Allen Accomplice Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tinkercity, Sep 18, 2006.

1. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Headroom...

What are your opinions on the 40watt Allen Accomplice as far as clean headroom. I bought one a month ago, which had a texas heat in it. I replaced the heat' with a Weber California 12" and the tech figured that the amp's pre-amp section was just engineered to be a hotter section so, it will always break up around 2-3 on the volume (master at taste)...

I've added a new speaker had it worked on...tubes are good...What's next? I need an amp that can hold up some clean headroom and this amp doesn't even seem to clean up as much as a Deluxe Reverb! It's 40watts:eek:

What ya'll think...anything I can do to fix or save and sell?

Much Love eveyone!
    Mike.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

breaks up at 2-3 on the volume control????????

something's not right. talk to David about it.

P.S. Is this a kit amp or one that David built?

3. tinkercity

Damn....I knew something was wrong...Was a kit.

4. Phil M

Phil M Member

I have the 40 watt Old Flame which must be similar. This one was Allen built.

What are your amp settings, what guitar and what pickups? I actually like mine because it gets dirty quick (and I use Les Pauls to help it along), but one thing I've found is that having the 'raw' control on even just a little bit starts to introduce dirt. If I want clean, I turn the raw all the way off, the preamp as low as I can get it, and use the master for volume. Clean gig volume would probably be about 4 or 5 on the master, but don't quote me on that because that's not how I set mine... using the -3db helps, as does using lower output pickups.

I'm sure you've tried this, just trying to help.

5. Madgansound

Madgansound Member

In my experience with the Accomplice I own, I have to run the master full out (or close to it) and use the normal volume as you would on a non-master amp. That is the way David recommends it to be run in the assembly/instruction manual. My Accomplice is set up at 35 watt and clean volume is not an issue. Yes she'll start breaking up at 3-4 but with the master full up, you should be quite loud. For comparison's sake, my 20 watt Blackbird breaks up a much lower audible volume than the Accomplice does. That's not to say there is not something else possibly going on with your amp; but talking about actual numbers on the volume knob - it sounds about right. Hope that helps:)

6. tinkercity

The Accomplice is “gainier” than a stock blackface combo for a number of reasons. For one, it doesn’t have the vibrato circuit to load down the signal like a blackface amp. It is a common mod to disconnect the vibrato on a blackface amp to get a little more gain. The Accomplice is that gainer amp without the vibrato plus it uses all 12AX7 preamp tubes – no 12AT7s. The extra gain makes it a more interesting overdrive amp using the master volume, volume and raw controls to overdrive the preamp.

2-3 is a very loud 2-3 I would imagine. Keep in mind that the Allen controls start at zero while Fender controls start at one. 2-3 on the Allen is like 3-4 on a Fender.

You can try lower gain preamp tubes, especially the first and forth counting from the right side as you look at the back of the amp. A 5751 for V1 and V4 would tame the amp down some.

David

7. xcycle

xcycle Member

Did you think of a SS rectifier. David said me that this would be an option if as long as you made sure you used the correct one. I would ask him to reccomend one so you can be sure.

What Guitar are you using? PU's etc?

My Accomplice is a 35watt. I play Blues/Rock with a couple of not too loud drummers.
    I use a Strat with Fralin Blues which are low output PU's and I have my Vol at 2 Master at 8 and raw at 1 mid at 7 or 8 treble on 5 using RCA blackplate 6l6 and Old Stock Fender 12ax7's (not sure who made them) and 12" Red Fang. I did try AT7's for less distortion and it did seem to hang in there a bit longer.

I have also tried the Eminence Tonker and that gave me a bit more headroom but I prefer the snarky midrange of the Fang.

I love the clean sound. At my settings it does have a bit of grit (I call it "complexity") on it but not too much. Sounds like the classic fender Deluxe with a bit more gain to me.

Eric

8. riffmeister

ah yes, the rectifier. could be the culprit. get a new JJ GZ34 in there. and yes, pop in a couple of lower gain preamp tubes like a 5771 or 12AT7.

BTW I use mine with vol at ~11 oclock, MV at ~4 oclock, Raw off, s/s/h Strat type guitar. the single coils stay clean, just a bit of breakup with the bridge humbucker, step on the OD pedal for some sweet lead tones.

9. tinkercity

I play a custom hollow body koa guitar with humbuckers. They are Seymour Duncan Alnico II's. I have them coil tapped and have a phase switch. I mostly play full humbucking though. Not a really high output pickup...

I'm willing to look at replacing a few things, but i'm wondering if i'm trying to turn an apple into an orange! Of couse i'm looking at other amps, but $ is an issue and I just can't put anymore cash into a deal...even though I would love to have a two rock!

Mike.

10. riffmeister

sorry, one more question.......you have 6L6's, not 6V6's, in your amp, right?

actually two questions. and the bias current on the power tubes is set properly?

11. xcycle

xcycle Member

Mike,
    Very cool music you guys are doing. Nice dynamics!

I was just re reading your post and noticed your above statement.

You should be JUST barely cracking open the Volume for clean( Phil M says the same thing above but wanted to make sure you tried that).

I would try the opposite of what you are doing and go with Master at 8 or 9 and Volume to taste.

Good luck. By the way, a Solid State recifier will kick up the voltage a bit and definitley add headroom. Not sure if it will be enough but you can just plug one in for about $20 bucks. W****R sells them. Fender Twins and Bandmasters use SS Rectifiers.....But you may know that already.

Let us know how it goes.

Eric

12. tinkercity

Thanks for the comments on the music!

I do have 6l6's in there...I usually keep the volume as low as I can and move the master to band levels...It just seems like even with Vol at 2 and master on 2 the sound of the amp breaks up, which means it's the circuit and not the speaker. If I play lighter or keep the guitar volume down it will clean up, but I'd really like to keep the guitar volume all the way up and not have play lightly!

Oh and it was just biased by a tech.

Thanks!
    Mike.

13. riffmeister

Yikes, that is so not right. I hope you can get the situation resolved.

14. xcycle

xcycle Member

Mike,

The Master is only on 2, you will NO clean at that setting.
    With the Vol and Master both on 2 you SHOULD be getting a lot of dirt.

The Volume controls how much distortion and the Master controls how much clean. To get the most clean turn the MASTER all the way up and the VOLUME all the way down and then just turn the VOLUME knob up until you get the volume you need. You should only need to be at about 2 for a very loud clean.

Turn the Master up to 9 and the Volume to 1 or 2.
    Try it You might like it!!
    Or not!!

Eric

15. xcycle

xcycle Member

Yes it is. That's exactly how my accomplice works. You got to get the Master up to near full to get clean. I use those settings to get bedroom level on the edge of breakup. Granted, its not crunching hard, but it certainly isn't clean.

Eric

16. xcycle

xcycle Member

Ok, I just plugged in and Vol on 2 Master on 2 is not a clean sound with my low output Fralins. So with Mike's Humbuckers he is going to be getting quite a bit of distortion with his Guitar turned all the way up. No doubt about it!

Eric

17. riffmeister

I'll try it, my curiosity is piqued! :)

But not tonight, it's too late.

18. tinkercity

In a band situation I do run it how you say...Master dimed and volume about 2. We have a 5 piece band so I need some volume. Still breaks up when I hit the strings with some power.

Mike.

19. xcycle

xcycle Member

Ok then. That settles it. I just wanted to be sure you know?

I for one was overjoyed, after playing a BF ProReverb for many years, to find an amp that gave me some sauce on my cleans at normal band levels without ears bleeding.

Eric

20. Phil M

Phil M Member

xcycle's right, and that's what I was trying to say. Maybe it's not the right amp for your current needs because it sounds like you need more headroom. I don't think it's broken.