almost "done!!" help me finish the job!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by re-animator, May 22, 2008.

1. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

yeah, yeah, yeah :horse:horse

so I built, destructed, and re-built my pedalboard recently and the final pieces are just about falling in place. :BEER

I've axed a lot of great and not so great pedals over the past few months (box of rock, ocd, soulbender, mesa v-1, fdII, dmm, just to name a few!!) but I think I've got things just about the way I want them.

My current rig splits up into two parts, as it feeds into two separate channels of my amp (vox AC30).

My clean signal is as follows:

guitar ---> a/b switch ---> custom Booty-Que Retrocomp (best comp on the planet!!) ---> Electro Harmonix Polychorus ---> AC30 Top boost channel

Dirty signal:

guitar ---> a/b switch ---> Vox 848 clyde Wah ---> JHf-1 bc108 Fuzzface ---> TC Electronic vintage Tube Primer (rehoused TRex Moller) ---> BK Butler Tube Driver ---> AC30 Normal channel

FX loop (both signals):

Boss FV-50 Volume ---> Boss DD-6 Delay

thus far I am VERY happy with my drive tones for the first time in a long time. I get good Eric Johnson tones, nice fusion sounds, great rock and roll rhythm, blues tones, cutting leads, etc. I've even got the "half-clean" fat hendrixy rhythm tone that I thought were impossible with my setup. The only thing I'm currently missing happens to be the tone of one of my guitar heroes: Rory Gallagher.

1. I know a germanium rangemaster clone is probably the golden ticket, but I'm unsure which one. I'm leaning towards the Analogman Beano Boost just because I've heard so many good things. Basically all I want is Rory tones with a Tele and a Strat, and Jimmy Page tones with a gibson. Is the beano the best option??

other than that I think I decided to go hunt down an Ampeg Scrambler reissue just for off-the-wall crazy tones and chaos when I want it.

2. I know I need to add a tuner as well. Currently I'm using an off-board boss tuner and I'm unsatisfied with its performance (accuracy and useability). I tune my acoustic to E-flat usually, and I'd like to keep a guitar tuned to E-flat as well, but currently I have to use a Capo and tune to E, which is not accurate or practical. I'm thinking about either a Peterson Strobostomp II, or Korg Pitchblack. I'm leaning towards the strobostomp because it has DI capability. I'd love to just take only the strobostomp and maybe a compressor to acoustic gigs and avoid the big pedalboard hassle. I guess I could just use clean boost to bring it up to line-level but the peterson might be more convenient. Any one wanna shine a light on this??

3. Finally, and perhaps most interesting, I've got a delay conundrum. Boss DD-6 is certainly on the way out. Its been a workhorse, but performance just isn't up to par. I'm most interested in tape echoes (for my clean sound as well as for my leads, I only use reverb on dirty rhythm), but I need the flexibility of tap tempo, and maybe expression capability. Looping is a big plus as I am guitarist in a power trio and I also play keyboards and provide harmonies. I'm not satisfied with the reverb on my AC30, so something that can handle reverb capabilities (not necessarily in conjunction with delay) is a plus. Edge sounds are also mildly appealing to me.

I think I'm down to a few choices (unless there are some I don't know about):

Boss RE-20 Space echo + additional looping pedal
    TC Nova + looper
    Eventide Timefactor
    Keep DD-6 in the FX loop, and put an AD-9 in my clean chain, and add looper

Right now I'm leaning towards the Timefactor because I like the idea of a self-contained unit that is expandable (I can add an additional tap tempo switch, and I have an expression pedal sitting around doing nothing). Also it would probably be more space-effective and cost-efficient than separate units (keeping in mind i don't need a really complicated looper). Software upgrades are also appealing.

So I guess that's it. I might add something like a line6 rotosphere in the FX loop because I currently don't have any modulation on my lead tones, and i'm kinda missing the vibey sounds I had with my roger mayer vibe. I also may upgrade my volume to a full-size ernie ball if space permits. The Ampeg Scrambler is also a tentative decision based on pedalboard space and perceived need.

Anyway if the good folks of the gearpage can help me out with rounding out the last bits of my pedalboard, i'd be eternally grateful. Also if anyone has questions about my current or past gear, i'd be happy to answer. I think I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm after, but in the infinite knowledge of the gearpage, there may be lots of great gear out there that i'm missing.

2. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

Sounds like you have your board mostly figured out. There are only two things I might change. Instead of the Line 6 Rotomachine I would go with the Boss RT-20 which I feel sounds way more like a rotary IMHO and has a vibe setting that does a decent job. I also would trade the Ernie ball volume pedal for the Boss FV-500H since I like the feel of it better, and it has an expression out which would be great if you get the Timefactor. Good luck with the never ending pedalboard changes:BEER

3. re-animator

sounds good but RT-20 is probably gonna be a little bit big for my board (PT-Pro). Considering I'll probably add the rotary pedal at the end if there is room, I'll probably have space for a boss/mxr sized pedal at best. FV500 looks cool too.... anyone know what the difference is in tone-suck between boss and EB?? Its going in a well-buffered effects loop. I already have a technics expression pedal sitting around, so the expression function isn't too important to me.

its good to be in this situation I guess considering how much i've already invested!! I guess I'll put the fulldrive2 mosfet for trade in the emporium to find a strobostomp, or a beano boost.... or maybe I'll just sell it outright and put the funds towards a timefactor.

4. dahn8

dahn8 Member

Why not the DD7 instead of the DD6? Its small, compact and has tap tempo or expression pedal capabilities. it sounds pretty good too :)

5. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

I love my TimeFactor, I have the FS300 3 button footswitch for it and will probably pick up an expression pedal this weekend. There are so many sounds in that little box it's crazy!

6. re-animator

not really into the dd7.... just because it doesn't quite do a good tape sound, and that's really my primary reason for looking for a new delay.