Allen Accomplice: Vintage 30, G12H30, Century Vintage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Think Floyd, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Think Floyd

Think Floyd Member

Many people love the Celestion G12H30 in a Deluxe Reverb (or Allen Accomplice). My concern is that the 30 watt speaker will not be able to handle a cranked 22 watt amp. Is it possible that the G12H30 will actually handle more than 30 watts, and is rated conservatively?

My new (to me) Accomplice has a 30 watt Weber Alnico Blue Dog, and I've decided to replace the Weber with a higher wattage speaker. The Weber "seems" as if it could handle the Accomplice, but while I love the tone when it's turned up, I don't care for it at lower volume when the speaker isn't being pushed. Since most of my playing will be at low volume, I want a different speaker.

A few years back I tried another Accomplice through a Celestion Vintage 30 and a G12H30 speaker, and liked both of them better than the stock Eminence Red White and Blues.

As a lousy rhythm guitarist who likes to play a wide range of music (everything from Oldies to Motown/R&B to Black Sabbath), which speaker would be a better fit for me? Will the G12H30 survive a cranked Accomplice on the few occasions that I'll get to play in a band setting? Maybe someone has experience with the Neo Century Vintage, and could compare that to the other two?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Celestions are pretty hardy speakers. I would think a G12H would be able to handle the wattage of a DR unless you're running it wide open most of the time.

But if you want to be extra safe:

If you order a speaker from Weber or Scumback you can get a British voiced speaker like the ones you're referring to, but have them built to your own specs. For instance, a G12H is a 30 watt speaker with a 50oz magnet. They can build you a speaker that's voiced similar to the G12H with a 50oz magnet that handles 65 watts so you never have to worry about blowing it. Also, the G12H came with either a 75hz cone or a 55hz cone, and you can choose which type of cone you want.

I put two Weber Legacies in my '66 Pro Reverb, both with 30oz magnets for early breakup, 65 watt capability, one with a 55hz cone for thick, creamy tones, and one with a 75hz cone for a little more crispness and bite. Very happy with the results.

So if you're looking for a British tone there are lots of options for getting the exact blend you're looking for.

3. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I liked a Weber 12F150 in my AA. Plenty of clean tone. You have the Master and Raw controls to dial in amp OD and gain

4. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I have a Tone Tubby 40/40 in my Accomplice and it is excellent as well. Really balanced across the EQ with a bit of a smoky vibe to it, really nice.

5. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

I pummel a Chinese Celestion G12M rated at 25 W in a Sweet Spot using 6L6's which is also rated at 25 watts. It's been in there and abused for 3 or 4 years and sounds great with no issues.

6. Think Floyd

Think Floyd Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking Celestion only because those are the speakers that I've actually heard with an Accomplice, and I'd prefer not to spend a lot of time and money trying out a multitude of speakers.

Some like the WGS speakers better than the Celestions. They do have a 50 watt clone of the G12H30 (Reaper HP), but youtube video demos don't really help me.

Ideally I'd love a Neo to lighten the amp by a few pounds, but there are so few options. I just want something with a nice clean tone that will also sound good with OD and Distortion.

7. Moot

Moot Member

I've tried a lot of different speakers in my Accomplice - A Gold, Blackbird, Elegante, Weber Blue and Silver, Greenback, RW&B, Wizard, others... My hands down favourite is the Creamback 75H! The 65M didn't have the low-end reach or sparkle in this amp, but the 75H is perfect. Highly recommended.