Allparts neck a good alternative for a 70"s strat project?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Frankenstratov, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Frankenstratov

Frankenstratov Member

All right, here we go... I'm starting a 70's type strat project and I'm looking for a CBS era big head neck. I've been fishing around on ebay for a while and just not having any luck. My favorite strat (and only working one...) is a 1985 Squier strat that just happens to have the CBS headstock. The shape of the neck, a thin "c", is the best neck I've ever played. Trouble is, all the ones I've seen are "u" shaped and I hate that... it seems the American 70"s necks have the c shape, but I can't afford them, and the Mexican ones I've tried, although affordable, are narrower & have the u shape. So I've been trying to get ahold of a japanese one, but the bidding always gets out of hand... I've looked at the Warmoth necks, but they are also not cheap. So now I'm wondering about Allparts necks. Are they any good? I see that they are made in Japan, so I'm figuring that they might just be the ticket. They have a CBS neck with the 7.25 radius that even has the bullet truss rod, but I'm not sure how the back of the neck is shaped. Has anyone ever used one of those? Do they come pretty much ready to paint, or do you have to tweak them? Really want to get this one right, so I would appreciate any advice you guys & gals might have. Thanks!
    (OH yeah, gotta be 7.25 radius! & rosewood board w/ skunk stripe!)

2. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I don't know if the specs are right for you but the quality of the All Parts necks are very high. They are made by one of the better Japanese factories.

3. dazco

dazco Member

AFAIK allparts ARE japanese fenders. That is, they ae the same parts made in th same factory that are used to assemble the japanese fenders. That was true at one time and i believe it still is. But call allparts and ask some questions and see hat they say about the shape and whether they are indeed the same necks that go on the jap 70's RI's. I bet they are. By the way, allparts are great quality. I have a allparts 3Tsunburst strat body thats 2 piece and just gorgeous. Looks like top of the line anything.

4. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

The Allparts neck is great. Also consider Musikraft. They do the bullet truss nut.

5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Allparts necks will need more attention to fret detail than will a Warmoth. And a Warmoth may need (a smaller) amount of that same detail to match a USACG.

Yep, these Allparts necks are quality Japanese source. The Allparts bodies are from the USA, however. And the neck pocket match is way behind the quality of USACG. I won't go into the Warmoth bodies since they look wrong anyway. The Allparts "S" body is a nice shape that you can custom contour you can leave as a 70s or sand down for a 50s or 60s shape.