Allergic to Nickel strings? How did you know?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mc2, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mc2

mc2 Member

I've usually used regular strings for my guitars. With all the buzz about pure nickel with 335s, I went for some gibson pure nickel 10-46. I've almost always played 10 on my strats and teles. The last few days, my fingertips seem to sting a little more than usual and while i haven't isolated the guitar yet (I play a few guitars each day), I'm starting to become a little concerned that I might be having an early reaction to the nickel? Not sure if the fretboard would be doing it either?

Anyway-for you folks with the nickel allergies, how did your symptoms present? What do you do about it?

Thanks-

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Just a sting or an actual ache from the strings? Could be they play stiffer than what you're used to. Most strings made today have various degrees of nickel in either the alloy or used as plating, so I'd doubt you going pure nickel now alone is the source of your problem. Also is it the plain or wound strings that sting your fingers?

3. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

I've dealt with skin junk my whole life. Contact Dermatitis is what you are talking about.
    I use coated strings for this very reason. First onset you might notice some tenderness and maybe itching. Next thing to watch out for would be tiny blisters under the skin.
    Eventually you get peeling and cracking. Not much to do other than avoid the irritant and use steroids for flares. There is talk about diet and stuff out there but I've tried it all since I've had it my whole life and not had much relief other than what the dermatologist prescribes.

4. mc2

mc2 Member

@jazzrat. Thanks for the info. It does seem to sizzle a bit. I'll be careful and might just swap the strings out

@ solitaire-going 10s on fenders to 10s on gibsons should be easier-it is. I have a fairly light touch and have been playing about 20 years. I don't think it's nerve compression.