Allen Chihuahua 230V?

rabbuhl

Hey, has anyone converted the Chihuahua to 230V? I don't think it works with a step-down transformer according to the website.

rabbuhl

I'm sure it will work with a step down transformer. What did you read that says it won't?
If you hold your mouse over the "No Exports" it says:
Allen Amplification does not export any of its products (except to Canada) at this time.
We can't provide the 50hz transformers required and are not able to provide the local support so often requested.
Our amps cannot be operated with step-down transformers due to the 50hz which will overheat them.
Thank you and best wishes.

The transformer for the Chihuahua is a TP24 (whatever that means). I called Mr. Allen to ask about getting an EU version (230V). He said it is a small, custom-made transformer made specifically for the Chihuahua. So, I tried to get the name of the manufacturer because I thought maybe I could order on but Mr. Allen was relucant. Anyone know more about the TP24 and if it is possible to get an EU version?

rabbuhl

David Allen took the time to make me an EU version of the Chihuahua. I received the amplifier yesterday. It arrived in good condition and ready to go. It is nicely built and just the right weight and size to carry on my bike. Luckily, I also had a band practice last night so I was able to play the amp for a couple of hours. It sounded great and really had more than enough volume for playing with a drummer. I ended up tilting the amp by putting it in an amp stand at the practice studio. The amp got a bit warm. I e-mailed Mr. Allen and he helped me to quickly figure out that tilting the amp traps hot air up inside the cabinet and that can make the chassis get warm. It my first custom-built amp and so far the experience has been really great!!

Last edited:

rabbuhl

Played the amp again last night. This time it was just on the floor and not tilted. The amp did not get hot and worked perfectly. It really sounded great even at low volume.

rabbuhl

Really enjoying my Chihuahua. On Sunday, I carried my guitar, pedal bag, and Chihuahua on my bike to a jam session. The amp weight is just fine!!

A singer songwriter named Michael Prins, who won the best singer songwriters in the Netherlands, played on it.

The Chihuahua sounds great. Here is a video of Michael Prins playing on the Chihuahua:

FFTT

Really happy to hear you are enjoying your Chihuahua.

Definitely one of the most recommended light weight, lower volume solutions.
Top quality, hand wired, built to last decades.

No457 Snowy

Congrats on the Chihuahua, I faced a similar situation a few years ago due to the 240V/60Hz in Oz, but in my case I wanted to order the Head version in kit form as I enjoy building my amps. Unfortunately after an email exchange Dave couldn't help back then with the power transformer (only 50Hz) and was reluctant to supply the kit to me in case I needed support. I was pretty disappointed as I had my heart set on building the Chihuahua and had built several amp kits from Trinity Amps and The Tube Depot all of which came with Transformers that would support 50/60Hz and without requiring any support services for my builds. I hope this might be a sign that Dave might look at supplying to O/S customers, especially if it was agreed the kit builder would seek tech support locally if required.

Anyway, glad to hear your Chihuahua is a success, as far as the heat goes, I tilt my 5E3 back when playing and they typically get pretty warm, but I found that one of those small personal 4" desk fans behind the amp on low setting can direct a small amount of airflow into the rear of the cab and it actually makes a huge temperature difference, might be worth a try in your case as well.

rabbuhl

Really happy to hear you are enjoying your Chihuahua.

Definitely one of the most recommended light weight, lower volume solutions.
Top quality, hand wired, built to last decades.
I had looked at Fender Pro Jr., Laney Cub 10, Blackstar HT 5RH, Mesa Boogie TA-15, and so on. I read about the Chihuahua on TGP and took a chance on it. It is really exactly what I wanted in an amp. It is a portable tube amp which is light enough to carry on my bike, sounds good, and is loud enough to play at a small venue.

Congrats on the Chihuahua, I faced a similar situation a few years ago due to the 240V/60Hz in Oz, but in my case I wanted to order the Head version in kit form as I enjoy building my amps. Unfortunately after an email exchange Dave couldn't help back then with the power transformer (only 50Hz) and was reluctant to supply the kit to me in case I needed support. I was pretty disappointed as I had my heart set on building the Chihuahua and had built several amp kits from Trinity Amps and The Tube Depot all of which came with Transformers that would support 50/60Hz and without requiring any support services for my builds. I hope this might be a sign that Dave might look at supplying to O/S customers, especially if it was agreed the kit builder would seek tech support locally if required.

Anyway, glad to hear your Chihuahua is a success, as far as the heat goes, I tilt my 5E3 back when playing and they typically get pretty warm, but I found that one of those small personal 4" desk fans behind the amp on low setting can direct a small amount of airflow into the rear of the cab and it actually makes a huge temperature difference, might be worth a try in your case as well.
After asked a few time Mr. Allen was kind enough to make an EU version of the amp. I don't think I will tilt it back but if I do a fan is a good idea :)

Trending Topics