Allen Old Flame 4x10 vs. Fender Super Reverb Reissue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RMosack, Jan 16, 2008.

1. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

In considering these amps, just how much do they compare? In particular, the basic building block tone?

I see that the Allen doesn't have a Normal Channel and doesn't have the Tremolo, but it adds other features instead.

Pros and cons?

2. RMosack

Weird. This thread doens't come up in my own searches.

Bump

3. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

I have no info on your topic.. but your thread does exist!

4. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

5. RMosack

Allen's page says the Encore is based on a Vibrolux, not a Super Reverb.

Since both are Blackface and come in at 40 or so watts, are they significantly different?

6. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Allen pros:
    - Better transformers
    - Better internal components
    - Better speakers
    - Better cabinet
    - Better construction
    - More tweakable reverb (especially on the Old Flame)
    - Beautiful trem if you go with the Encore
    - A very nice master volume
    - The "Raw" feature (when used sparingly)
    - Better tone

Fender pros:
    - Less wait
    - Cheaper

But I guess I'm a bit biased :)

7. fjam82

fjam82 Member

interesting...

which of the allen kits have the best cleans?
    I was thinking of one around xmas but couldn't come up with the cash...
    can't seem to find any sound clips of pure cleans from the allens, anybody got some?

8. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I like the super reverb reissue :)

to me, ommitting the normal channel is a ridiculous move by allen. Fender players have been using a/b boxes for years to get independent EQ settings on their amps... makes it very easy for me to go from clean to scream, and allow me to keep a bright and squeaky clean on the reverb channel, and a darker, fatter drive tone on the normal channel.

9. fjam82

fjam82 Member

do any other kits have independant eq's?

10. re-animator

11. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

but was unfortunately too big and heavy for my purposes. Its main advantage over the SRRI is the master volume which allows for great tone at low volume. A Super Reverb cannot do that. I had three blackface models. Two channels can be achieved through the raw control (which can be made footswitchable) and pedals.

12. hasserl

hasserl Member

You're like one of the two people that ever use the Normal channel. ;)

Just kidding of course, but truly, most people do NOT use the Normal channel on Fender amps. The Vibe channel just has so much more, well, vibe to it. More gain, more warmth, Reverb. Set the channel for edge of breakup and use the guitar volume control to go from clean to breakup, then slam the front end with a TS9 for the real dirty stuff. It's a proven recipe that just flat works great.

You might not agree, but really, Allen was right to do it his way, the amps fit more people like that and have much more versatility. IMO of course. ;)

13. soldano16

soldano16 Member

And they made the other guy leave town.............

14. 229someday

229someday Member

I just picked up a used Old Flame head with a home-made 1x12 cab loaded with a ceramic weber 50 watt and I'm absolutely in love with it. Honestly I like the tone better than the '66 blackface Pro Reverb I had before it. I agree on the "raw" (in limited doses), the genuine usefulness of the master volume (run mine at 2/3 up) and the versatility and depth of the three knob reverb. The head itself is lighter than I thought it would be too.

I can't say much about the 4x10 configuration, but as a building block for tone you could most certainly do worse in my opinion.

15. daddyo

daddyo Guest

That's right, you also run your nasty pedals through the normal channel. A DRRI doesn't have a bright cap so they sound better there. Leaves the reverb channel for the nice cleans for rhythm and clean leads.

16. re-animator

exactly.

My normal channel with pedals looks like this:

bright switch off. treble 3.5-4. bass 6-7. Volume is usually set a tad lower so I can slam it with boost.

my vibe channel is usually:

bright switch on. treble 5.5, mid 6, bass 6. I use this setting for finger picked chords, and roll down my guitar volume a bit for clean rhythm with a pick.

17. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

How do you keep the bass from flubbing out with it set that high? Do you just keep the volume low?

18. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Also, the Encore trem is tube-bias trem and far superior to the trem you would get on the reissue.

Personally I never use the normal channel on blackface amps, and I much prefer having all of the other features and the better general build quality.

As far as which Allen has the "best" cleans, I think they're all pretty similar, but it depends a lot on your speaker configuration preference, which really is just a preference. I guess another cool thing about an Allen is that you could always get a head and experiment with different cabs. A light 4x10 cab and a head might be a lot easier to carry than a 4x10 combo, I actually own a 2x10 Encore, which is still pushing it. I could never lug a 4x10 combo around with my bad back... the Allen OR the Fender reissue.

19. re-animator

on the clean channel its mostly touch and volume that does the job... with dirt, my pedals generally take out some low end (fuzzface, big muff, tube screamer... have a BoR too, but I keep the tone high or volume low). I keep the bass just to the point where the sound feels very big and full.

20. fjam82

fjam82 Member

What do you guys think of using the old flame with a home-made 4-10 (2 celestions g10's and 2 eminence lil buddy's)?

If I were to use an open back 2-12, which speakers would you reccomend?