All you Vintage Gibson guys read this>> wow

devinb

I suppose if there is some way to authenticate the switch ring, it's probably worth all the expenses to have a 100% 'original' if you can call it that guitar...

That said, it's nuts.

bonchie123

Silver Supporting Member
I can never get that site to open for me. Always times out. Anyone else have that problem?

brandie_witch

I believe a 50's les paul pickguard goes for around $8-9000.

I paid some good money for parts to make the bottom 225 original again:
foresome.jpg

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
Yawn, this is so played out and tired. It goes on a $300k guitar. If you have one and are missing the ring, go find one. If you don't have one, then what do you care.

Bwahaahha...even better are the guys who are willing to spend $300 for a set of plastic pickup mounting rings from DMC for their Historic Reissue's to make them appear more Historically correct :worried

Now I've yanked a set or two of Burstbuckers out of Historics to upgrade, but the switching out the plastics thing is sort of lost on me. Whatever, play the damn things.

scottlr

Considering what the LP is worth, that doesn't seem too bad to me, in context. On its own, it seems outrageous.

John Phillips

Very cool. I've always liked 225s, a very under-rated guitar IMO. Blonde ones are rare too... especially Ds, so two is extra cool :cool:. I had a '57 single-pickup Blonde which I fitted a Bigsby to - it came to me with a badly-fitted crappy non-original trapeze and a cheap floating bridge, so I think I actually improved it... at least it was a 'period correct mod' afterwards :). I couldn't get on with the position of the pickup though... right in the way. If it had been a D I would most likely still have it, so I'm jealous ;).

I hate you for the single-PAF 175 too BTW :p. I had the case from one, once :).

And hogy is right, of course. Un-duplicatable original parts in incredibly limited supply - because the number ever made is basically the same as the number of original guitars - are worth more or less anything you want, to the person who needs one to restore an otherwise all-original guitar. And yes they are un-duplicatable, if you know what to look for.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
off-topic, but i think this picture answers a question for me. it looks like yes, i can put a "trapeze-wraparound les paul tailpiece thingy" on my es125tdc, if i ever find one for it. that's the only bridge i can think of that will give me decent sustain and string-bending response on a fully hollow guitar with such a shallow neck angle.

BobboVisMe

Almost 3 Million dollars worth of what I like to call BurstHeaven !

burstheaven.jpg

if you dig vintage bursts take a look at mylespaul.com

John Phillips

off-topic, but i think this picture answers a question for me. it looks like yes, i can put a "trapeze-wraparound les paul tailpiece thingy" on my es125tdc, if i ever find one for it. that's the only bridge i can think of that will give me decent sustain and string-bending response on a fully hollow guitar with such a shallow neck angle.
You need an actual ES-225 one - the '52 Les Paul one isn't long enough. Unfortunately the 225 one seems rarer - I tried finding one when I had my 225, and couldn't, although I did come across a couple of LP ones... so I put the Bigsby on it instead.

FWIW, fitting a Bigsby also increases the sustain on one of these guitars in my experience - even without the front roller bar, which you don't want on a fully-hollow guitar anyway. I assume it's the much greater mass that does it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom