Allergic Reaction to Linseed Oil

U65_RN

Member
Messages
242
I had three guitars repaired. The repairman used linseed oil on all 3 guitars. Very soon after I started to play the guitars the left side of my throat became swollen and there was pain in my left ear. I played the guitars again the next day and the same thing happened.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Thank you.
 

theon

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
1,127
Sorry to hear of your reaction to the linseed oil!
Stay clear of guitars for the time being.

A small amount of turpentine or D-Limonene Food Grade citris solvent should remove the linseed oil.
As @GuitarPickReviews stated ask your luthier for advice on how to proceed.

Head to the nearest Emergency Room or Urgent Care.

Wishing you the best and Take Care!
 
Last edited:

Laurent Brondel

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
4,279
Change repairman, I see no reason why linseed oil should used on a guitar, on the fretboard?

Buy a quart of naphtha at your big box store and wash away the oil with paper towels, let them dry flat overnight on a counter or on a cement floor. Wear nitrile gloves…
Turpentine won't be as effective, it is oily too, and you may object to the very strong and persistent smell.

I have never heard of allergy to linseed oil, this is pretty benign stuff, see your doc, it may be something else.
 

KissTone

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
3,070
Change repairman, I see no reason why linseed oil should used on a guitar, on the fretboard?

Buy a quart of naphtha at your big box store and wash away the oil with paper towels, let them dry flat overnight on a counter or on a cement floor. Wear nitrile gloves…
Turpentine won't be as effective, it is oily too, and you may object to the very strong and persistent smell.

I have never heard of allergy to linseed oil, this is pretty benign stuff, see your doc, it may be something else.
This. Linseed oil is pretty common (and natural) stuff, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be allergic to it—but as a severe allergy sufferer with LOTS of contact allergy experience, I’ll ask: are you getting any skin reactions? Itchy, red skin on your fingers and hands that touch the oil? That would be your best indicator of an allergic reaction.

As far as the removal advice mentioned above, I’d add: do that work outside if you can. You want lots of fresh air while working with that much naphtha as it evaporates quickly and can trip the explosive gas sensors on your water heater, furnace, etc. if they’re so equipped (ask me how I know).

And be sure to soak your dirty paper towels in water and then spread them out to dry before tossing them in the trash to prevent any spontaneous combustion (happened to a guy refinishing furniture down the street from me—burnt down his garage AND his neighbor’s house!).
 

Laurent Brondel

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
4,279
Linseed oil is pretty common (and natural) stuff
Yes for raw linseed oil, but boiled linseed oil contains metallic driers (cobalt).
No need to be too paranoid about the towels, just let them dry before tossing them, naphtha dries quickly.
 

Lullaby

Oh what you do to me! no one knows
Silver Supporting Member
Messages
417
Agree that using linseed oil is bs - it's a junk oil on lifespan without the poinsons they add to boiled linseed. Agree that linseed is same as flaxseed and allergies are on the rise since flaxseed is being used in more foods recently - fiber, FTW.
I'd alternately flood, then blot immediatly a few times with naphtha(outdoors, keep off skin please). I use a vacuum pump(electric) on stuff like this to literally vaccum it but they're not common. Not sure I would try a shop vac. for that - too likely to give out a spark and things could get exciting. Blotting with fresh paper towels is hard to screw up.
Next up - what to put ON it? Not joining in on THAT - the crowd would beat me soundly for the things I've used. :)

hmm I wonder if he changed strings and there is something on them . . I guess a little linseed oil at this point. {sigh} Good luck man.
 
Last edited:




Top Bottom