Allen Amplification

mattymel

Dave is the man. He's done some top notch upkeep on my 60s BFs, but I'm jonesing bad for one of his beauties. Leaning towards a head version of the Brown Sugar.

Gretsch47

Gold Supporting Member
My Allen Amp stack includes an Old Flame (head), A Brown Sugar (head) and a Chihuahua 1x10 combo, a 2x12 cab and a 1x15 cab. Ask me which one I like the best and it's really, really tough. Even though I can play as loud as I want to at the space, I probably use the Chihuahua the most, it's such a great amp! But the Brown Sugar with the oversized 1x15 sounds so incredible and has just the right amount of everything. The Old Flame is my go to clean amp but it has great overdrive too when cranked. The Reverb on the Allen amps is really good as well. I typically keep the RAW set low and the Master set High on my amps for more headroom as the Allen amps love dirt pedals. I could not be happier with David Allen's quality and customer service.

Blues Power

in the market for a booteek amp myself. been looking at Allen, Gries, Vintage Sounds and Milkman

cant really decide what I want yet. looking more for a BF pro reverb I guess. not really sure :(

FFTT

Chihuahua is a surprising rocking little amp and ideal for low volume work, rehearsal and recording.

I like 40 watters for rock clubs, so Old Flame and Encore would be my choice there.

A Head with switchable output impedance would be the most versatile, but a 2X10 combo would be cool too.

Dave Allen has been around a long time. Good Stuff!

joelhgs

The Chihuahua rocks indeed. 6l6 in mine. Sounds glorious, and i mean GLORIOUS, cranked thru a 12" gold. Turn it down and it's twang city on my tele bridge. Perfect little amp. Great for any gig too small for my Gries 35 or SFSR.

geodr

I've owned an Old Flame head, an Encore, and currently a Chihuahua, and they've all been fabulous amps - want to try a Sweet Spot!

mattymel

Can anyone chime in about his Raw control? Is it just a gain control? Sounds different than any I have heard on a Fender style amp...meaning it actually sounds good to me.

riffmeister

Can anyone chime in about his Raw control? Is it just a gain control? Sounds different than any I have heard on a Fender style amp...meaning it actually sounds good to me.
As the Raw control is turned up, it gradually bypasses the tone controls. The tone controls on a BF Fender amp are subtractive, the way they function is by reducing gain in the preamp circuit. When they are completely bypassed, there is a substantial increase in gain. So the Raw control is nice for dialing in a bit more gain and "edge". Cool feature. The only "improvement" would be if the Raw control were foot-switchable, IMO.

Trending Topics