Allan Holdsworth style approach notes - vid

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Chandlerhimself, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Chandlerhimself

Chandlerhimself Member

Here is another video on Holdsworth's lead style. This time I'm going over approach notes. What I show here is slightly different than the usual jazz style approach notes, but its similar enough that if your familiar already, these should be a piece of cake. Let me know what you think.

yfeefy, PFunk, dsimon665 and 5 others like this.
  2. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

Another great video! I wasn’t sure where you were going at first, but then it came together. I’ll look for this on the next Holdsworth transcription I go over next week.

Thanks!

3. Chandlerhimself

Chandlerhimself Member

Thanks. It was hard to organize this in a way that was clear. I wasn’t sure how far I should go down the approach note jazz theory. I didn’t want to bore people with stuff they already knew, but I was afraid if I didn’t people wouldn’t know what I’m talking about. I’m jist happy people understand it and this series has received a positive reception.

cram likes this.
  4. flavaham

flavaham Member

I don't think you need to have a huge hold on jazz to understand approach notes. I think it translates to many styles.

I hear a lot of approach note stuff in the lines that Derek Trucks plays and sometimes it seems like he uses entire triads to approach one note, almost spanning the octave. Your examples are good because they don't come directly from a diatonic scale.

Holdsworth still eludes me on so many levels. His lines always seem so out to me and I have a hard time hearing what the harmony is sometimes. I hear a lot of somewhat ambiguous chords or chord scale ideas that get very dense and lose me in a hurry! I plan to go back through your videos and see if I can't unlock a few secrets! I'd love to understand his vocabulary a little better!

Thanks for sharing!

5. cram

cram Member

red sidebar-legend: obvious genius.

6. Chandlerhimself

Chandlerhimself Member

Thanks. Holdsworth is still a mystery for me sometimes too, but I think that is part of the beauty of his playing. It sounds wonderful, but you don't know quite how its created. I'll have to check out more Derek Trucks too.

7. p.j.

p.j. Member

8. flavaham

flavaham Member

I’m at work and running through some forums so maybe a google search later will net the results I am looking for.

Allan’s playing was just ridiculous. I listen and usually I’m lost seconds into a song. What I’m looking for is some chord charts to put with some of his music. It’s great that he could run these lines like butter but I feel like just transcribing those lines won’t net great results without knowing the harmony and frankly the harmonies get pretty dense. Not sure what would be harder - to accurately transcribe his melody lines or the harmony!

I’m reading through the thesis posted above and finding it pretty interesting, so thanks for that!

9. Chandlerhimself

Chandlerhimself Member

p.j. - Thanks. That's a very interesting thesis, I'll have to read it all when I have more time.

flavaham - There are quite a few lead sheets out there of Holdsworth's songs, but you have to track them down since they aren't all in one place.

10. yfeefy

yfeefy Member

nice ear opening ideas for improvised fusiony leads, thank you...

Tmidiman likes this.
  11. Chandlerhimself

Chandlerhimself Member

No problem. Thank you for watching.