allen collins with dog eared p90 in firebird?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JPW, Mar 23, 2006.

1. JPW

JPW Supporting Member

I was watching one of my Skynyrd bootlegs the other day and realized allen collins had a dog eared p90 in the bridge position of his firebird! Do they make a p90 pickup that is minihumbucker sized. This would be cool so you didn't have to modify the wood at all.

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

A mini humbucker *is* P90 sized. But without the dogears.

So you wouldn't really have to modify the wood. I guess you'd have to do some sort of cosmetic cover-up for the dogears. I'm not sure what the best way to handle that would be.

Just offhand, I'd say that you're best sticking with the kickass P90 sound, and living with the noise they make.

Pete

3. Roe

Roe Member

no a mini is smaller than a p90

4. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

a p-90 soapbar will fit in a mini-humbucker slot in les paul deluxes dunno about a firebird.(i'm pretty sure it will tho)

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Get in touch with Jason Lollar..........if it doesn't exist he WILL MAKE it . ;)

6. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Not necessarily. I asked him about making something with a DeArmond 2K sound in a humbucker or P-90 form factor and he said no.

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

No , its not possible.........or No I just don't have the time? I mean you can't expect him to develop something from scratch that doesn't exist for $300. Thats just not reasonable. Either way I think he can handle a Dog eared P 90.

8. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Roe is more or less right. The mini humbucker itself is smaller than a P90 if built Gibson style, but the pickup ring that they come with is P90 sized.

So I suppose that it depends on how you buy the mini humbucker.

The mini humbucker that I bought from DiMarzio over a decade ago for my one Tele is P90 sized and shaped, and I bought a GFS pickguard for it very recently, that was cut for a P90, and it fit perfect.

I won't clutter up this thread with images, but here's a picture of it:
    http://lasttelecaster.home.comcast.net/GFS/GFSpickguardJapTele.jpg

Can you put a dogear P90 into a mini humbucker Firebird route without modification? Now that, I don't know! I was assuming that JPW had a P90 Firebird that he wanted to put mini humbuckers into, but by now that doesn't sound like what he was asking about. I'm certain it could be done, but I don't know if you'd have to change the wood.

Pete

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

He said no, he wouldn't. He didn't explain why. Nobody mentioned price. I didn't have much expectation either way - some people said "ask Jason he can do it" and when I asked him he said no.

It's not clear to me that winding DeArmond 2K pickups in a slightly different form factor would have to be from scratch either. I don't know what's inside those so I honestly don't know whether this is an easy or difficult project. But I suspect since the 2Ks are a sort of modern machine produced imitation with cosmetics similar to the old type DeArmonds, that they would not be that big a deal to make. Some people think the 2Ks are more or less a weak P-90.

TV Jones makes stuff that is not that far from this with their P-Tron and TVTron mounts though. I'm probably going to try those.