Allen Amplification thread. A place to share pics, sound clips, opinions and reviews of these amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Skip Reid, Jul 4, 2019.

1. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

The Sweet Spot with 2x10 is not among Allen's standard offering. If that's what you REALLY want, I'd order chassis only, have a custom cabinet made and get 16 Ohm speakers wired parallel. There are lots of cab builders around, I have good experience with Pete Mather and have never read a bad word about his product in this forum. Really good 16 Ohm 10-inch speakers can be had from Dr. Z amps at a very reasonable price - you will need 2 of them wired parallel to get an 8 Ohm load.

The Accomplice with 2x10 is a standard offering, but differs in that the PI is a long-tail pair, where the Sweet Spot has a cathodyne PI (following the PR.

If you have the time, space, a good soldering station, and a good multimeter, then assembling an Allen amp kit is a very satisfying process if you can decide to be meticulous about your work. I assembled my Sweet Spot in late 2008. I made one minor mistake (wiring of the input jacks) and the amp has been great from then on. Speaker is an Emi Li'l Texas. Sounds great to me and the amp weighs just 28 pounds. With exception of a ground that came loose at the PT, the amp has performed perfectly for 11 years.

Meticulous starts with verifying the parts list and measuring to make sure the components are at the expected values.
    [​IMG]

2. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

FYI, Allen is running his usual 15% off kits for September. It's a great deal and how I got my LF kit a couple years ago.

3. Tiger Ted

Tiger Ted Supporting Member

Yeah, that aftermath of Katrina was miserable. I also had a 1965 Gibson ES-335TDC that I've owned since new that got flooded. I sent it to Gibson's restoration department and they flat out refused to try. I then tried another extremely well known luthier who shall remain nameless. He kept it for 10 years, did virtually nothing. I finally had it sent to Rice Custom Guitars in Chicago and they returned it to me in great condition in less than 3 months. That was a long wait, but worth it.

wrxplayer and ChampReverb like this.
  4. monkmiles

I can't be the only one that drools over the rarities that pop up on the "used" page, am I?! Would love that Chihuahua! Also being tempted by the Classic 10 kit.

http://allenamps.com/usedgear.html

5. Tweed335

Tweed335 Member

Well here’s my thought process regarding the Sweet Spot 2 x 10. My favorite amp is my Super Reverb. I’ve owned a DRRI, which I liked but didn’t like the flubby low end when pushed. I love the tone of the PRRI. The cleans, overdriven, and everything in between.

My two conclusions were:

1. I like 10” speakers. I like the way they hold together in the bass freq’s.

2. I just dig the tone of a Princeton.

So, I say all that to ask you this: Even with 2 x 10’s and 6L6’s you think there would be no headroom?

I’m really curious of your opinion because you speak definitively and with, what seems like, experience. All I’m looking for is Princeton tone but bigger. Are your other recommendations more in the tonal range of a Deluxe Reverb, or do they fall in the Princeton camp?

I know the Deluxe seems like a larger Princeton on paper, but I don’t think it sounds like it.

6. Rhyn087

Rhyn087 Member

[​IMG]

Here is my 2x10 Encore with 6L6s. I’ve got two Eminence GA10-SC64s in it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    EarleG, gkoelling, ripple and 2 others like this.
  7. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

I have the Brown Sugar I made with a 15” speaker. Forget edge of breakup turn that Raw control up to 7 with 6v6 tubes! One of the very best of overdrive sounds I’ve ever heard. Better than a 5e3.

It gets pretty loud even on 2 as a 15 really pushes a lot of air. The stock emenance is really good so don’t be afraid of the big speaker.

wrxplayer, easyed and monkmiles like this.
  8. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

I've never had a volume problem with my Sweet Spot. Admittedly, our drummer doesn't play like a gorilla. The amp was more than adequate for the clubs we played with no mics on the amps.

9. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

You have lots of options.

Some questions:
    * Which Super do you have ?
    * If the new amp sounded like the Super (and not the PRRI), would that be okay ?
    * Suppose you have a 2x10 amp. Will you keep the Super and PRRI ?
    * Do you definitely want tremolo ?
    * Do you have any other Fender-style amps ?

Working with what you have:
    * Get an extension cab for the PRRI. Won't add much volume, but it will spread the sound out.
    * Get a second PRRI. Gives the PRRI with more volume and sound.
    * Put the Super in a 2x10 pine cabinet.
    If it's in a pine cabinet now, it will weigh about 10 pounds less.
    If it's in an MDF cabinet now, it will about 15 to 17 pounds less.

PR vs DR:
    * PR: no bright cap, split-load phase inverter (aka cathodyne aka concertina), bias-vary tremolo
    * DR: bright cap on main channel, long-tailed pair phase inverter (aka Schmidt), opto-coupled tremolo
    IMO it's the bright cap that makes the difference.
    A lot of people clip it, or put it on a switch.

With the right speaker, a DR shouldn't flub more than a PR.
    And I wouldn't conclude that all 12's are flubby.
    But I can believe you prefer 10's -- many people do.

Allen amp features and chassis widths:
    Encore 24" (reverb, tremolo, master volume, can fit 2x10)
    Accomplice 22" (reverb, master, can fit 2x10)
    Accomplice Jr 20" (reverb, master)
    Sweet Spot 20" (reverb, tremolo)

Allen has a cab guy, so you can order a custom cab directly from Allen if you want.
    Or you can go with Mather, either way.

The Sweet Spot includes the "Paul C mod", which is still a cathodyne inverter, but it's biased to be more symmetric:
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/paul-c-and-stokes-mod.353375/
    It looks like Allen can get 25 watts out of a cathodyne inverter.
    Above that, I think he changes to a long-tail pair.
    25 watts isn't bad. If you need more, you could bring the Super.

If you're pretty sure you want a new Allen, definitely call him and talk about what you want.
    He'll help you make final decisions.

ChampReverb likes this.
  10. dcbc

dcbc Member

I've had a couple of 70s Fenders modified by David. He is a wizard with amps.

This is my 73 Deluxe Reverb that he got sounding its best. I've been on a tweed kick lately, but this still is my desert island amp. Forgive the hamfisted noodling.

SnidelyWhiplash and monkmiles like this.
  11. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I had a 2002 Old Flame from 2006-2008 and a 2013 model from 2016-2018. These are some of the best amps of this style I’ve played (and I’ve owned a few mid ‘60s blackface Fender amps). The Raw and Mid controls were cool and the Master worked well. I’d like to get the Encore with the bigger transformer.

I also had the Brown Sugar about 8-9 years ago. It sounded amazing but I wasn’t in a band that needed that sound at the time and it was too loud at home without an attenuator. I’d like to give one a whirl again sometime.

monkmiles likes this.
  12. monkmiles

Hit the Allen website today and came across this: http://allenamps.com/brownjug.html

"The Allen Amps Brown Jug amp is my take on the very rare Fender brown Vibrolux™ 1x12 amp (6G11-A), which was the only amp where Leo paired a 12" speaker with (2) 6L6 power tubes. Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits used one on the Sultans of Swing recordings. It is my favorite non-reverb amp. Great for blues, jazz, country or rock. Takes pedals well, too. There is a whole lot of fun inside of that little Brown Jug."

[​IMG]

13. Skip Reid

Skip Reid Supporting Member

Oh man, Old Flame is discontinued.

14. monkmiles

He really ought to have an emailing list or something, don't you think?

15. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

that’s too bad, what a great amp. I wish I still had mine (especially if it’s discontinued).

16. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

My Encore saved my ass last night at a gig. Pedalboard went down for unknown reasons, so I just plugged straight in and worked the master, raw, reverb and tremolo and finished the gig just fine. Drive sounds were excellent, amp responded to pick dynamics beautifully. What a great amp.

thesjkexperienc and monkmiles like this.
  17. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Anybody else wish we could get David to make an 80 watt again? I’d buy one in a minute.

18. ajeffcote

ajeffcote Supporting Member

I started with an Accomplice 1-12 kit. Love that amp but wanted tremolo too so I sold it and built an Encore 2-10 kit. I think that is the best amp I've ever plugged into. Had Copperheads in it, fantastic speakers. Now my back is so worn out I had to have something lighter. Sold the Encore and built a Sweet Spot. Running 5881s in it and I am again satisfied. Great amps all of them. But the Encore is the king.

monkmiles likes this.
  19. jaydub69

jaydub69 Member

I have an Accomplice for about 8 or 9 years now which I bought used. It went up in smoke while playing last week. Still waiting on the verdict. Totally heartbreaking.

On the plus side I just received my Benson Monarch yesterday which I ordered months ago. I already have 7 hours of playing time on it.

For those of you with 15” speakers in their Allen’s, how do they compare with the 12’s? Thinking of getting a new cab sometime soon.

20. monkmiles

I use my LF (which I recently realized stands for Little F#*@er!) at home with a 6v6 in it for ~5w. It's an awesome sounding bedroom amp and powerful enough for small duo or trio jams even (especially if you pop a 6L6 into it). But 5w can still be pretty loud for home use when the kids are asleep for example. So I popped a 12ay7 in place of the 12ax7 and it's perfect! I have a little more control over the volume knob to dial in a level just right.