Allen Accomplice; Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 62Tele, Sep 8, 2008.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Going from the wonderful Penn 50 watt that has been my main squeeze for the last four years and building a two amp set. I'm pretty much a blackface guy and like a DR sitting in a room but could never really gig with one due to the lack of headroom. I need a small amp to cover recording and lower volume settings, and reverb is important. The amp looks just about right to compliment a Twin with a half power switch (so 22/35 and 40/80 watt set). I should also add that I've had a couple of conversations with David Allen and he seems like a really decent guy so I like the idea of supporting his product.

So what do you guys think of the Accomplice?

2. topbrent

topbrent Member

If clean headroom and traditional fender reverb sound are your requirement, the regular accomplice, encore, old flame, ect. may not be your best choice.

Several of the mods David Allen performs on the AB763 circuit are to increase overdrive, and lower headroom.

There are easy workarounds for these mods, but I doubt David Allen would be hip to you asking if he could build you one of his amps without any of his improvements or mods to the stock fender circuit.

3. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

My Old Flame may not sound exactly like an AB763 circuit, but it has a good amount of decent head room. (I use the 6L6's, and the bias adjust is on high.) Just put the master on 10 to make it like a non master volume amp, and you should be fine.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  4. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Yeah, headroom is important to me, hence the twin.

I was told the amps are great platforms to work with. I'm not totally married to pure blackface tone (it's OK if we move on a little - I like the Dr. Z EZG-50 for example), but want to be able to get pretty darned close.

5. topbrent

topbrent Member

David Allen likes to run his preamps at much lower voltages than what a twin runs at, hence the lower headroom.

Starve a tube for voltage and current and it will distort earlier.

6. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

OK, so how big of a deal is it to get the amps back to Familiar territory? Conversely, what other builds are truer to the originals? Headstrong? Clark? Others?