Allman Brothers 'At Fillmore East' songlist question....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Jul 11, 2019.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Wow! Many of us Duane fans would like to have a copy...

SDB likes this.
  2. bob-i

bob-i Member

I think it was one show on Friday and 2 on Saturday. I was there on Friday when they were the second act on the bill, Elvin Bishop opened, ABB next, then Johnny Winter And.

I’ve read several accounts of why one show was lost. One was that they had an intermittent feed from Greg’s mic and lost his voice, another was that they had a sax player friend of Duane's sit in and created a train wreck, another that they didn’t like how they played, no one will ever know for sure.

There was a mix of at least 2 of the shows, and some editing. For one, Thom Douchette played a solo in Stormy Monday that was edited out, another was that they took Duane’s solo from one recording and Dickey’s from another, I forget what song.

We can debate this all day and never know all the answers, but there’s no doubt in my mind it was an amazing record and a great show.

sonofspy likes this.
  3. sonofspy

sonofspy Member

This is true and verifiable! I have just ripped the VCD to an MP4....I only have a DSL
    connection...Can I upload it to TGP Media?

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Are you referring to the "At Fillmore East" album?

5. sonofspy

sonofspy Member

Your INBOX IS FULL! Please clear some space!

6. bob-i

bob-i Member

Yes

7. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

They did not play “Dreams” during the 3 day run they recorded for AFE. The video you’re talking about is from September of 1970. The AFE run was March of 1971.

They played Fillmore East pretty frequently. They were sometimes called “Bill Graham’s house band.”

There’s also a February 1970 FE show available, from when they opened for the Dead. The version of “One Way Out” on EAP is from the closing night of the FE in June 1971. That complete show is on both the deluxe edition of EAP and the Complete Fillmore East Recordings.

8. sonofspy

sonofspy Member

I tried uploading it to Youtube which immediately blocked it.

9. sonofspy

sonofspy Member

Didn't say they did...Yes I know, September 23rd 1970 to be precise...;)

I'm uploading to Dropbox now. Anyone interested shoot me a PM...

There also exists a video of truly horrible but of great historical value of the complete
    v1 Allmans playing a big biker party...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  10. Tiny Montgomery

This is the only post that mentioned that they didn’t play “Dreams”:
    So, when you said “Didn’t play ‘Dreams?’ Sorry you’re wrong!,” that’s literally the only post you could have been responding to.

What do you think “at that point” meant? Nobody was claiming they never played “Dreams.” Just that they didn’t play it “at that point.” “That point” being March of ‘71, when they recorded the album this thread is about. Another hint of that would be the “during the run” at the very end of that post.

wgs1230 was not “wrong.”

11. sonofspy

sonofspy Member

Actually it's now ON Youtube as an OFFICIAL video so don't bother :)
    Here's the link:

SDB and 2HBStrat like this.
  12. Tiny Montgomery

This is the FE show where they played “Dreams.” And, “sorry you’re wrong.” It was aired on educational channels as part of Bill Graham’s “Welcome to the Fillmore East” special.

13. sonofspy

sonofspy Member

At THAT POINT in the discussion it was not made clear that the OP was talking about the double album! "Why didn't The Allman Brothers Band play "Don't Want You No More and "It's Not My Cross to Bear" at any of the Fillmore shows that were recorded? Or did they?

Ist answer was "They didn't play dreams either"

Thanks for nit-picking have a nice day.

14. Tiny Montgomery

And here’s some March ‘71 footage of the “Mountain Jam” they put on Eat A Peach.

2HBStrat and sonofspy like this.
  15. sonofspy

sonofspy Member

It was not aired ...
    National Educational Television taped a show on September 23, 1970, for broadcast. It featured The Byrds, Elvin Bishop Group, Albert King, Sha Na Na, Van Morrison and Joe's Lights. The Allman Brothers were also taped for broadcast but due to technical difficulties, the segment with them was not aired. The show, "Welcome To Fillmore East" was aired on WNET channel 13 in NYC and simulcast on WNEW-FM radio on October 10, 1970, at 10:00 pm in the NYC area. A thirty-minute clip from that show of the Allmans can be seen on YouTube.[9]

Thanks for playing.

16. Tiny Montgomery

The title of the thread is “Allman Brothers ‘At Fillmore East’ songlist question...” That should have clued you in that the thread is about At Fillmore East.

And if that didn’t, the reference to the “box set” in the post you erroneously called out should have.

You were the one trying to nitpick. You were just wrong. They played the Fillmore many times.

17. Tiny Montgomery

“Thanks for playing.”

Haha, that’s mighty condescending for somebody who just learned they played the Fillmore more than once.

I bolded the part of your C&P you didn’t bother to read, btw. Thanks for playing.

18. sonofspy

sonofspy Member

Well that's pretty condescending yourself youngster, AND a wildly incorrect assumption on your part. I was a freshman in college at the time., had already been playing guitar for 10 years At That Point, and knew pretty much everything there was to know about the Allmans and Duane in particular Session work Allman Joys Hourglass etc as I had been playing slide guitar for 9 years At That Point.

However you may have the last word if you insist.../rant

19. Tiny Montgomery

That didn’t do you any good when you were trying to read the title and first couple of posts of the thread, did it?

I didn’t “assume” anything. I just read your posts.

So, your words turned around on you were “condescending?” Ya think? Ever occur to you maybe that’s the point I was making?

Your initial “sorry you’re wrong” was not only condescending, it was incorrect. True to form, your “thanks for playing” was also condescending and incorrect, and you were proven wrong by your own C&P.

You can’t make this **** up.

20. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

You are correct. However, to be fair, I DID ask in a later post if there were any versions anywhere of the original ABB playing those songs live...I guess there aren't!