Allan Holdsworth's Financial Situation

ZosoRush

I knew Alan pretty well. Met him through Paul Williams before he came here.
Alan chased his muse as hard as anybody ever has.
I loaned him my PCM 70 when I went to Jamaica once. He hated it.
He knew exactly what he wanted for his art and everything else came second.
He was a really good guy but not so much with a family and other normal life responsibilities.
Damn. This sucks to hear.

TrueFifth

Re the ADATs and hard drives...

The individual concerned has seen wisdom and the items are currently in transit back to Virgil Donati, who the Holdsworth family regard as the ideal custodian at this time.

Good to hear!
(I tried to find an email address on Donati's site to inform him about this, but couldn't find any.)

Good to hear!
(I tried to find an email address on Donati's site to inform him about this, but couldn't find any.)
I emailed Virgil as soon as I heard, but he had already been alerted by Evan Marien. Several stern emails followed, and the matter was swiftly resolved.

In other news, noises are being made about finishing these albums with guest soloists. However I have said this before, so I advise taking a "wait and see" attitude.

That's sad. Sounds like Allan was his own worst enemy.
He was in many ways. Everyone who knew him and loved him just had to accept that this was who he was.

On the positive side, I am in contact with Vai's management (Steve is currently on tour) with a view to clearing the roadblocks that he talks about in the video about releasing Allan's incomplete final album. The Holdsworth family is agreeable to the idea, which is a good starting position. Filling out the roster of guest soloists would be an interesting challenge.

LikeLinus

He was in many ways. Everyone who knew him and loved him just had to accept that this was who he was.

On the positive side, I am in contact with Vai's management (Steve is currently on tour) with a view to clearing the roadblocks that he talks about in the video about releasing Allan's incomplete final album. The Holdsworth family is agreeable to the idea, which is a good starting position. Filling out the roster of guest soloists would be an interesting challenge.
I would imagine he had to have recorded some lead material (over 17 years!) to go with the rhythm tracks he sent to Steve. Steve is right, they are probably on a hard drive somewhere. It would be nice if they could work with the family and use what they can find. Even if it's not meant for that particular song, match the time signatures and feeling of the song. Then maybe use guest artist to fill in the holes.

Guess we shall see. Good luck in everything you are doing to help!

Ozone Baby

If it helps the family, I'm all for the last album being released, but honestly, I don't want to hear "guest soloists" on AH tracks. If Allan at least recorded the rhythm parts, I'd rather hear it just like that.

Steve is right, they are probably on a hard drive somewhere.
It's a very reasonable line of thinking, but I have looked through every house, garage, storage unit, car, friend's garage and anywhere else that Allan set foot in during the last three years of his life to find these alleged drives. To the best of my knowledge, he did not preserve a single solo recording anywhere.

Dominik

It's a very reasonable line of thinking, but I have looked through every house, garage, storage unit, car, friend's garage and anywhere else that Allan set foot in during the last three years of his life to find these alleged drives. To the best of my knowledge, he did not preserve a single solo recording anywhere.
Sounds consistent with the way he operated even at his creative peak in the 80s and 90s, erasing solo takes he wasn't happy with and making sure there was nothing left over.

Several musicians you’ve worked with who love your playing have said they can’t understand why you’re so hard on yourself since you blow them away all the time. Do you use that as a tool to push your creative limits?

Yes, I’ve done that a few times. Things can be hard because sometimes when I play something, it’s going to have similarities to something I’ve done before. I try not to do the same things so it feels like I’m really improvising, but sometimes I catch myself and think “Geez, didn’t I hear that somewhere else?” and I’ll go and erase two or three tracks at a time. I did a lot of stuff for the guys in Planet X. I was supposed to play on everything on one of their albums, but in the end I only played on two tracks. I originally played on seven tracks, but I came back from the pub one night and played the stuff and hated it, so I erased it. The next morning, I thought I should listen to the original tracks again to see what I could do with them, but in my stupor, I had actually reformatted the drives and needed to get the material retransferred so I could start again. Unfortunately, I ended up not finishing the project. It’s funny. Jimmy Johnson would sometimes come to my house and pay a visit just to make sure I wasn’t erasing everything when we were working together. [laughs] I dunno. I always want things to be better and it never is in the end. You eventually just give up and go “Okay, I guess that’s it.” Once a record is done, I never worry about it again. I’ll slave over it for months and once I get to a certain point, I move on.

Sounds like he could have greatly benefitted from a long-term hands on manager/producer.
But it also sounds like he would not have accepted one.

He had an excellent business manager (Leo Pavkovic) for the last 15 years of his life (at least until the unfortunate relationship breakdown in 2015 which I won't go into right now).

Leo did everything that was humanly possible to keep Allan productive, and touring. But you are right - no-one was ever going to be able to "manage" him creatively.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom