All-tube amp with "full" MIDI control of all parameters (like Strymon Sunset)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 9985, Sep 1, 2019.

1. oneblackened

oneblackened Member

It's unlikely you'll find anything outside of small boutique units that offer things like motorized pots for controls. They're expensive as hell compared to normal pots (like, 10x the cost!), and the motors are somewhat prone to failure - ask any studio technician about motorized faders.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  2. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Doesn't matter that it's out of production -- you only need one (not 20 or 30).
    Everyone has their price.
    Start with a WTB in the TGP Emporium.
    And set up alerts on Reverb and eBay.
    And call Stone Deaf and ask if they know anyone who wants to sell.
    Give them your number, in case they find someone.

And make a Stone Deaf thread right here in Amps & Cabs.
    When people post to about their amps, PM them and ask if they want to sell.
    Where there's a will...

OTOH, if you are only willing to pay $1000, then you don't really want it.

3. 9985

9985 Member

None of the HK or Stone Deaf models appeared to used motorized pots. I'm not sure how they are capturing /recalling the values (must be something other than analog pots?)

4. Ejay

Ejay Member

5. oneblackened

oneblackened Member

DAC with rotary encoders perhaps.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  6. 9985

9985 Member

Appreciate the tips, I did create search/alerts in several places. I'm holding off making proactive "wtb" offers for now, would want to hear one first. I have bought plenty of modest priced items blind , but an amp that will likely run $1500-2k used, I want to try one first. What I was getting at about wishing it was in production, is that would allow trying one at a dealer. There's recent sold history of used Switchblade combo listings inside my "blind trial" ballpark, common enough that one will eventually pop up.

davidespinosa likes this.
  7. 9985

9985 Member

Yeah, that's admitting defeat on the all tube quest.

8. Ejay

Ejay Member

Yup..no lightbulbs!
    It does deliver your functional whishes in spades.
    Sound...well...Obvioulsy opposing opinions enough ;)
    Wether its 100% or not isnt for this thread...but let me say the build in ss amp is super convinient..and I plug it into a tube powersection of a combo if i go “all in”...so “hybrid” is a nice option if you ask me.

9. 9985

9985 Member

Understand, I don't want to turn this into a debate about merits of modelers/hybrids over all-tube, there's tons of threads of that sort out there already. Most interested in identifying any other all-tube full MIDI options (heads or combos) other than those already covered: Zinky Superfly, Stone Deaf SD30/SD50, HK GMD40, HK Switchblade, HK Coreblade (which is way too metal focused for what I need), and the mythical Caswell 39.

10. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

Suhr Hedgehog...almost. The EQ can’t be stored via midi but the gain, level and voicing switches can be.

Ejay likes this.
  11. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

12. 9985

9985 Member

thanks- someone else mentioned Hedgehog earlier in the thread, the manual didn't say anything about those added MIDI features. Odd that they would implement it for gain/level/voicing & leave out the EQ.

13. 9985

9985 Member

Thanks. The compactness of a 1x12 combo is the best scenario for me, if I eventually give into the rack pre/power config, good to know that there are nice designs meant to sit on a cabinet. I have a full-depth 4U rack case for a GK bass head & it overhangs the edge of small bass cabinets, always worried it's going to tip over if it gets bumped.

14. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

The manual explains it all, like page 5
    It also says this on the webpage.
    PROGRAMMABLE VOICING
    Flexible voicing switches are accessible via the front panel and stored in presets. The voicing options include an overdrive gain stage, two levels of deep boost, mid and bright. Save presets of your voicing, boost, and effects loop modes for instant recall via the included 4 button footswitch or third-party MIDI controller

As far as doing that with potentiometers like volume etc? It does not do gain/ level potentiometers, just all the switches which do affect gain and level. To do pots it would have to be neutered since it is hard to make a tube amps control potentiometers with the signal voltages that those volumes and tone controls see. That is a whole different ballgame and expense. An amp that does that would not be 100% analog tube path like the Hedgehog is.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019 at 9:16 PM
    9985 and TimH like this.
  15. 9985

9985 Member

Appreciate the clarification about the Hedgehog, the way you explained it is how I understood it. I'm very interested in your comment about anything that affects pot values equating to 'neutering' and no longer being an all analog path.

So- does that mean that all the others on the list that do allow preset /recall of pot values are 'neutered' & not true analog signal path?

16. Husky

I’m not following the thread, just wanted to clarify the questions about the Hedgehog and why it is not so easy to add programmable potentiometers.

I said “it” meaning the Hedgehog would have to be neutered from it’s original design intent of an all tube humble flavored amp. I didn’t say anything about any other amps. Programmable potentiometers have a max signal voltage that is easily exceeded in a typical tube amplifier which would require padding and IMO compromises especially if we are talking about converting a typical circuit. Many programmable tube amps are hybrid SS and some tube fire that reason. The only way to preserve an existing all tube circuit and add programmed controls without tonal compromise would be motorized potentiometers which get real expensive real quick and can be a little laggy. I only went through 3 pages here but does an amp exist with programmable potentiometers (excluding the Caswell) that is a 100% tube path?

Also after trying all of this in the 90’s I really think the need to have programmable volumes or EQ can be managed so many other ways much more efficiently and you really wind up on tweaking very little between presets. I’ve done the Caswell thing and I was surprised how little having those presets of all the volumes meant especially when I usually had my global volume at my feet.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 12:23 AM
    9985 likes this.
  17. 9985

9985 Member

Just realized who authored this response - very much appreciate the input about your company's amp, and also for refining my initial question in this thread down to the capability / limitations of programmable pots in all tube path, hope we can get some good answers.

18. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

Actually, you did make categorical statements that all amps would be neutered and you subsequently edited your post at 12:23 last night to limit your comments to make it seem like you were only discussing the Hedgehog. It jumped out at me because I had a Zinky Superfly circa 2005 or so is one example of a fully midi capable amp with an all tube signal path that uses non-motorized potentiometers. It's ok to be wrong some times. It's okay to admit it.

19. Husky

Not true, I edited my “response” when I realize the OP took what I said a little out of context, I never edited the original statement where I said specifically. “It would have to be neutered” that is specific in its meaning “the Hedgehog” which is what I was talking about and is my design so I figure I can say that. Thank you though for your concern on my statement and for being such a watchdog, we need that around here.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:31 AM
  20. muzishun

muzishun Member

My boss gt3 changes amp channels with midi