ALLEN Encore: Help me decide

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by khudson, Jan 8, 2008.

1. khudson

khudson Member

I am real close to pulling the trigger on this amp, but would like to get any input about what would would suite my needs:

1) 2x10 or 1x12? Normally I am a 1x12 guy - I like full bottom bass response without farting out & not overly bright or shrill high end. Yes, I have read the overall generic tone qualities of 2x10 vs 1x12 in other posts (punchier, larger speaker area, etc), but still cannot decide. Will the 2x10 fart out easily? Anyone have an Encore with a 1x12? Any input?

2) Speakers? If 2x10 - Rajun Cajun or Legend 105s? I don't think I would opt for the copperheads as they sound too nasily and have too much "honk" for my tastes. If 1x12, Red White & Blue or Swamp Thang? The RWB does seem to have more mid-scoop to my ears. Is that just me?

My aim: I want a nice clean, shimmering Fender tone that can overdrive somewhat when turned up. I play blues & classic rock mostly.

Any input and suggestions is greatly appreciated...Thanks

2. Big Tim

Big Tim Member

I'd love to hear everyone weigh in on this too.

3. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Maybe this isn't exactly on-target, but hopefully helpful to you in some way.

I built a black face kit amp.. a weber 6A40, which is a copy of a BF Super Reverb. It is in a head form, so I can easily experiment with different speaker combinations. I also play mostly blues and classic rock, and I also desire a shimmering Fender tone that gets greasy when you turn it up.

After much experimentation, I've got my favorite tones with the 4x10 cab (loaded with, -- now don't laugh -- $19 warehouse guitar speakers).

I purchased an Eminence-loaded Avatar 2x12 with 1 Swamp and Govi -- very nice full tone. Sounded great in the living room.. But in a live situation, it farted too much.. Even with the bass knob on 1.

I tried 2x10 Ragin Cajun cab.. Very loud -- lots of headroom - very "in your face". But the RC is almost too efficient.. it does not clip or color the tone in any way.. which I guess is desirable for some, but not for me.

My advise is to think about your tone in context of the band and style you play in. Sitting in my living room, the 2x12 sounds better... The 10's sound less-warm... But cutting through a mix with a greasy overdrive sound, the 10's shine!

I've heard the Legend 105's are good for this too, but don't have any direct experience with them.

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    I'd call Mr Allen and ask him!!! I here he's a great guy, and very helpful..He also makes GREAT amps!!

5. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

Encore user here. I have got the 1x12 ver. w/ a celestion gold. Came w/ a red ,white and blue. The emi speaker seemed to dark for my tastes.the gold tightened the bottom end and gave it more top end shimmer,it took alittle time however to break it in.Strongly suggest that you go w/ the bigger OT (40 watts) when you order it. I use it for alt country,takes pedals well and has a really nice tremelo if your into that sort of thing,Good Luck!

6. phatster

phatster Member

My brother recently assembled an Encore kit and has experienced multiple speaker combinations.Because of his "clean" bent he has finally decided on {drum roll please...}2-10 of jbl e110f's....It really chimes!! I'll tell him about this thread and he will personally respond to your issues.:JAM

7. phatster

phatster Member

Let me clear up that speaker, it should be: jbl d110f

8. khudson

khudson Member

good information so far guys.

What does the larger transformer do - give more headroom? More bottom end for less farting out? Both?

Thanks - look forward to more posts!

9. es125luv

es125luv Member

I am more of an amp/cab guy... not crazy about the combo's...

get an Avatar cab and get the head version... it's not that bad carrying that setup from gig to gig.

just my $0.02.

10. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Why does David Allen not build a 2x12 combo?

12. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've long wanted an encore, but I'd like to hear it in a 1x15, maybe with an Emi Legend or Big Ben. Bet that would sound sweet as hell.

13. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

I have an Old Flame with 2-10 Rajun Cajun's. I agree with the previous guy that it is very in your face. As for 2-10's vs 1-12 I think the 10's spread the sound much better. A couple of friends and I had single 12 Boogies back in the day and came up with the term "bat light" to describe the sound. I still find this to be true. I also have not found the low end lacking at all with the 2-10's. I have heard that combining an RC and a Legend 105 works great. I love the RC's. Very touch sensitive and responsive. Just my thoughts.

14. lochry

lochry Member

My Bro Phatster told me about this thread. I like the JBLs with the Encore best; however, my runner up is a 10/12 combo -- currently a 10" Jensen Mod and a Blue.

A while back I asked David Allen whether he would consider offering a 10/12 baffle as a standard option on the encore combo, but he didn't see a lot of demand. Pretty easy to cut one yourself or have someone make one up. Jeff Earl at J-Designs does nice custom baffle work for good price. He will cut a the baffle with built in "beam blockers" (two semi-circle cuts) if you prefer. Not a bad idea for the Encore. If you use Blue in the 10/12 combo, mount the speakers off axis with the Blue in the bottom to avoid problem with magnet cover.

Pull the trigger on the Encore. You won't regret it. :AOK

15. khudson

khudson Member

Thanks guys this really helps! :AOK

16. Phineas

Phineas Member

i've got a 112 encore combo and i prefer the bass low end a lot but i have a couple of dropped std. tunings that i use so it works best for that application as well. my friend has the 210 which also sounds sweet but i haven't done enough scrutinizing yet to tell you the big diffs.

17. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

Yes , both!