Allright guys, tell me if this is a real '62 ES5 Switchmaster.....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by michael.e, Sep 24, 2008.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Estate sale guy....

Thanks, Emee

2. HHB

HHB Member

3. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

Hmmm, a '62 ES-5 would not have p-90's unless it was custom ordered that way. Also, I'm not a 60's Gibson expert, but shouldn't a 6 digit serial # be late 60's (but I don't think ES-5's were made in the late 60's)?

4. michael.e

See, that is what is coloring this whole thing funny..

I spoke to the guy and he told me that some Gibby expert called him and told him this was a custom order..

Idda know..

emee

5. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

If it's possible to reach them call Gibson.

6. jtm622

jtm622 Member

Look at it this way: It's like restoring a 1932 Ford Cope - it may cost some guy $100,000 to do the job right, but it will never bring close to that amount of money at auction... in other words, that guitar will never recoup enough money in resale to justify anybody putting out the effort and expense to "counterfeit" the thing (up to believability) in the first place...
    Gibson was a totally different company in those days - IMO, it is entirely likely that it is a special order one-off custom job...
    Man, that is one really fine looking guitar.

7. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Knobs and bridge saddles are right for circa mid 60s. What is the scale length? The end of the neck resembles a Byrdland.

8. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

Yeah, I hear Gibson was much more flexible "back in the day." I sold a bass over Craigslist to an older gentleman who I chatted with for about an hour at a local restaurant and he told me about his old custom-ordered Gibson, a hollowbody fitted from the factory with controls built into the side of the body instead of the top.

9. jzilla

jzilla Member

two (not three) screws on the truss rod cover right?

10. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

Holy Christ !!! Now that is some unique stuff !

11. gitman

gitman Member

looks koscher to me - it's got a short scale like a Byrdland, right ? there were a few special order jazzboxes shipped out in the 60's with short-scale necks, some with extra varitone circuits etc. so it's not really far-fetched.

12. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Bingo! My first thought was that hasta be a short scale gtr (it does have 22 frets, like the B'land and 350T) 'cause those p-90s are jammed in there cheek to jowel. My p-90'ed ES-5 has a good halfa inch between the p.u.s. Plus the bridge (which appears to be tacked down!) is riding high on the f-holes as it does on the short-scale archtops. All ES-5 have that f.b. end, as do L-5's, 400's, etc. The last recorded ES-5's were in '61 and did have the florentine cutaway like that one. It's closer to an ES-350T than a Byrdland since it has a maple top, not spruce. But it appears to be a full depth body unlike the Byrdland and 350T. What I hear is, if you had enough dough, gisbon would build your dream.
    Catalog spec anomylies are nothing new (to the sixties, that is). I have a Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe with the body showing a 1941 f.o.n. (two years after they were last cataloged). It appears gisbon stuck a Smeck (hawaiian-style) neck on a J-35, even though the bracing, soundhole, etc were in the wrong place, to fill an order. Whatever it takes...

13. michael.e

Yes, it is a short/Byrdland scale! Good one guys!

Emee

14. snarkle

snarkle Member

A stupid question, perhaps, but is that a spruce top, as per the Byrdland?

There's a little grain showing that indicates maple, but it's hard to tell on my monitor. If it is maple, it's awfully light for a 46-year-old guitar...a refin? (All the blonde maple Gibsons I've seen from that era...even near-mint ones...have ambered considerably.)

On the other hand, the case, which is period-correct, seems perfect, and the binding is extraordinarily white...maybe it's just never seen any UV radiation.

I'm guessing that it's real, and a one-off...with the caveat about the finish. A previous poster noted that a number of one-off short-scale jazz boxes came out of the Gibson factory during this period...I've seen photos of Trini Lopez holding a Trini Custom with the short-scale neck.

Anyway, what's the deal with the guitar? Is it something you're thinking of buying? And, if not, who's selling?

15. michael.e

Here is this mornings ad. He is an estate buyer and got this instrument in a general sale [or so he says...]

1962 Blond Maple Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster
    This has been in storage for decades. Lots of dust.
    It is a factory stock Guitar. No refinish just stock as it should be.
    This morning I received many emails asking me to sell it for all different prices
    I can send detailed pictures. My best offer was 9500. This estate guitar is for the collector that wants the best. See detailed pictures Call me if any questions
    I will let the new owner to take the dust off and wax it.
    408 391-0143
    [​IMG]
    src="http://Imagedeposit.com/ad_images/ImageDeposit_dot_com_FREE_Hosting_BIG_UserID_107876_Image_number_4E2B6B184A.jpg" alt="click here for free image hosting" border="0">
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. michael.e

Snarkle, it looks like a Maple top.

emee

17. hogy

hogy Member

That is definitely not a Gibson blonde finish. Actually, it looks stripped, i.e. no finish.

18. michael.e

Interesting Hogy,
    Looks like there is a repair at the tip of the Florentine as well.
    Emee

19. snarkle

snarkle Member

If it's maple, then I'd have to agree with Mr. Hogy.

20. hogy

hogy Member

Even if it wasn't maple the clear nitro used in '62 would have yellowed. The bindings are bright white. And you can see faint remnants of the sunburst's brown dye.

You'd have to inspect the wiring and the pickup routs closely to determine if it left Gibson with three pickups. Either way, it's not worth anywhere near 10 grand.