Allen Hot Fudge?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JackButler, Sep 18, 2006.

1. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Well, once again I am looking for a small combo, still very happy with my Top Hat Club Deluxe 2-12",b ut starte dlooking for something a wee bit smaller, am also considering somehting like a Dr Z mini, but I checked out Allen's site and fell in love with the attributes of the Hot Fudge, man that migh the the perfect little clubbing amp!
    I primarily play Hard Blues, Classic Rock. Love running amps on the verge of breakup and throwing a boost or OD to slam the front end. I have had tons of amps, many boutique. The CLub Dleuxe is awesome, but I think it's time for another flavor, ala Hot Fudge.
    So, what can you tell me? Even abotu Allen amps, if not the Fudge? Tonalities on par with the boutique makers?

2. Brick

Brick Member

I'm going to start by quoting my friend mkg who gigs his regularly and put this very well IMHO....

mkg and I both have the HF with Nuts which is based on the BrF Deluxe and has a different circuit than the HF (no Nuts). I love mine. Love it. I've had it since June 1st and play it everyday.

David is a great guy and will answer any questions you have, whether by phone or email.

I love the throaty raw BrF voice for rock and blues.

ø

3. JackButler

Oops, yep, its the Fudge w/Nuts I want! I just get wondering, I know I love most Dr Z, lately been considering the Maz Jr if I go into a 1-12" combo, but man this Allen looks so sweet. Too bad you never see them used.

4. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Supporting Member

Jack:

I've had a Hot Fudge (no Nuts!) for about a year and a half. I've been through so many amps over the last 10 years, but I have never even considered replacing my Hot Fudge. I have used the Hot Fudge in several configurations: 1x15 combo, 1x12 combo, and 1x10 combo. I have tried it with ten speakers all together. The best so far is an Eminence Ragin' Cajun 10". To my ears the Hot Fudge simply oozes with Chicago-bluesy and, with an OD in front (Barber Silver LTD, in my case), classic rock goodness. It definitely has a darker voice to it than a BF amp. The Cajun works very well to complement that voice. A brighter speaker (e.g., Weber 10F125) can get raspy under overdrive -- and overdrive is what this amp is about. A Brit-voiced speaker (e.g., Big Ben or Ramrod) can be a little much in the mids, since the amp itself is mids-focused.

This is the amp I would play all the time if I were in control of the volume at local jams and of any band. I don't really like playing in situations where the Hot Fudge is not enough. By the way, I stick with 6V6s in mine. 6L6s work okay, but the character of the amp changes.

Hope this helps.

Bob Arbogast

5. Jim L

Jim L Member

Yep... that's an amp I'd love to own...

The fact that you never see them used seems to speak highly... no one who buys one wants to sell it!

6. JackButler

Bob, wow great review! I am near Toledo, where are you at? I'm gonna come try yours out!

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have a 1964 Princeton, how do these compare?

8. Brick

Brick Member

+1

Bob and mkg were the two guys who got me interested in Allen Amps. Both are very helpful and even more knowledgeable.

and now...just because

[​IMG]

ø

9. mkg

mkg Member

Brick, thanks for the gracious words. Man, I love that pic of your rig, right down to the blue jewel light...and that droolsome Tele.
    I've learned a lot from Bob on the various boards and through emails we've exchanged. All I know how to do is buy 'em, Bob can put 'em together!

Jack, I'll vouch for everything these guys are saying. I think the best testimonial came from Brick when he said, "I love mine. Love it. I've had it since June 1st and play it everyday."

GAT, as far as the '64 Princeton comparison, you're talking brownface v. blackface. The browns don't have the scooped mids sound of the later blackface amps. The trems should be pretty close, both being bias-vary.
    I prefer the overdrive of the browns because I think the mids make it beefier and smoother.
    In addition, both Hot Fudge models give you the capability to vary the amount of negative feedback to taste...from totally in to totally out and all points in between.

10. GAT

My '64 is a brownface, very early '64. I love the brown Fenders alot. I also have BFVR and BFPR that are sweet.

11. GAT

Another nice combo is the Tone King Imperial, deluxe reverb with more mids and a very nice lead channel. Very light to carry and they have decent headroom with 20 watts.

12. mkg

mkg Member

Ah, my mistake...then it should be very similar to the regular Hot Fudge.
    Is it one of the rare blackface white knobbers?

13. Phil M

Phil M Member

I'm with you Jack, I want one in the worst way. I've been playing an Old Flame since March and I think the Hot Fudge would fit the bill in smaller places.

14. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

i have a v-18 kit. its the sweetspot which is basically a princeton reverb with added mid control, bias jacks, standby switch, and 12" tone tubby alnico. i use it in combo with my dr z maz 18 w/ 2 10's. both are incredible alone and complement each other perfectly. the nice thing about the allens is that they are extentions of the original fenders with upgrades/features that really make them shine. especially the princeton. what a great amp in its own right, but a little more power, mid control and a 12" spkr and it goes from straining on gig to perfect. all components are top notch and like said before, more reliable and replaceable unlike a vintage mint amp.
    i've never played the hot fudge but a guy did a show with us that had an old flame and it sounded great as well.
    maybe allens don't get the exposure some makers do because they are obvious take offs of vintage fenders. But, the added features make a big difference and could be added to a vintage amp, but cost and depreciation would be big factors.

15. VanStone

VanStone Member

BINGO!

No experience with the HF, but you have a better chance of me letting you pull one of my teeth, sans painkiller, than get me to part with my Allen Accomplice Jr.

V

16. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

I haven't owned one, but I did play one on a local jam night. It was the Hot Fudge with Nuts. The house band had it set up slightly tilted back on an amp stand (but still on the floor), and it sounded great in the club. Held its own no problem. Just perfect. I fell in love with it.

P.S. I can't think of a better topic for my 100th post.... :)

17. JackButler

Ha, congrats RedRanger!
    Allen had a 10 day trial period...Hmm, pretty tempting guys.