Allmans Stormy Monday- Who did the first solo?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Ritualee, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Ritualee

Ritualee Supporting Member

Forgive my ignorance, please. Is that Duane doing the first solo on Stormy Monday? Has to be, right?

Thanks in advance.

2. johnwtuggle

johnwtuggle Member

You're right. Awesome solo!

3. LVC

LVC Senior Member

solo 1 - Duane Allman
    solo 2 - Dickey Betts

4. Ritualee

Ritualee Supporting Member

5. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I like the tone of the second one better... Those guys played great together for sure..

6. lhallam

lhallam Member

Both are great solos. Duane's is very interesting in his innovative use of major pentatonics.

Dickey's just flat out kills. Perfectly built up to climax on 5 quick notes and then eased off. One of my favorite solos of all time.

It's the drumming that truly controls the dynamics on this one. Excellent ensemble work.

7. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

One of the greatest live recordings ever...thanks Tom Dowd!! And remember it's pieced from 2 different shows.

8. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Indeed!

Do you mean that "Stormy Monday" was pieced together...? I hadn't heard that.

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I thought it was edited for length (losing the guest harmonica solo) over spliced from different nights...
    Certainly there are splices from different shows on "The Filmore Concerts" (noted in the liner notes), though less so on "Live at the Filmore East".
    I could be wrong...
    I love both solos, though lean towards Dickey. I do find Duane sharp a fair bit (likely just the Doppler effect as he was loud - so not meant as a criticism).

10. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Looking at the liner notes from The Fillmore Concerts the only change to Stormy Monday was that they left out the harmonica solo on the original release. On this CD In Memory of Elizabeth Reed is spliced together from 2 different nights. The splice is right before Duane's solo.
    BTW, as great as Duane's solo is on Stormy Monday, Dickey's is one of the perfect solos on record, IMO.

11. louderock

louderock Member

On the Fillmore record, Duane is panned more to the left and Dickey is to the right.

12. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Anybody else really dig Duane's non-slide stuff on the Fillmore Concerts? He blows me away on Hot'lanta.

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

They are both great... what kills me about Betts' solo, that SO easy going intro...the tone is just clean...wonderful, does that then down to the B on the 5th string...just "got all the time in the world...now I'm gonna tell you a story" feel, then a little blue note, hit the first string G, then second string bend from G that just stretches out time...just so delicate and yearning...and THEN...suddenly it's BB King on steroids, with the HAMMER ON...

I like to play touch, and if I ever have to explain to someone what it is I either play that or refer them to that solo beginning.

AND he builds so amazingly up from there...til the energy is (again I get reminded of several BB songs, one right off of "Live at the Regal", but I'm not saying it was lifted, just it had the same feel and dynamic) just about to burst...

I get amazed when folks say "I'm just not crazy about the Allman brothers version of it" because to me those two solos are like THE golden example of what slow blues solos are about. It's like a tutorial in slow blues.

I'm not as impressed with the organ solo in between, but I really admire their vision of the song, jazzing it up in the middle there I think adds to the back to blues feel of the second solo...it also makes the song even if it isn't my favorite part of it.

One other thing, talk about tutorial, the way the two guitars comp together is a whole lesson in what two guitars OUGHT to do instead of fighting each other, or just duplicating each other. They play so well together there....split up chords even to where one plays half, the other plays the other half of a "half chord"...let it breathe, no fighting for the pause or in-between phrases riffs...just elegant.

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

No argument from me!

15. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

Duane's solo on that is one of my all time favorites...
    to me, it is such touch and taste and tone...

16. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Duane's on the 50 watter, Dickey on the 100 ;P

17. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

Yep you're right..the splice is on Elizabeth Reed..my mistake.
    Going back to Tom Dowd..his production on this is the closest thing to flawless I've ever heard.
    I have a 5.1 DVD audio mix of it and it's like you're on stage with them.

18. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I've got that DVD audio, and there's an interesting splice in You Don't Love Me....the body of the song is different from other releases, and then the long guitar solo section seems to be the same as the other releases. Have you noticed that too?

John

19. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

I just put it on...you're right, diff again & damn fine too.!!

20. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

+1 Truer words were never spoken...