Allman Bros Band @Beacon reviving old school & how live concerts have changed

1973Marshall

Saw the Allman Bros last night. What an amazing experience. Besides the obvious genius there were some things that really struck me about how sitting there it sounded and felt every but like listening to their 70s albums. It was unreal.

1) Sound systems have really changed. PA's are louder and more effective but everything feels a little bassy and boomy now with the mids sort of lacking. I've been to a ton of shows and it just isn't loud anymore, let alone there is something missing. In all, it's cleaner.

2) Playing guitar at volume. I was wow-ed by the guitar's sonic quality and it occurred to me that it had a lot to do with actually playing at volume. Having seen some artists like Walter Trout or Buddy Guy in mid-size venues where they sounded thin or not as enjoyable, even when standing near the stage. Though their playing was quite strong - it had a lot to do with playing low volume and relying entirely on the sound system to push things up.

3) Vintage instrumentation. This is especially true with things like organ. The band has the luxury of moving a real B3 and Leslie around. It looked massive and sounded even more amazing. Having the luxury of two drums kits, real percussion and huge Hammonds in an age when we have to use emulators and backing tracks was sweet. It was truly a throwback sonically.

4) Audience's that get it. Their show had a beautiful arc. They would play into applause... heck, people knew WHEN to applaud. In an age where people want to cheer but don't know when, where or how - when improv and great musicianship are at a premium among popular acts - this was simply a different crowd. One that was truly appreciative. There was an intermission, a beautiful theater environment. People were friendly to one another, and following the intermission they got back and actually listened.

5) Musicianship, the obvious part. It was a throwback to the 70s because these guys were the real deal. Wow!

What an amazing night!

Heinz57Pep

Totally agree about volume (always and forever my favorite electric guitar effect) and emulators.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
cool. Looks like a lot of Paul Read Smith amps... the duane plexi replica no doubt.

To your first point, there are also a lot of sound men out there that can no longer hear, especially at the high end. Likely not at that show, but I saw the TT's band on their first tour and the tinny nature of the tone had me regrettably out of there before the end of the show.

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
They always sound the best at the Beacon, it's just in them. They played one run at Radio City (another great venue) when they were rehabbing the Beacon, and the shows just didn't have that same tone.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
They plug into real amps.:bitch
They play fairly loudly, onstage.:bitch
Minimal amount of plexi baffling.:(
No IEM's...looks like a rather weird array of floor monitors.:nono

How can they possibly sound good?
They are breaking the modern soundstage rules.:aok

DrSax

Yup. Can't sound good. Soundguys everywhere say so.

Stratoben127

I'll be there Saturday night. Seem them up front and a little further back a bunch of times, as well as Tedeschi Trucks Band, Gregg Allman, and Gov't Mule both indoors and out and the sound is almost always good because they actually are pushing their amps.

The thing is, their stage volume is not actually that ridiculously loud. Even with Gov't Mule Warren isn't blowing eardrums and I saw them last week right against the stage. I've also been backstage (on stage) for TTB and it's a comfortably loud volume. Their sound guys and monitor guys have it real easy. I know there is no EQ'ing on any of their amps at the board.

I take a similar approach, however I'll sometimes baffle my Super Reverb for sound guys that insist on having as little stage volume as possible and pumping everything through their giant PA at small and medium clubs. I'll admit that I occasionally get the "turn down" while sound checking, but by the first intermission after pretending to turn down, I almost ALWAYS get remarks about how easy I am to mix and how well my tone natural sits within the band, and that's with multiple bands ranging from softer jazz blues to loud ABB style jam bands.

kimock

The thing is, their stage volume is not actually that ridiculously loud. Even with Gov't Mule Warren isn't blowing eardrums and I saw them last week right against the stage. I've also been backstage (on stage) for TTB and it's a comfortably loud volume. Their sound guys and monitor guys have it real easy. I know there is no EQ'ing on any of their amps at the board.
Yep. There's a healthy amount of guitar onstage, but the volume is reasonable, responsible. You'd hear a bunch of guitar coming back from the house mix if you were standing onstage, and there'd be no reason to erase that huge, ambient, full sound with excessive stage volume.
Those guys know what they're doing, for sure.

sws1

The PA is most definitely quieter than it used to be at the Beacon. I started seeing them at the Beacon in the early 90s, and most recently this year. Much more "comfortable" and "clear" sounding.

Certainly the PA itself is a hellofalot smaller.

zestystrat

I'll be there Saturday night. Seem them up front and a little further back a bunch of times, as well as Tedeschi Trucks Band, Gregg Allman, and Gov't Mule both indoors and out and the sound is almost always good because they actually are pushing their amps.

I take a similar approach, however I'll sometimes baffle my Super Reverb for sound guys that insist on having as little stage volume as possible and pumping everything through their giant PA at small and medium clubs. I'll admit that I occasionally get the "turn down" while sound checking, but by the first intermission after pretending to turn down, I almost ALWAYS get remarks about how easy I am to mix and how well my tone natural sits within the band, and that's with multiple bands ranging from softer jazz blues to loud ABB style jam bands.
It's been a while since I last saw Mule but this was def not always the case with Mule. Glad to hear that (pun intended).

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
It's been a while since I last saw Mule but this was def not always the case with Mule. Glad to hear that (pun intended).
I remember being on the floor at the Beacon, but towards the back under the balcony. I must have been right in line with Warren's cabinet, it was sooooo loud I had to move my seat!

loudboy

No click track - it must suck.

Also, I think it's safe to assume that Warren can hear himself? <g>

I've seen Mule a bunch of times and if you think that their stage volume is quiet, I'd sure hope you never have to play some of places I've been lately.

Stratoben127

I'll be at the show tonight. Derek and Warren had Hot 'Lanta and Duane's Cherry Burst from the Hall of Fame on stage last night. Hoping they will again tonight.

Was down by the Beacon yesterday and ran into Derek. Such a cool dude.

Trending Topics