Allen Accomplice c/w 6L6's ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trisonic, Aug 15, 2005.

1. trisonic

trisonic Member

Someone please describe to me their experiences of the Accomplice with 6L6's (with or without the bigger transformers) or EL34's with the bigger Trannies?

If with the 40 watt transformers which 12" speaker is in use? Anyone use EL34's with the larger transformers?

Thanks, appreciate any comments on tone and any issues.

Best, Pete.

2. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Well, I had the larger trannies and used 6L6's. It did have more headroom than with 6V6's but it took a Fender DR Reissue and the Allen Accomplice for me to realize I don't like DELUXE REVERBS!!!!!

But, aside from that the amp was immaculate. Wiring was perfect and it was quiet as a mouse at idle. The RAW control was really cool as well, but it was still too blackface for me.

FWIW, to know where I'm coming from, the 18 watt Marshall is my #1 tone, so that's my frame of reference.

Here's a gut shot of my old Accomplice:

[​IMG]

-Rich

3. timsmcm

timsmcm Member

I was just the opposite. I have an accomplice that I built about 4 years ago and It just absolutely smokes. I did not care for the 6l6s in mine I like the old school sound and my little amp does the blackface game with mucho gusto. I keep trying to find something that will replace it and I cant.

4. Greggy

Greggy Member

That amp has been on my next amp to buy list for about a year. Santa better get his elves to work, there's an Accomplice coming down my chimney this December.;)

5. timsmcm

timsmcm Member

greggy you will love it and I tried a celestion g12h30 in mine and boy does it match up with that little screamer.

6. aeolian

aeolian Member

If you put the larger transformers and 6L6's together, you essentially have a 1-12 Vibroluxe. Actually a pretty cool thing.

Depends on whether you like the break up of the 6V6's or want more clean headroom. I have an Allen transformer set in my DR but I use the 6V6's for that softer mushier thing. I have another amp for louder stuff.

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thanks for the replies, guys.
    Hey, I don't mind if you don't like DR's, I don't really care for Watkins Dominators. It takes all sorts. I still sound like me whatever I bloody play!

If you opt for the bigger Transformers presumably you can use (after adjustment) any of the power tubes down to 6V6?

Best, Pete.

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

Anyone else have a comment before this disappears into the Twilight Zone?

Interested in use with EL34's...........anyone?

Thanks, Pete.

9. calieng

calieng Member

EL34s require the power tubes wired differently than the wiring David uses on the Accomplice (unless it's recently changed)

6V6s really should also have a 5Y3 rectifier in that amp to drop the voltage a bit.

Not to offend the Accomplice owners because I also had one, but I really like the Encore. Depends on what you are looking for. You get all the features of the Accomplice plus tremolo. It is a 2-10" vs. a 1-12" in the Accomplice if that matters.

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

David contacted me recently and advised that the "big transformers" (ie 40 watt) take 6L6's, 6V6 and EL34's but he would have to set it up that way.

He further said it would give it a Marshall type feel which is what I would like in a small package. I agree with what you say about rectifiers.

Thank you very much for replying!

Best, Pete.

11. calieng

calieng Member

Actually the Accomplice with 6L6s and the RAW control cranked got into high gain Marshall territory. I had a G12H30 in mine. With EL34s you definetely should get Marshall sounds. You can also ask David to adjust the cathode bypass cap values a bit to get you closer. I think they are 25uF and you might want to try 2uF for a more plexi sound.

12. trisonic

trisonic Member

Same suggestions for a JTM45 type tone and gain? That's why I'm torn between 6L6's, 5881's, KT66's and EL34's - I've seen them all in them.....

Thanks again, Pete.

13. calieng

calieng Member

You can play around with the cathode cap and resistor values on V1 to adjust the gain and sound. A bigger value cap gives more bass like Fender and a smaller value more of a Marshall tone. The resistor value adjusts the gain. I'm not sure what combination to use on that amp but you can go to www.18watt.com and check out how V1 is wired in some of those layouts to give you an idea of how to tweak some Marshall tones.

There are other circuit changes that you can make (tone stack, PI - PaulC mod (maybe already used in that amp - don't remember), negative feedback switch etc.) but it is such a well designed amp already that some V1 tweaks should be all you need along with the EL34s.

Enjoy! David is a great guy to deal with and his amps are fantastic.

14. MikeP

MikeP Member

I just got one this week.
    I have to agree with what fz said about the wiring.
    An hour after playing it I had to look inside. I have built a few amps but David's work is like amp art! Super clean & tidy.

So far I like it a lot. I am comparing it to a 73 SFDR & I think it does everything as well except maybe the reverb. The accomplice is not quite as wet or lush. But then again I just got it & am still tweaking the knobs.

Being just a bedroom player it has more than enough headroom for me as is with the 6v6's
    In fact the only thing I want to do is make it a little bit softer.

At least with the SFDR I could play it at 3-4 here at home.
    With the Accomplice I am at 1.5 on the vol :eek:

Yeah it is too much amp for a bedroom only player like me but I love the SFDR & wanted to get something similar for when it goes.

David suggested maybe trying a 12at7 in the phase inverter to tame it a bit.

This one has the Celestion G12H-80
    Anyone have a suggestion on the speaker to make it less efficient?

Thanks,
    Mike

15. calieng

calieng Member

I ended up with a 12AT7 in V2 to tame the reverb at bit on the Encore. I also have a 3 spring tank. You may have a 2 spring tank in the Accomplice. There was a problem for a while with the 2 spring Accutronics tanks so David was using the 3 spring tanks instead. It does make the reverb a bit more lush.

The Reverend Alltone was a nice speaker in that amp but they are no longer made. You can get some advice from the other forum members on the new Eminence models as to which one may work well.

The G12H80 is actually an amp modelling speaker the Avatar bought off of Celestion UK. It is a really well made speaker but not particularly suited for blackface amps IMHO. David currently uses the Eminence Red White and Blues in the Accomplice.

16. JPenn

JPenn Member

I'm with ya on the 40 watt Accomplice. I just emailed Allen to see if it was possible and how much it would cost to mod my 76 DR. I love the clean tone and the weight of the Deluxe, but it just breaks up too soon with hums for me. I'm trying to use it with pedals for all of my drive and it just doesn't have the clean space.

17. calieng

calieng Member

Some things that can be done are:

Increase the cathode resistor values for V1 and V2 (try 2k2 cathode with 220k plate resistor)

PaulC mod PI

Solid state rectifier

They all should help but I'm sure David knows a few more tricks and will work some magic on your amp.

If you really want to mod the amp you can add a toggle switch to change between cathode cap values depending on whether you are using single coils or humbuckers...this will effect both gain and frequency response. You could adust the on board cathode cap to 2uF for humbuckers and then switch to a 47uF for a single coil guitar.

Some of the experts may have other ideas...:)

18. MikeP

MikeP Member

Hey thanks!
    Your right & I did not even think of that. I just checked the site & yes it does have the 2 spring reverb. Maybe I will buy the 3 spring & swap it out.

Thanks for the info on the speaker too. It is a bit stiff for my taste. I would like to try something else eventually.