:jo

12. GasMask

GasMask Member

I own a Classic Reverb and couldn't be happier with it! :AOK

To me, this is a clean/verb dream machine. With multiple ways to control the voicing of the amp, voicing of the reverb, and the response of both the pre-amp and power-amp sections, the versatility is staggering. It's true, this amp is optimized for cleans, but can actually cover quite a lot of ground. I have an Elmwood Modena I use for leads. I considered the Bruno Cowtipper as a clean/verb alternative. I went with the Classic Reverb for it's versatility and effects loop.
    If higher gain lead tones were important, the Custom Reverb Sig. V2 would be my choice. For players who want the no compromise best cleans, or those who like to use pedals for gain, the Classic Reverb is hard to beat!

13. ronw

ronw Member

Ok, I did it. I've got a new TR Classic Type 3 on the way. I know I have a few friends who think I'm nuts for doing it...who think I'm too smart to "part with that kind of cash for an overpriced copy of an overpriced amp that most people's ears can't hear a whole lotta difference between it and a $300 1968 silverface bassman." I certainly hope I will be able to hear the difference.

I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Thanks for all your help.

14. mprvise

mprvise Member

Well congrats! Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I've had a CR Artist for over three years and recently started using it on gigs again. The last gig I used it on was 100% rhythm. I was very happy with the tone, and so was the guy who had to sing/solo over it all night. Not overkill at all, just a great sounding amp for just about any purpose.

15. ronw

ronw Member

That's great to hear. My situation is that I'm a lead singer who plays primarily rythmn...with just a spattering of guitar solo pieces here and there. Cool!

16. theHoss

theHoss Member

I just picked up a used artist, and I couldn't be happier. I was able to get a good price on it, so that was a large part of the decision. I really don't know what the v1 or v2 sig can bring to the table the Artist doesn't. It is really that nice of amp. Well, I guess the variable power is one feature that does cost more to implement. But if you look past that, the Artist is a pretty amazing amp. I would like to try the classic platforms. They look (and from the clips I have heard) very promising. I would love to hear about some of your settings and what type of guitar you are running through your artist.

ronw, once your Classic gets in, let us know what you think.

17. mprvise

mprvise Member

Last few gigs with the Artist a Grosh Bent Top Custom and a Danny Gatton Tele were used. Usually, the amp is used as a good platform for pedals, so the gain channel is used just a few times a night. Tone stack bypass is also used a few times per gig on average.

I've been using a 2X10 Port City cab (Rajin Cajuns) with the Artist recently - sounds fantastic! Better than any other cab for my purposes. I got a TR 1X12 when I got the artist, but other amps I have sound better through it.

As far as settings, I'm going from memory (amp not in front of me right now), but usually it's like this:
    SWITCHES
    feedback - down
    treble - up
    mid - depends, usually down
    bass - down

KNOBS:
    treble - between 11:00 and 1:00 (last gig 1:30)
    mid - between 11:00 and 1:00 (last gig 10:30)
    bass - 9:00 - 10:00 (last gig 8:30)
    gain - around 3:00 (last gig 3:00 dead on)
    lead gain - around 1:00 (last gig 1:30)
    presence - 11:30 (last gig 11:30)
    reverb - 9:00ish typically (last gig 8:30)
    volumes - to taste, the adjust overall volume of the amp with loop master (last gig - master at 1:00, lead master at 2:00, loop master at 11:00)

I'll try to verify those settings later based on the settings from the last gig, but I think I'm really close.

EDIT for last gig setting verification

18. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

Your in for one more treat. Mine sounds so good I feel like I stole it. It makes my 67 Super Reverb sound like it's broken, so much so I actually put it in the closet. Lead tones are just absolutly smokin, and rythm tone as well. If you need some tips on settings pm me and I'll be glad to help. Oh yea don't be nervous, just excited.

19. ronw

ronw Member

Nice! Thanks for the encouragement. Also, cudos to Cliff at Destroy All Guitars. He's been extremely helpful, and simply a wealth of useful information. He's gone out of his way to make the purchase as painless as possible!!

20. johnzias

johnzias Member

I've owned the CRS II and currently play a Classic Reverb. Sure it's a clean amp, but not Twin Reverb, or even Cowtipper 45 clean. It has lots of harmonic color. It also has the F.E.T circuit for extra juiciness.

FWIW, I'm very happy with it.