Allen Accomplice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by riffmeister, Feb 12, 2006.

1. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Tell me something good about these amps. I just ordered a 1x12..............and I want some validation. ;)

2. mkg

mkg Member

First the bad news. I've never played or heard one.
    Now the good news. I've got David's Hot Fudge w/Nuts (6G3) and it's the best amp I've ever played and heard.
    Judging from reports from other Allen amp owners, I don't think it's possible to get a bad sounding or shabbily built Allen amp.
    The Accomplice is his take on the BFDR, right? So you're going to get the best possible Deluxe Reverb with improvements over the original; top shelf components and a few of David's enhancements, like onboard bias jacks and other cool features.
    I'd say things are looking pretty good at this point...
    ;)

3. Robertito

Robertito Member

Oh, man - my favorite amp at the moment. I've had mine for about three years (it's one of the Accomplices built into a Blues Jr. cab), and it sees more action than any of my other amps. Looks like an operating room inside, nice clean fat DR-type tone, and quite portable. I just changed the speaker from a Weber 12A125 to a Weber 12F150T-50, and it's louder and fatter; next I'm finally going to try a pair of 6L6s in it. You're going to love it!

4. riffmeister

Well now, that's encouraging!! :D

All I have to do is wait a month..... :rolleyes:

5. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

They're rippin' amps, Riff. I've had a few of them, and always regretted seeing them head out the door for a new home.

You done good.

6. riffmeister

What's that one sound like? I'm thinking about building that one as a kit some day...

7. mkg

mkg Member

I like the overdriven tones, much sweeter than its blackface counterpart. I tried to highlight them on clip #2 here: http://www.nowhereradio.com/mkg/singles especially in the third segment of the clip (Money for Nothing riff).
    This is one of those amps that can be clean or overdriven at certain volumes depending on pick and finger attack...brings to mind a nebulous term that gets thrown around a lot, "touch sensitive." In my opinion this amp qualifies in spades.

8. mkg

mkg Member

rh, thanks very much!

riffmeister, didn't intend to hijack. I know you're going to dig your Accomplice and I look forward to a detailed report. Would be cool if you could post a clip or two as well.
    :BEER

9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

My problem with this amp is I've only heard it played by a few other guys at some jam sessions over the last couple years. The guys playing through them were soooooo bad. Among the worst players I've been on a stage with. No ears, no knowledge of chords, no sense of appropriateness (like when to lay out)...we've all heard guys like this before. I'm certain they wouldn't sound better through anything else, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it's colored my opinion of the amp a bit.

mkg - nice clips man! And Robertito is a tremendous player (who would sound freekin great thorugh anything) so I know they're capapble of sounding very good. What would you guys say tonally distinguishes them from 60s/70s vintage NMV Fenders?

10. mkg

mkg Member

Leonc, thank you very much for the kind words.
    As far as what distinguishes these amps, and Allen amps in general from 60s/70s vintage NMV Fenders tonally, that's a very good question.
    As mentioned earlier, my experience is limited to one particular Allen, but I think can be generalized to his other amps.
    Tonally, his amps should be virtually indistinguishable from the originals after which they're patterned.
    Any differences will have to do with quality of components and construction, and features that David has included that the old amps didn't have, such as onboard bias jacks and the capability to dial out negative feedback as desired.
    In my opinion what you get with an Allen includes all the great tonal features of the vintage amps mated with top-shell components, first-rate construction, and modern enhancements that make the amps more user friendly.
    Add to that the expertise and accessibility of a master builder, and their real value begins to become apparent.
    :AOK

11. VanStone

VanStone Member

I got my Allen Accomplice Jr. head from David long about last July (6L6 loaded) and have been very, very, pleased with it. It's a definite keeper.

V

12. riffmeister

no hijack....this is as much about David's amps in general as it is about the Accomplice in particular.....

13. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

The Allen Accomplice was my first foray in boutique amps. Built like a tank & very neat. This was the quietest amp I've ever had (talking tube noise & hum, etc). I could have it cranked and only at the very max settings could you tell it was on (until you hit that first note).

It sounded like a real good BF Deluxe Reverb should sound like but what i discovered was I really don't like the classic BF sound for the music I play. Yes, an expensive lesson, but a learning experience nonetheless. I'm 100% in the Marshall 18 watt camp.

Anyway, you'll find the Raw control quite a fun knob to play with. It takes you well into grinding tweed territory.

I think if I was more inclined to the BF Fenders I would buy an Allen over just about anything else, no question. I had the upgraded transformer so it could take 6V6's or 6L6's. If BF is what you're looking for you've purchased the right amp!

-Rich

14. Mark C

Mark C Member

I built one of the older kits into a blues jr. cabinet. I've played it with both 6l6 and 6v6 tubes and it sounds really good either way. The raw control is really neat, and the master volume is good, but not the best master I've heard. Mine has a short pan for reverb because of the small cabinet, so it's not as surfy or deep as a real blackface, but still sounds nice and is very useful. Pros for the Fender are: has tremolo and deeper reverb, both footswitchable. Pros for the Allen: Can take either 6l6 or 6v6 tubes, has bias test jacks, has a master volume and has the raw control for dialing in more tweed/marshall grit.

15. Reeek

Reeek Member

Do the Allen amps have an external bias trim pot to compliment the external bias test jacks?

16. Brownie

Brownie Member

17. mkg

mkg Member

On my HF w/Nuts the bias trim pot is located under the chassis between the PT and the OT like on Fender amps, but it's a shaft that's easily adjusted with fingers, no screwdriver required.

18. Reeek

Reeek Member

19. riffmeister

That's cool......I'm not a big reverb & tremolo user, but I do like the idea of the Raw control and the MV.......as I like a little dirt in my tone as a reminder that I'm playing rock n roll. ;)