Allman Brothers 'At Fillmore East' songlist question....

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Silver Supporting Member
this thread? oh, please don't keep me wondering

Tiny Montgomery

Supporting Member
They were playing one set shows, with other bands, all three nights. They had recently started doing “Stormy Monday” in lieu of “I’m Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town.” I don’t believe they ever played both songs in the same night. “NMCTB” would have also been another 12/8 slow blues. It wasn’t on the setlist much, in general, at that time.

Basically, NMCTB was a come and go blues song.

2HBStrat

They were playing one set shows, with other bands, all three nights. They had recently started doing “Stormy Monday” in lieu of “I’m Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town.” I don’t believe they ever played both songs in the same night. “NMCTB” would have also been another 12/8 slow blues. It wasn’t on the setlist much, in general, at that time....
I guess that's what I'm wondering about! It appears they dropped those two songs...later versions of the band played them, but, do you know of any live recording of the original ABB doing those two songs?

Tiny Montgomery

Supporting Member
I guess that's what I'm wondering about! It appears they dropped those two songs...later versions of the band played them, but, do you know of any live recording of the original ABB doing those two songs?
I’ve heard at least one, but the quality wasn’t great.

“Don’t Want You No More” was a holdover from the Second Coming (Dickey and Berry’s band before the ABB). It was a post-Winwood Spencer Davis Group time they played as an instrumental. When GA came into the fold with “Not My Cross,” the arrangement was tweaked and DWYNM became the intro.

This version is mislabeled. It’s the Second Coming, not the ABB. Reese Wynans on keys.

dhdfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Butch Trucks told me that they put all of their songs on little pieces of paper, threw them in a hat, and then took turns drawing. It was just chance that those tunes didn't get played.

Tiny Montgomery

Supporting Member
Butch Trucks told me that they put all of their songs on little pieces of paper, threw them in a hat, and then took turns drawing. It was just chance that those tunes didn't get played.
The AFE songs definitely were not picked at random. It was typical setlist of the time, and they listened to the tapes after performing each night, to decide which songs were keepers and which ones needed to be done again.

The “1971 Fillmore East Recordings” has the second and third nights (the first night was apparently lost or destroyed), two shows each night. Listen for yourself, or at least look at the track listing.

What are the odds they drew “Statesboro Blues” out of a hat for the opener, four shows in a row, or that for the first three of those, they pulled “Trouble No More,” “Don’t Keep Me Wondering,” and “Done Somebody Wrong,” in that order, to follow it with?

Butch was pulling your leg. There are quite a few shows available from that era, several commercially, many more on bootleg. There’s some variation, of course, but it was nowhere near random.

Last edited:

dhdfoster

Silver Supporting Member
The AFE songs definitely were not picked at random. It was typical setlist of the time, and they listened to the tapes after performing each night, to decide which songs were keepers and which ones needed to be done again.

The “1971 Fillmore East Recordings” has the second and third nights (the first night was apparently lost or destroyed), two shows each night. Listen for yourself, or at least look at the track listing.

What are the odds they drew “Statesboro Blues” out of a hat for the opener, four shows in a row, or that for the first three of those, they pulled “Trouble No More,” “Don’t Keep Me Wondering,” and “Done Somebody Wrong,” in that order, to follow it with?

Butch was pulling your leg. There are quite a few shows available from that era, several commercially, many more on bootleg. There’s some variation, of course, but it was nowhere near random.
I was kidding. :)

2HBStrat

I’ve heard at least one, but the quality wasn’t great.

“Don’t Want You No More” was a holdover from the Second Coming (Dickey and Berry’s band before the ABB). It was a post-Winwood Spencer Davis Group time they played as an instrumental. When GA came into the fold with “Not My Cross,” the arrangement was tweaked and DWYNM became the intro.

This version is mislabeled. It’s the Second Coming, not the ABB. Reese Wynans on keys.

It's interesting to see how far they came in such a short time! Thanks for posting. Do you have the entire album?

Last edited:

sonofspy

Didn't play Dreams?

Sorry you're wrong! I own a VideoCD of them playing Fillmore that WAS NEVER AIRED
Song list:

Don't keep me Wonderin'
Dreams
in Memory of Elizabeth Reed
Whipping Post

It was not aired because Gregs's voice was mixed way too low on Don't Keep Me...

It has not been widely shared because the band asked Dime and others NOT
to share bootlegs of their concerts. Grrr. We've already BOUGHT all the albums
what's the ****ing problem!?

Reactions: SDB

2HBStrat

Didn't play Dreams?

Sorry you're wrong! I own a VideoCD of them playing Fillmore that WAS NEVER AIRED
Song list:

Don't keep me Wonderin'
Dreams
in Memory of Elizabeth Reed
Whipping Post

It was not aired because Gregs's voice was mixed way too low on Don't Keep Me...

It has not been widely shared because the band asked Dime and others NOT
to share bootlegs of their concerts. Grrr. We've already BOUGHT all the albums
what's the ****ing problem!?
You own an unaired VideoCD of the Allman Brothers with Duane?

Trending Topics