1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Allen Hinds- New Album- "Monkeys And Slides"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by parker, May 16, 2011.

1. parker

parker Member

2. Rob G

Rob G Member

Nice clip, thanks for posting.
    I met Allen at the NAMM show a couple of years ago and have a couple of his CDs. Great player and a nice guy. Check out his product demos on the Xotic website.
    http://www.xotic.us/

3. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Yow!
    Nice stuff...I dig 'Rat Scat'.
    :cool:

Gotta get this one!

S.
    j

4. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I love Allen, I used to go see him all the time in LA. Super nice cat. His first couple of records sounded nothing like how he plays live, but this one sounds a bit more aggressive, I'll check it out. Thanks

5. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Got my copy today - smoking! Great playing, wonderful tones, nice compositions - the recording is fat and rich sounding. Nice one, AH!

6. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

Ordered it this weekend. I like the live take of the one from his last CD, I think. Kind of a Little Feat groove. Name escapes me at this moment. Allen's been able to play like a demon since he was in HS. Funny but I never really recall him playing slide much back before he left town for LA. He can go on that thing now. Holy smoke...

7. fusion58

fusion58 Member

Thanks for the heads up - I'm all over it. :aok

8. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

sounds great! Thanks for the heads up.

9. parker

parker Member

Yeah, he seems to really dig the expressiveness of the slide. I think this album seems to be more slide than anything else...

10. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Really like this one. Great playing, and to me, it seems like each CD builds upon the previous one!

11. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul)

Very cool!

Just found this youtube vid, great shot of his pedalboard at the begining.

12. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

^Great little clip of Allen. I remember the bands he came back to Auburn and played in after Berkley, I guess. One was called Snapfinger and they did a bunch of Beck, Billy Colbham, Steely Dan, etc. He just killed it all playing a walnut 335, as best as I recall. Also, had a guy named Rob Alexander on bass who later played with Eric Johnson on that Cliffs of Dover song, I think. Rob was also great. I remember seeing these guys and thinking, "So, this is how good you have to be to play in a bar band." I guess I had no perspective and just knew they were local guys in this little town. I eventually learned even a hack such as myself could get a gig. No clinics though! Allen's always been confident but humble in my dealings with him. He def has his own sound...and it has a lot of Southern flavor. Interesting note that he hasn't broken a string in 30 years because it sounds like he really spanks the strings. I haven't broken one in 30 minutes.

13. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Just got the album, loving it, the slide work is really something I think Allen is my new favorite slide player, though it's still hard to beat Lowell George. What's on that board in the link above? I really think this may be my favorite Hinds cd to date, he really goes for it on this one.

14. zerocharisma

zerocharisma Member

I've taken lessons w/Allen and he really is a monster player. He can do it all. You should hear him play some funk! He showed me a few Paul Jackson-inspired licks that were simple but blew me away. His legato style really sets him apart as well. Gonna have to pick up this cd!

15. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

Yes, I got mine yesterday and have had the chance to listen to it a couple of times now. He seems to be playing bluesier and maybe a little nastier in his old age! The slide seems very Duane Allman influenced to me. I wonder what he tunes to when he plays it? Real fluid and articulate. I like how in a lot of his phrases he slides backward or down into the lick. Not talking about the slide here but just standard picking. On these first few listens I think it is also one of his better ones. He seems to use a lot of effects to me and I wonder which guitar he is playign the slid eon. I know he has an old DC LP Junior as well as a vintage 50s LP on "loan" from some Japanese businessman or something. As I say, I real round, Duane sort of tone and phrasing.

16. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Pretty sure I heard him say that he playes in standard tuning which makes it all the more amazing, he's really got the slide smoothness down!! I wish I could get around the fretboard even half as quickly and efficiently as he does.

17. dtfan4ever

dtfan4ever Member

Just got my copy. It's fantastic!

18. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

That is amazing that he can get those good overtones and not the bad ones in standard. I would have sworn he was playing in E. I was riding in the car playing it with my 15 year old nephew and said, "Don't you think he sounds a little like Lady Gaga?" He didn't.

19. PierreL

PierreL Member

Waiting for my copy to arrive

20. GuitarPlaynTaylor

GuitarPlaynTaylor Supporting Member

just ordered this cd... totally addicted to allen's playing right now!