Allen Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kmaz, May 29, 2008.

1. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Was checking out the their website. Some cool looking/sounding amps there. I was especially intrigued by the 'Brown Sugar' model. What do Allen owners have to say?

2. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

3. mprvise

mprvise Member

2X10 35W Encore owner here - love it! Great sounding amps.

4. Kingofdogs1950

Kingofdogs1950 Member

Hot Fudge/w Nuts and 5F1+ (no longer offered) owner here. Used to own an Accomplice. I built the Accomplice in 2002. It is one of his kits with complete instructions. The HF and 5F1+ did not have instructions, only a layout and parts list. All three were straightforward builds.
    I would hightly recommend one of his kits if you have an interest in building things. Saves money too. Allen uses top quality parts throughout and everything fits perfectly.
    Highly recommended.

Mark

HF/w Ns and Muddy Waters tele
    [​IMG]

5F1+ guts
    [​IMG]

Accomplice guts (old style)
    [​IMG]

5. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

I own 2 Old Flames. Love them both. David is a great guy and is great to work with.

6. VanStone

VanStone Member

Accomplice Jr. (6L6) owner here. I've had mine for about 2.5 years now and still absolutely love the thing. :AOK

V

7. phatster

phatster Member

+1 0n Brown Sugar...I'd post a pic IF I knew how!?

8. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Blonde and Wheat Accomplice Head (22w 2x 6V6) and 1x12" cabinet (RW&B). Classic Deluxe Reverb tones (no vibrato but I don't miss that) with master volume, volume boost, midrange boost and raw control for a variety of distorted tones. David delivered on time and was a pleasure to deal with.

[​IMG]

9. mkg

mkg Member

Proud owner of the first HF w/Nuts built by David.
    Great amp, and David's a great guy.

10. DoobieK

DoobieK Member

I've owned a first generation Allen Old Flame for several years. It is back to my main gigging amp now. It came in a 2x10 combo, then I ordered a head cab from Allen and now it is in a 1x12 combo cab that I bought from Allen. Very fast turnaround. David replied to my emails fast and was very patient when I have talked with him on the phone. I recently emailed him asking if the transformers he currently selld would be an upgrade from the originals. He said they would not be an upgrade from the original Allen trannies. The guy could have easily sold me a couple, but he was honest. I appreciate that.

I bought the OF to replace a '71 Twin Reverb. It definitely fits the bill, without the weight, size or power overkill of a Twin.

11. Kurzman

Kurzman Supporting Member

I have a V-18 (Sweet Spot). It's got a 12" R,W&B and 6L6's.
    The Sweet Spot should be in the Amp Hall of Fame.

I've also had a 5F1+ and an Old Flame. Dave Allen is the best.

12. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

David Allen is great to do business with.Had him build me a Hot Fudge 'n Nuts.Delivered on time and worked perfectly out of the box.He also helped me get my old Vibrolux dialed in with the tone I was looking for.(more brown face tone).Bought and installed his custom bolt-in Bassman output tranny in my Vib and Gawd!Does it sing now.:dude

13. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Former Allen owner here. Hate to rain on the parade, oh, well actually not really. I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I went through. I had one of THE worst customer service experiences of my life with this brand. But I'm just a joeschmoe pro player of 30 years. You can get back to your regularly scheduled lovefest.

14. kodecar

kodecar Member

Do you care to elaborate on your experience? I, for one, really want to hear the bad along with the good so when the time comes, I can make a good decision.

15. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

No I don't care to elaborate on it. Check my posts, see where I'm coming from, and make up your own mind. I can tell you that I've owned over 20 Fender blackface and silverface amps all Princeton size or larger, and that my Old Flame DID NOT have the Fendery tone I was looking for. Heck, I'm going to get flamed (old flamed?) for saying this, but this is my opinion... a fairly educated one as I'm a GIT grad, Berklee alumni, grew up in the competitive guitar player environment of Pittsburgh playing with some serious guitarists (my best friend grew up with George Benson). Do the math. I've owned over 50 different quality tube amps, and gigged with all of them. If you want that Fender tone, IN MY MIND, this is my opinion, either get a real PTP tube Fender, an old Musicman or get a Carr Rambler or Imperial. Remember that Allen amps are often sold in kit form, and a big cross section of the owners have put their kits together. I believe the owners have gotten a lot of satisfaction from building they're own amps, and rightly so. I'm sure they're good kits with nice materials....BUT! There is a big difference in selling kits for other people to put together, than selling only completed amps full time. The business model and experience is way different. I can say that guys like Simon Jarrett of Kingsley, Greg Germino of Germino, Dave Ulbrick, and Steve Carr have the best customer service of any amp builders I've dealt with. I've met and hung out with Steve Carr, and talk about class act...he's the real deal. But DA wasn't the sweetest pea in the pod. Jon.