Allman Brothers gear.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Colt, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Colt

Colt Member

Anybody have any cool websits about The Allman Brother's Band gear? Amps specifically. maybe pedals (don't think they used any though??) mainly for the 69-73 years (original allman's!!) from what I understand it was plexi's and blackface super reverbs (which happen to be some of my fav amps!!...I'm actually about to buy a 65-66 blackface super!!!)

thanks guys!

2. ross

ross Silver Supporting Member

3. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Well if you're talking Duane and Dickey, then:

Duane used:

I believe 3 different vintage Les Pauls, at the beginning of the band a goldtop, then a cherry burst, and towards the end a beautiful tobacco sunburst. He used coricidin bottles for slides, and used 50 watt bass model Marshall Plexi's for amps. He also had a strat with a Tele neck for his R&B sessions, a 345 with the Allman Joys, and had a red SG setup for slide work. Early on in the group he'd just use one guitar for standard and slide playing and just re-tune between songs. He also tuned to Open E for slide. No pedals. He liked using a fuzzface with the batteries dead for the R&B sessions with a Silverface Twin Reverb and the afore mentioned strat. For the Layla sessions he used the Goldtop Les Paul with a Tweed Champ. Rumours abound about Blackface amps in the studio, and also different speakers in his 4x12 cabs. Don Butler has some info on speakers and so forth, I believe he did some work for the Bros. back in their hay-day.

Dickey Betts:

In the early days, I believe he used an SG, at least he did on the Fillmore concert. He also loves Goldtop Les Pauls. He used Marshall Super Lead with JBL's in the 4x12 cab. Supposedly he had his amp modded for extra treble.

Hope this helps.

Mostly, I'd practice your slide technique for Duane, and learn that sliding country scale for Dickey. That helped me way more than the equipment did.:AOK

MRscratch likes this.
  4. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

Ross-
    Thanks for that great link. It consolidates a lot of the information in one place.

5. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Interesting, because I always think of Dickey's tone as bassier, or at least darker than Duane's; for example, compare the solos on Fillmore Liz Reed.

/rick

6. waylon

waylon Member

Dickie used the neck and middle positions more than Duane so that may account for the bassier tone you hear.

7. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

I wish I could play slide guitar like that.....I'm only 18, but I've tried for a while to get Duane Allman slide tone, and it just doesnt work.....It really is Duanes hands just as much as his gear, as with any great guitarist.

8. Wayne8

Wayne8 Member

I wonder how the action was set on the LP he used for both standard and slide?

9. Colt

Colt Member

haha....I know it's all about the players hands, guys. Just wondering about what they were using.

10. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

I believe Duane used a 50w Marshall Super Bass head during the tour that gave us the Live at Filmore East album. I believe he also jumpered the channels, which would make sense considering how fat his tone was on that album. Hope that helps!

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

12. MVrider

MVrider Member

You wanna beat on the the strings like J.B Hutto or Hound Dog Taylor? Get a heavy brass or chrome slide or a hunk of cut-off handlebar and some HEAVY strings, raise the action WAAAAY up and wail away.

Play like Duane? That ain't the way to do it.

Unlike most slide players, Duane was known for an extremely LIGHT touch on the slide. At a time when most slide players used heavy glass slides or even more typically, metal slides, Duane's choice of slide was very unusual, a very thin glass bottle from a cold medication - Coricidin - that's no longer available, at least in it's original packaging.

Duane played lead and slide on the same guitar and that couldn't have been done without the very, very light touch that is part of his trademark sound. It's not *impossible* to use a light touch on extremely heavy strings and really high action, but those things are more likely to hinder your development of touch and the subleties that are created through its use.

rongtr likes this.
  13. bob-i

bob-i Member

I was at the Filmore when the Live album was recorded. What I noticed....

Duane had 2 Marshall heads, I believe they were 50 watters and the cabs did not have JBL's. I read later that they had EVM speakers, but unless his JBL's had the silver dust cover removed they were not JBL's.

Dickie had one Marshall head, I believe a 100 watter and his cabs had JBL's.

Dickie played the Les Paul all night where Duane switched off with an SG tuned to open E. I saw an earlier show where Duane retuned for slide parts. At the Filmore he used the SG when he was playing an entire song with slide, when he switched between slide and fretted he played the Les Paul.

Duane did not use heavier strings for slide. I'd guess that they were 9's beased on the way he would bend strings. Dickie used heavier strings than Duane.

14. bob-i

bob-i Member

Nice tune, nice silde sound, but it's not Duane sorry. Duane's sound was raw, this is smooth and refined.

rongtr likes this.
  15. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

Cool guitar work, but I am not hearing Duane Allman.

16. hasserl

hasserl Member

Man, I thought I was an old fart. Duanne died several years before I even saw my first concert (Capt. Beyond, Jo Jo Gunn, & Alice Cooper at the Hollywood bowl). But even when I did start seeing shows, I couldn't tell you about the gear being used back then. And to be able to remember details about how they played?!?! Man, any concert I went to I ended up leaving a bunch of brain cells behind. You must have been a good boy.

17. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I would've loved to know what Captain Beyond were using!

/rick

18. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

LOL! Thats exactly what I thought.............I mean I've seen some GREAT shows over the years............some really up close...........I couldn't tell you what kind of speakers they were using. :rolleyes:

Can you tell us what kind of shoes Duane was wearing? :p

19. Colt

Colt Member

Really, I'm not trying to get thier tone...I just love it. You can find info about thier guitars ALL OVER the place, and the coricidin bottle, etc. etc........I just never hear much about thier amps/other gear. I listen to albums alot (live and fillmore east!!! hell yes!!! and other albums....and I just sit and think, "damn, I wonder what they're plugging into?" and no, that's not the first thing I think...I love the emotion and skill that goes into the playing...but as a gear head...you eventually start to wonder.

20. king-albert

king-albert Supporting Member

I own a '67 BF Bandmaster head that supposedly Dickey used on tour in the 70's.