Allow me to paint a target on my forehead...

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by decay-o-caster, Feb 10, 2008.

1. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Okay - I'll put some of my babies - ugly and/or otherwise - out there for you guys to take your shots at.

These are demos for the hypothetical upcoming band - not finished productions. But they're all original songs that I have either performed with my old band or hope to perform with my next band when the time comes. They're also how I've learned my way around my recording equipment and how I've tried to learn to not panic when the red "record" light comes on. So while they mostly don't sound anything like I want them to, they are a pretty good representation of what arrangements will be when it's time for the band to learn the toons.

Eventually all of these will be rerecorded to be productions, not just demos. But for now they're just songs.

Incidentally - my apologies for the chee-zee drum parts. That's the missing link in my recording setup, so if the Adrenalinn doesn't have a pattern I can use, the song doesn't get recorded. I will eventually overdub better fake drums or else have a real drummer play the parts for me. Pretty much everything else is a Chapin guitar (one of several) into a good tube amp (Fargen, TopHat, or Swart) into an AxeTrak. Bass parts are a Danelectro bass direct into the board. Keys are midi.

The songs -

Chopped Liver
    Which of us hasn't been there? Yer basic 12 bar. Makes me laugh when I try to teach bands to play it and we get to their parts in the chorus.

Welcome to Stunted Hope
    I recently changed jobs - I was a gun-slinger-style consultant for a software company. This song seems to be about what my assignments were beginning to feel like towards the end - sort of a surrealist western as directed by Robert Altman. I like how the guitar tones on this one fit the song. Apologies for the length - when my old band used to play this, the other guitar player made me cut out 3 verses.

Electric Telephone Woman
    Back in my old job there was a project in Syracuse NY I had to visit numerous times - pure hell. Down the hallway leading to the project room were 3 doors with signs on them: Electric, Telephone, and Women. The song wrote itself. No idea what it's about.

I'm Tired
    Sort of generalized angst, I guess. Once I had the first line, the rest of the lyrics kind of took care of themselves. I'm sure they're deeply meaningful. I wish Joseph (Lucidology) were the player on this one.

Whisky Blues
    I hope it's not a cry for help. The verse riff is crap, but it's what came out when I started playing. I will probably try again on this song.

Once Again I've Got the Blues
    My shot at writing a Mark Knopfler tune. He's not losing sleep worrying about me.

Mr. Inquisition Man
    I keep a bunch of stickies on my desktop with lyrical lines / words / concepts I want to use. This song absorbed about 85% of the backlog. My belief is that this has to be the only rock song ever recorded with the word "trepanned" in it, but I'm sure one of you will point out others.

Lock Up Your Daughters
    Impossible to sing and get the phrasing right, at least for me anyway. But it makes me laugh. I stole the "wanted in 17 states" line from a guitar player in Florida named Craig Bowers. Proof positive that I can't play rockabilly.

I Make Fonkay
    This may be the goofiest song ever recorded. But I love the riff. I wrote the lyrics on my last flight home in my old consulting job and was cracking myself up on the plane. So it gets the nod for you guys to listen to and abuse unmercifully.

Unravelling
    This is the completed song from a song sketch I posted in a thread about the wonders of technology as an aid to song writing. My GF asked if I had any lyrics for it, I said "yeah, but they're not very cheerful." She said "no duh - look who composed them." Guess I need to lighten up a bit. The song's a little high for me (that'll be obvious) but that's what happens when you find a bass part you like in D but your voice works best between G and C.

I'm working on others, but these are the ones I've finished that don't actively offend me. Hope you get some enjoyment out of some of them.

2. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Some fun songs! Several of them have the same sort of feel but that may be due to the drum machine as much as anything. I like the vocal stylings.

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Thank you! And thanks for blaming the same-ness of the songs to the drum machine instead of, say, lack of imagination on the part of the composer. :)

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

hey you is getting funky on some of these tunes...
    Thanks for thinking of me.. but you're doing just fine..
    (in fact, you get much better tones then I could even hopeful ..:)

Luv your sense of humor combined with insightful lyric writing ...
    You've got a good thing/vibe going on here David..

In fact, I would say the Robert Altman influence is an overall factor ...

5. KCWM

KCWM Member

I love the gruffer vocal stying. I have a friend that used to sing in a similar manner, but without the gruffness.

The vocals are pretty upfront in the mix, which is the opposite of what I do...I try to blend in to the background.

I've only listened to 3 songs so far, but it's a cool listen...definitely different than what I normally listen to, but not in annoying, turn the dial kind of way, ya know?

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Joseph - I would love a groove transplant from you. "But if ze monster got some of your wonderful groove, what did you get from him???" ;)

KCWM - the other guitarist in my old band told me to sing Stunted Hope like Tom Waits doing rap when it wasn't working with me singing "straight", so since then that's pretty much how I've sung everything. Beats the hell out of trying to, say, hit the right pitch. Like I'm not quite doing on "Unravelling"... :(

7. KCWM

KCWM Member

I think it works. So many singers are trying to do the same thing and to hear something fresh, at least to my ears, is a good change of pace.

I need to listen to more, but I had a busy night. And, now I'm playing Halo 3 online. Before that, I recorded a new, somewhat improvised song.

8. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    I've only had time to listen to the first four

Really enjoyable listening, except I couldn't listen to the telephone woman song all the way through like the others

really cool word paintings, and the music fits very well with them

Your solo on I'm tired is cool, but I would try to play where the chords hit those rests on the back part of the rhythm hook. You seem to be going with it a little to much

I would audition for your hypothetical band. Sounds like it would be a fun gig

9. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Okay yZe, you're in, but you gotta bring the beer to practice! :BEER

Interesting about playing over those rests - I hadn't thought of that, now I need to try playing differently to see what that sounds like.

Thanks very much for the comments. Also, I just sort of realized that posting 10 songs kinda made this into a homework assignment. Please don't anyone feel obligated to slog through these! Halo can be lots more important to leading a balanced life!

10. KCWM

KCWM Member

LOL. Slogging makes it sound so rough and it's not rough. It was just late and I wasn't attentive enough to listen to music.

I like the pitch shifted parts on I'm Tired. I've always been sucked in harmonizing guitar parts...and yet, I never like metal.

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

Just dipped into them so far, David - but I like them! You singing?
    If so, brave man and they come off very well.
    Believe me when I used to listen to demo tapes at EMI at least 98% were much, much worse than yours! Bit backhanded but you know what I mean.

I"ll listen to them properly later.
    Best, Pete.

12. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))

coffee-snarkler :dude

hey did you do any of these yestiddy @ Lisa's?

:cool:

13. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

We did the Fonkay Walk song - young Neal did admirably on the bass part!
    Then they kicked the crap outta me for implanting/embedding that stupid riff in their heads - once it's in, it's hard to get out short of dynamite. :p

Pete - thanks! Yup, it's me making vocal sounds. I'm not sure I'd use "singing" as the verb there.

KWCM - much of what I've learned about harmonizing lines comes from young Hawkeye here, so blame him.

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

David,
    I put my EMI hat on, so it's tough! Didn't get thru them all yet - here's a tip never send (or post) more than three songs.

Chopped Liver: A little too generic but I like the restrained tones.

W.T.S.H: Like song and arrangement (but way too long), the lyric bears listening to only once, this needs new lyrics pronto. I don't like a lot of Brad Paisley's punning lyrics either, if its any consolation......

Electric Woman Telephone: I like this song but the drumming is shite! Needs more honing.

I'm Tired: Same as above.

That's as far as I got!

David it's obvious you like MK - listen to "Shangri La" again, actually study the lyrics. He gets inspiration from the News or Books he's read or simply looking out of the Studio window. You need to work more on lyrics, you're a good arranger, however and, of course, the tones are good.

Trust this helps and don't get discouraged.

Best, Pete.

15. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Pete - I'm genuinely grateful for the analysis.

Incidentally, you can take the drums sounding like Pschitt as read - I don't like any of them. But the rest of the criticisms will be born in mind and reflected on.

16. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Can't go there anymore

I like my Emergen-C powders, followed by a couple goodies headache powders with a water chaser, and then capped off with my hot green tea and honey - Then I'm ready to play!

Try starting off the solo initially on the first rest, and see where that takes you

Try to structure it where all the activity is on the rest, and then "milk the crowd with the mojo licks" where the harmonic rhtyhm starts kickin' again

Whiskey Blues, has a bt of a ZZ Top tinge. Pretty fun romp

Did I hear some slap bass in there ? (i only have Laptop spkrs, so it's hard to tell

If not, i'd go for some slappiness

I would definitely up the game on the drum programs (Although you are WAY FARTHER along than me - as I haven't "gone there yet")

17. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Not an ounce of slap anywhere - I'm a pretty timid bass player. But maybe I'll take a stiff drink (of green tea and honey, of course! ;) ) and see what happens. And I like the solo idea - I'll give that a shot mos' def.