Allan Holdsworth Live At Yoshi's DVD Rip

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tomaburque, Mar 26, 2020 at 6:47 PM.

Tags:
  1. tomaburque

tomaburque Member

Standard def video but the DVD audio is quite good, very crisp and uncompressed. The Man on guitar, in fine form with a fantastic backup group. The esteemed Jimmy Haslip on bass. Ace drummer Chad Wackerman looking about the same as he looked in 1982 when I saw him with Holdsworth in Berkeley, this guy does not age. I was not previously hip to Alan Pasqua who was with Holdsworth in Tony William's Lifetime back in '75. I just love the palette of 70s style Hammond organ and Fender Rhodes tones he gets out of his Nord including some nasty distorto ring modulator action à la early Jan Hammer (28:45).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 6:56 PM
    HoweFan, Kevbo599, corbeano and 9 others like this.
  2. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

3. Solarflares

Solarflares Member

This is the one you will be staggered by.
    Such beauty , and flowing magnificence.
    11.00 is pure Allan.

Me and him split 4 gallons of beer , and 80 Marlboro one night in a University bar on the UK tour. Amazing what you can drink in 3 hours when the conversation is flowing.
    Ran the gig late whilst we got tanked! The roadie eventually found us , and told us that the gig would be cancelled if he didn’t hit the dressing room and gear up straightaway.
    For Allan that meant taking off his jacket!

After the gig , the atmosphere in the dressing-room was frosty to say the least , but the roadie had managed to find some cans of beer , and we got stuck in. I only left when I felt I couldn’t stand up anymore. What a night - seeing Bruford rib Eddie Jobson backstage for being so serious , that was hilarious.

If I could remember a tenth of what Allan told me about music...........
    But the main topic for us was getting out of his situation with UK , and forming his own band - and doing a Holdsworth record. We spoke of the Lifetime experiences , which Allan was fond of - although he was left broke after 2 years , and had to sell his beloved SG to get home.
    My suggestion was to get in touch with Alan Pasqua , but I think Allan was wary of an american situation again so soon.
    The Bruford band was a godsend really , but the seeds had been long-sown for a solo-venture - and I could see Allan wasn’t comfortable.

Then Allan met Gary Husband , and everything changed.
    I lost touch with Allan and was living in Sweden by then , but was so happy to see the IOU album in the stores - and even happier that he’d rekindled his friendship with Alan Pasqua.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 10:53 AM
  4. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

While it's great that the Yoshi's performance is there for people to perhaps be exposed to Allan's music, I hope people consider actually buying the DVD to give his family some $$$.

tomaburque and tribalfusion like this.
  5. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

jeez.
    That’s magnificent.

6. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I saw that mini-tour--they did two nights here in Seattle, it was great. Always made me wonder why he wasn't here more often. There was a quite a buzz in the musicians community over the chance to see the man for the first time in many years.

7. willyboy

willyboy Member

Allan's playing on the Yoshi's disc is my favorite, it's a great sounding recording. He is absolutely brilliant, on fire and at the top of his game. The band could not be a better fit and they are all outstanding as well.

freedom's door likes this.
  8. Splinterhead

Splinterhead Member

Allan performed at the musical school I teach at 6 or 7 times and I got to know him fairly well over a 10 year period.
    First time I met him I had to pick him up from the motel he was staying, about an hour away, very interesting conversation on the way back!
    He was such a thoughtful, self deprecating, person with that killer English wit....he's sorely missed.

b_goatman, Inoshishi and willyboy like this.