Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Musikraft

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Warmoth

Votes: 24 63.2%

• Total voters

greenlemon

Hi everyone :)

I was wondering which neck I should go for.

The neck style I want is: Fender vintage style (truss rod at heel, 9.5'' or 7.25'' radius, medium jumbo frets but vintage frets should be alright, rosewood, flame maple neck).

-Allparts neck: cheapest among all (around $175 including shipping to New Zealand)- found one that has nice light flame rosewood neck but needs to drill mounting holes (can be a challenge) and probably fret job.

-Warmoth: around $300 (including shipping to NZ)- heard it has good necks. Only downside is that the neck style I want has limited in their stock (vintage style, C shape, truss rod adjustment at heel, etc). Maybe able to get necks with bonus flames which I like. But, heard that their headstock is not as accurate to Fender.

-Musikraft: around $320 (including shipping to NZ)- heard its one of the best and can customise to the specs I want. One downside is that I probably have to wait 3-4 months for it to be made and arrive at NZ. If I want a flame neck, would be another around $100.

For now, I am heading towards Allparts cause of its price.
My only concern is the quality of the material (i.e. wood) --> are Musikraft/ Warmoth neck have 'better' wood than Allparts?

Thank you!

ablue

Hi everyone :)

I was wondering which neck I should go for.

The neck style I want is: Fender vintage style (truss rod at heel, 9.5'' or 7.25'' radius, medium jumbo frets but vintage frets should be alright, rosewood, flame maple neck).

-Allparts neck: cheapest among all (around $175 including shipping to New Zealand)- found one that has nice light flame rosewood neck but needs to drill mounting holes (can be a challenge) and probably fret job.

-Warmoth: around $300 (including shipping to NZ)- heard it has good necks. Only downside is that the neck style I want has limited in their stock (vintage style, C shape, truss rod adjustment at heel, etc). Maybe able to get necks with bonus flames which I like. But, heard that their headstock is not as accurate to Fender.

-Musikraft: around $320 (including shipping to NZ)- heard its one of the best and can customise to the specs I want. One downside is that I probably have to wait 3-4 months for it to be made and arrive at NZ. If I want a flame neck, would be another around $100.

For now, I am heading towards Allparts cause of its price.
My only concern is the quality of the material (i.e. wood) --> are Musikraft/ Warmoth neck have 'better' wood than Allparts?

Thank you!
I have Warmouth tele and Strat necks and 2 Musickraft one roasted and 1 heavy flamed with BW for Strats. They are both good but I would be leaning to MK next time. Got my MK on the emporium used about 5 years ago with fender locking tuners and nut 1 piece roasted maple. It’s a V shape esp up to 5 th fret C.B. Its pretty thin up by the nut and sat in the box for years. Recently had it put on a 95 Oly white standard Strat and it’s great. The frets look untouched and are smallish but I can get great action without any leveling. The lack of finish feels really good esp on the fingerboard. The 2 piece Birdseye maple Warmouth neck with SS frets had a factory finish and sounded more bassy compared to the roasted and less alive.

Scottunes

Is flame maple really unstable? The allparts neck that I am interested has some light flame across the neck
In my opinion/experience, no. I've never heard of this either.

I recommend either Allparts or Warmoth, also from my personal opinion/experience.

The Allparts necks I've used (for partscasters) are/were made in Japan. I have several that have stood up well under heavy playing over the years. Nothing to be afraid of, as fa as I know.

Warmoth necks "feel" better to me, than Allparts. But, I believe this is because I can choose the preferred neck profile and finish.

The one thing I like better about Allparts is the more vintage-y finish appearance.

ablue

Is flame maple really unstable? The allparts neck that I am interested has some light flame across the neck
In theory figured wood can be unstable but it hasn’t been in my experience with reputable companies . Very unlikely with these 3 being mentioned .

low_fidelity210

Silver Supporting Member
Having Owned all three, and others....MusicKraft or All parts would be my pick. Depending on specific specs you want.
MK and AP both do a great job of capturing the feel of an actual fender neck, and are both very good quality. MK is definitely a step above AP in quality. But depending on specs, it may not be a big enough difference to justify the price difference IMO.

I am not a fan of Warmoth necks at all, the quality is good. But there's just something off about them (to me) that makes them less comfortable (to me). But that's personal preference.

If you're looking for 7 1/4" radius, vintage frets, heel adjust truss rod, and a basic classic medium C profile, I'd go with Allparts.
If you're looking for Big Frets, a Bigger or Much smaller profile, rolled edges, or need figured wood, or some other custom options, go with Musickraft.

MK with require less work out of the box. AP will need more attention. Both will probably need a fret dress/level (but not always), some holes drilled, the nut slotted, etc...

mdog114

I like Warmoth necks, I’ve used them on multiple builds.

Other than my Gibsons, my main players are all partscasters.

hank57

Silver Supporting Member
I’m not picky about my necks. I can play most C shaped necks but I have not every had a boat neck.

If your are easy to satisfy an All Parts neck would do great. I’ve had them they are great.

I often choose Musikraft, Guitar Mill, Best Guitar Parts, and USACG

Brian.gerhard

Silver Supporting Member
ive built tons of partscasters over the years.... because i wanted to hemmorage money i guess. Musikraft is a noticeable step above Allparts in the craftsmanship and fret work dept but the allparts neck plus a skilled luthiers touch to set the whole thing up and carve the nut and buy nice tuners will go a hell of a long way for about the cost of the musikraft neck which you'd still need a nut, tuners, possible fret level anyway...I'd go for the allparts soft v or fat shape to get the bigger frets..the vintage style frets plus the old school radius are cool until they get worn a bit and the neck shifts over a year or a half

wox

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned and worked on Allparts necks that were fantastic. With a good finish, fret cleanup, and set up, you'll be golden.

Warmoth products, the same. Lots of options, totally great quality, and with a good finish and setup, it'll be a great player for life.

That said, I believe Musikraft necks are a set above the others in terms of vintage styling, back profiles offered, and in my experience, they will really go deep with you on special woods and other custom stuff.

This mostly matters if you're super concerned with vintage spec (though some true guitar history wonks still take pleasure in pointing out what is "wrong" with MK and most other vintage-spec items), or have other fine attention to detail custom preferences.

Since you are not even sure on the radius or fret size, I'd say any of these will suit you, and you might as well get the Allparts and use some of the money you saved to get a good fret leveling and setup.

greenlemon

Thank you for everyones comment. I have decided to go with Allparts as it is half the price I want from Musikraft. Maybe I will go with Musikrft in the future when I have more experience in making my own.

I have another question. The Allparts neck has nice flame but I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove these wood grain/ streaks. Would sanding it down a bit, help? Would it be less visible when I put a clear coat?

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 1.41.55 PM.png Thank you!