allegic to nickel?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by curtis, Feb 24, 2009.

1. curtis

curtis Member

Hi,
    I have a customer who has apparently become quite allegic to nickel, and he's considering having all his guitars re-fretted with stainless steel. Lots of work for me, but I'm not so sure its a good idea on his behalf because:
    a) I know some stainless contains small %'s of nickel (i'm about to email jescar)

b) he has a '61 strat that I dont want him to devalue unless its purely a player and he isnt interested in vintage value too much.

Obviously changing the saddles on the strat is another pretty big issue. I dont feel too happy doing it - I dont think he will be particularly happy afterwards... who would be?

anyone else had a similar experience?

2. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

Hmm. I don't think I touch the frets at all when playing. Has he tried switching to non-nickel strings?

3. giannifive

giannifive Member

I know someone with this problem. He uses Elixir strings (the ones with Teflon coating), and that seems to make a big difference.

4. curtis

curtis Member

I also have a friend who is midly allergic and just doesnt use nickel strings anymore and he has no problems, seems like the best plan to me.

...but my recent customer with the allergy seems hellbent of ridding his whole house of nickel.....maybe he'll calm down.

he already uses elixir's, I'll see if they cause real problems.... he may realise he's possibly over-reacting

5. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

Unless he is an unusual case I think he is overreacting. My wife has a nickel allergy discovered when she developed a rash on her navel. Turned out she was allergic to the nickel on the back of the waistband stud on her jeans. The cure was anti-histamines for a week and she started sewing a little cotton patch over the stud. Never been bothered with it again and she handles and polishes all my guitars.