Allan Holdsworth's Just For The Curious now online

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by GovernorSilver, Feb 29, 2012.

1. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Cool, that's some good stuff there.

3. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

I still have this VHS. Haven't watched it in ages. At the time I bought it, I remember thinking that, after I watched it, I wasn't any closer to Allan's single note concepts than before. He is an enigma. Love his chordal concept, though!

4. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

5. RLD

RLD Member

Love that vid but I can't imagine it will be up for long.
    Gotta be copyright infringement.

6. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Seeing him March 28th. Can't wait!

7. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I guess one could think of the Youtube vid as a preview of the DVD. According to the Amazon reviews of the DVD, it's just a reissue of the original VHS tape, with no new material added. However, the sound is reportedly improved.

I read on the therealallanholdsworth.com forum (before it was deleted) that Holdsworth himself got no money from the VHS tape sales, so he didn't care if people put up stuff from the tape online. But this was before the DVD release.

I once had the VHS tape but gave it away when I gave up on playing the guitar. Now that I'm playing guitar again, I'll probably get the DVD release, so I can watch the in-studio performances and review stuff at my leisure when I don't have Internet access. I still have the book version, which has transcriptions of the solos, including the lovely solo arrangement of "House full of Mirrors".

8. p.j.

p.j. Member

I remember watching the tape with friends and we'd repeat, in a Holdworthian accent, "I just juggle the notes a bit." He was kind of like our music god and Monty Python skit rolled into one.

PJ

9. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

10. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

A couple of other pearls from this vid:

35'40": Don't let your hands dictate what you think you can play. Take a look at those fingerboard charts and imagine your eyes dancing on the notes that you can play. Forget about whether your hands can do it or not and just play.

36'45": I never really wanted to play the guitar. I don't really like the guitar...

Well, we're glad you decided to do it anyway, Allan.

11. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green Member

I love Allan... man he's something else. I haven't seen this but i suspect he is from Mars so I will get little from it.

I always thought the best way to cop his thing is if you use fingers 2,3&4 the way you normally use fingers 1,2,&3.... Practice as if you cut off your index finger for a bit. Then use the index to lag a position behind. This will give you those big intervals.

I know this is grossly simplifying what he does... and I mean no disrespect to his process. But it was one of my first observations when I first saw him many moons ago. Of course you kind of need the huge spider hands too!

Thanks for the share!

12. guitar mangler

guitar mangler Member

Holdsy, I believe, hates that video because when they recorded the live band the sound guy recorded the drums and guitar on the same track. This was only found out when it came time to mix the band. Allan attempted to get the band section re recorded, but was told no go and they sold the video as is. Hence his hating of the whole thing. Sounds pretty good to me , tho. Chads drums sound great.
    He also hates that live IOU album, which is one of my favourite recordings. Ever.

13. heavypick

heavypick Member

The clip of "Zone" from that video used to traumatize me. He sounds amazing on it.

14. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I'm actually glad to hear this, because I've felt guilty for years because I stole the original VHS tape from a record store when I was an unruly youth.:facepalm:nuts

I've atoned for my sins by buying plenty of his albums and a ticket to see him live in Boston.

15. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

I'm curious about how folks view those full fretboard scale charts like Allan (or many other people) use to depict all the notes of a scale or pattern.

I believe that Holdsworth really does see the entire fretboard, all the way up the neck, as one snapshot. That would be wonderful, but I've never been able to pull it off. I tend to play in more of a "moving window" approach, where I see and operate within a range of 5-7 frets and am aware of all the note choices within that range. I don't mean that I see only one scale pattern across the neck (that is only 3-4 fret width) -- I can effectively link up the patterns that lie at the center of where I'm playing plus the adjacent ones above and below where I'm currently playing. Then when I move to a different position, I see the next few patterns of notes in that area. BUT I don't see the entire fretboard at once, like Allan apparently does, or like what is depicted in those frets 1 to 12 diagrams that appear in every scale book.

How about you folks? Am I just not there yet or do most players also operate with more of a moving window type of approach?

(Edit: for clarification, what I"m describing doesn't mean I'm stuck in that 5-7 fret range. I can quickly leap around across various regions of the neck to play, for example a series of arpeggios. At any instant, I'm "seeing" things within a restricted zone, but that zone can be shifted instantaeously).

16. RLD

RLD Member

Yeah...I'd say I have a similar "moving window" view.
    For instance, I see the pattern I'm on at the moment and then as sort of aperipheral vision I can see one above and below.
    Then as I move around, that window move with my hand.
    Sometime I'll practice with my eyes closed and see the patterns.
    That really gets fun when playing 16ths and moving around.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  17. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I'm with you w/ the moving window. I guess I have a limited context, far as where I am and where I want to go pitch-wise.

I envy the ability to see 24 frets worth of a scale as it seems like it could make things easier, but it seems so daunting that I've never put any time into it.

I wonder if I had started that way if it would have been different? I distinctly remember the aha moment when I first discovered a pentatonic/blues box playing along with a record and realized that it could be moved around for different keys. That (and the finger per fret size of them) seemed so convenient and simplified things so much that I focused on finding those kind of transposable windows for a long time, which are basically the opposite of the whole board per scale view.

18. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

This would be a good topic for a new thread - not because you're "hijacking" (imo, you're not) but because some people who might have an answer might not see this question because they're skipping this thread for whatever reason (don't like Holdsworth, don't care about the video, etc.).