1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Allen Old Flamers: Help with a retube

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by stu2, Feb 2, 2008.

1. stu2

stu2 Member

My Old Flame is a self built head kit that has the original tubes ( Sovtek 5AR4 rectifier, EH pre's, and TAD short bottle 6L6's power) The tubes are 4 years old and have a conservative 400 - 500 loud hours on them. I've been hearing weird noises at loud volumes ( a low womp after the note) so I figured I'd start with a retube. I've tried different speakers and cabs with no change.

What tubes for good loud cleans with a little grit?

2. stu2

stu2 Member

3. PFunk

PFunk Member

Look up Mike at Kcanostubes.com He should have a concoction for that amp.

4. bluenote04

bluenote04 Member

My Encore kit was shipped with TungSols for the 6L6s and 12AX7s, and I've been pleased enough that I have no desire to do any tube swapping. A poster on another forum that just ordered an Encore got EH 12AX7s and Sovtek 6L6s (IIRC), so it may depend on what he has on hand. Perhaps an e-mail to david Allen is in order as to what he recommends.

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

+1 On the Tung Sol 6L6GC STR's. These are great sounding tubes and my favorite of all the new offerings.

6. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

The old flame is a BF Super Reverb topology... I like the way JJ 6L6s sound in my BFSR kit amp..

As for pre-amp tubes, I do like the sound of USA NOS tubes in the key positions (V2 and V4 in BF - not sure which positions in the Allen)

7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I agress with GearheadFred...JJ 6L6's are real big and clean sounding...way more headroom than the small bottle TADS...[I like the TADS because they're not real clean sounding].....The Tung Sol reissue 12AX7's are quite a bit fatter sounding than the EH tubes...but go to Mike Kanos and get a few Blackplate RCA 12AX7's if you want it warmer sounding still

8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I think the blackplate RCA 12ax7's are very bright sounding, good for an amp that compresses when pushed.They sound good in tweed amps. The RCA grey plate 12ax7a's are warmer. I find I like GE short grey plate 12ax7wa's in my blackface amps for a warmer tone.