All You Wah Junkies, How Many of You Have Multiple Wahs on your board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Josh O, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

C'mon ya'll, admit it! I have a Teese Wizard wah which handles all of the high gain I can throw at it, of course, it really can't cop that 60's Clyde tone. I've had various Crybaby's and a Fulltone Clyde and went to the Wizard because it handles distortion really well. Now I'm thinking of adding another wah for those White Room moments. Who else here runs mutiple wahs?

2. n8b

n8b Member

I have 6 wah's: 2 crybabies, a rocktron black cat moan wah, a morely black gold wah, a dod wah/volume, and a boss v-wah. I mostly use the 2 crybabies and the black cat. I am only a bedroom player right now however. If I were to play out, I would only use the 2 crybabies. The rundown:

Crybaby 1 (I painted it blue, I've had it since I was 16) is modded to have a slight boost and to have more of a throaty "aw" sound and a smoother sweep transition.

Crybaby 2 has a jfet input buffer and has a weird low end resonance when rocked forward quickly. It's voiced to "wah".

The rocktron has the "moan" function which I modded to have less of a volume boost and more gain. When it's kicked in, there is an envelope in the sweep of the wah where it's possible to feedback like crazy. I use it mostly for noisemaking.

I modded the Morley so that it didn't drop volume. It's really fake and exaggerated. Cool for synth-like sounds with the right gain pedal.

I bought the boss cheap for the Univibe setting, but don't use it much. The dod is too small and gets used for cocked wah settings.

3. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Just 1. Teese RMC-2...it does everything I want in a wah.

4. gururyan

gururyan Member

I'll expand my collection just as soon as I can get the basics down with using a wah. I am just not getting something...when I use a wah it's just not.....not........something is missing. I need a lesson on how to properly use a wah.

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Well a lot of people will start at the heel position and do a full sweep down and back for each note played. I don't really do this though. I tend to play my wah out of rhythm on purpose. Or do many very fast sweeps for each note played...I still have to practice this as it requires this "jelly leg" technique which does not feel very natural. Anyway the best thing to do I think it just play it. Maybe do a little funk thing to get the rhythm thing down and experiment from there.

6. n8b

n8b Member

Wah is cool when used sparingly. I like wah on some rhythm parts, using it more like a really slow adjustable rate tremolo. It's cool on some lead stuff, to accent runs or a bent or held note. Sweeping in rhythm gets tired sounding really quick. You have to find the sweet spot in a wah, too. That's why I modded mine, so the sweep felt more natural and there wasn't such a sharp knee.

7. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Picture Wah on the Board

Italian Jen, Thomas Organ, Colorsound, De'Armond Thunderbolt in the closet.

8. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey guys,

I keep my 2 Area 51 wah pedals and my vox V847 on 3 different pedalboards. I have a studio rack guitar rig, a live rack guitar rig and an analog pedalboard rig so I have my wah pedals setup and ready to go.

Guitar George

9. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

No board, but I own 4 wahs. A 60's Colorsound, a '67 Maestro Boomerang, a Picture Wah and a Fulltone Clyde. They each have something different to offer. Nice to have some variety.

10. bryan83

bryan83 Member

Well I got my Crybaby (modded/TB) then my discombobulator, so if you consider the emma a wah (sort of an auto-wah)then I guess yea I do have 2.

11. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i have two on the board: a roger mayer vision wah and a parachute wah. the parachute is very synthy and the vision wah covers lots of more traditional wah ground.

in the stable i also have a RMC-3, picture wah, and clyde deluxe. i'm still trying to decide if i need all these ... incidentally the RMC-3 is for sale: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116811

but i also have a q-tron on the board and a big jam spit wah for other wah-related needs :)

12. Python

Python Member

I have an RMC Picture Wah and an RMC3 wah but I only have one at a time on my pedalboard. I switch between the two depending on the mood.