Allen Old Flamers: Help with a retube

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by stu2, Feb 2, 2008.

1. stu2

stu2 Member

My Old Flame is a self built head kit that has the original tubes ( Sovtek 5AR4 rectifier, EH pre's, and TAD short bottle 6L6's power) The tubes are 4 years old and have a conservative 400 - 500 loud hours on them. I've been hearing weird noises at loud volumes ( a low womp after the note) so I figured I'd start with a retube. I've tried different speakers and cabs with no change.

What tubes for good loud cleans with a little grit?

2. stu2

stu2 Member

3. PFunk

PFunk Member

Look up Mike at Kcanostubes.com He should have a concoction for that amp.

4. bluenote04

bluenote04 Member

My Encore kit was shipped with TungSols for the 6L6s and 12AX7s, and I've been pleased enough that I have no desire to do any tube swapping. A poster on another forum that just ordered an Encore got EH 12AX7s and Sovtek 6L6s (IIRC), so it may depend on what he has on hand. Perhaps an e-mail to david Allen is in order as to what he recommends.

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

+1 On the Tung Sol 6L6GC STR's. These are great sounding tubes and my favorite of all the new offerings.

6. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

The old flame is a BF Super Reverb topology... I like the way JJ 6L6s sound in my BFSR kit amp..

As for pre-amp tubes, I do like the sound of USA NOS tubes in the key positions (V2 and V4 in BF - not sure which positions in the Allen)

7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I agress with GearheadFred...JJ 6L6's are real big and clean sounding...way more headroom than the small bottle TADS...[I like the TADS because they're not real clean sounding].....The Tung Sol reissue 12AX7's are quite a bit fatter sounding than the EH tubes...but go to Mike Kanos and get a few Blackplate RCA 12AX7's if you want it warmer sounding still

8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I think the blackplate RCA 12ax7's are very bright sounding, good for an amp that compresses when pushed.They sound good in tweed amps. The RCA grey plate 12ax7a's are warmer. I find I like GE short grey plate 12ax7wa's in my blackface amps for a warmer tone.