Allparts Bodies? What can you tell me?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluegrif, Jul 7, 2019.

1. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Allparts notoriously gives little information on their site. They do say the solid colored bodies are alder. Other than that, nada. I've heard they're made in Japan, which would be good news as far as I'm concerned, but it'd be nice to know how accurate they are.

2. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

I bought an All Parts Paisley Tele and it’s awesome!
    Fit and finish was top notch, they got the color shade more correct than Fender, it’s a great guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gevalt, woof*, rauchman and 5 others like this.
  3. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I really like their necks & bodies. Of course, some are better than others. But,
    i have some partscasters that have AP parts & i love 'em to pieces! :cool:

4. mrfett

mrfett Supporting Member

Have had great luck with their bodies:

5. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Thanks to all who've piped up here.

If they are indeed made in Japan as I've heard, then chances are the contours are accurate. I've had a number of Strats over the years, including my first, a 1970 model I bought new. The only one I've kept all these years is a MIJ 57 Reissue from 1987 (also bought new). One of the best sounding Strats I've owned and it honestly feels a lot more like an old one than most modern Fenders.

My main concerns are correct contours and good wood. I'm looking at solid colors so I really don't care if it's up to a 3 piece body, so long as the quality is there. This looks promising.

6. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

I have a Jazz bass neck from them, yes MIJ. Pretty good quality and a reasonable price. I got unfinished but I believe anything they do finished will be thick poly and not nitro. Also just FYI that Allparts is the USA dealer for Gotoh.

bluegrif likes this.
  7. fescue

fescue Member

My partcaster Tele has an All Parts body and it is anvil solid. The finish is great and done well.

bluegrif likes this.
  8. JimSoprano

JimSoprano Member

So it's more a partscaster with a 2010 Fender Standard Telecaster neck than a 2010 Fender Standard Telecaster...

9. mrfett

mrfett Supporting Member

Yeah basically. I still have the original body (sunburst with a veneer); I had the powerbridge and pickups in that before swapping out the body. I have all the original parts actually... but the neck is now one of the only original pieces on it.

10. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

Huh, I had bad luck with excessively wide neck pockets with Allparts.

11. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

First I've heard of this. How many examples?

12. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

It was just two for me and it’s not a huge gap, but bigger than I’ve experienced on other bodies. Could just be one offs / tolerances. All parts is definitely good quality, don’t get me wrong.

13. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Thanks. Obviously I was just wondering if it was a typical issue or just an odd one, since I haven't been hearing that from others.

I know what you mean though. All the Warmoth bodies I've owned had neck pockets so tight you could pick the guitar up by the neck without it being bolted in and it wouldn't budge! I used to be way more anal about it but my luthier assured me a tiny gap is no problem at all. So long as the gap is no bigger than, say, .010 inch (about the thickness of a business card), it's well within tolerance. Interestingly, there are tons of vintage Strats and Teles with gaps I'd find unacceptable on a new guitar. Since the advent of CNC, the gaps are normally based on allowance for finish thickness, hence the variance. All that said, my preference is for tight enough to be nonexistent, but not so tight as to cause the typical finish cracking around the pocket. Once again, my MIJ 57 RI is absolutely perfect.