Almost found my amp. Dual Rec vs Stiletto Please school me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by g335, May 19, 2008.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

Well I have been out playing amps to buy for my birthday. Played a Dual Rec Solo head. What is the difference between this and the Dual Rec that was sold in the late 90's?
    Well I played a CIJ 62 Strat with American Vintage pups, CIJ 62 Tele Custom with Texas Specials and a CIJ Jazzmaster.
    The amp sounded good!!!!. The Jazzmaster actually got the best tone out of it with the tele next. The cab for the Dual Rec was a Hughes and Kettner 4x12 with Celestian vintage 30's. Sounded good!!!!!!

Does anyone know what the big difference between the Dual Rec and Stiletto will be in sound?
    Next will be Marshalls I will try out.

Help

2. Ace_F4i

Ace_F4i Member

i'm a fan of the single rectifier over a dual or triple any day. they're less buzzy and tighter IMO than the ones i've tried. the early 90s single rectifier was PTP wired i believe.

3. g335

g335 Member

Ok PTP

Which amp would give me more versatility the Dual Rec or Stiletto?

4. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

The Dual Recto is a very versatile amp. People seem to pigeonhole it because most guys using it are in metal bands but there are so many other applications for the amp. A guy on another forum uses a rectoverb almost strictly for blues/rock and it sounds great in his recordings. I'd look for a rectoverb or a roadster if you want more versatility though. The Roadster is one of the best rectos Mesa has produced to date. I've played one of the earliest rectos out there (005) and it doesn't sound anything like the ones being made today. It has more of a Soldano-esque feel to it FWIW.

5. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

No version of a Recto has ever been PTP -- they're all PCB. Now, the earlier versions of the Dual, Triple and Tremoverb did have difference in their build quality. The earlier versions had chassis mounted pots and tube sockets which is a better thing to do than mounting them directly on the board.

Best sounding Recto's IMO are early-to-mid 90's Tremoverb's, Dual's and Triple's. Singles are good amps as well -- hell, I even like the 3-ch Dual and Triple. If you like that kind of tone they are all fine amps indeed.

6. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

The Stiletto is Boogie's take on a British/Marshall-style amp. Recto is,...well, a Recto. That's not to say there's not a little bit of that Recto-vibe in the Stiletto -- the Tite Gain mode is reminds me of the Vintage High Gain mode of a Recto mixed with JCM800. Like that mode a lot.

I've owned a Stiletto Deuce stage 1 and an Ace (Stiletto stage 2). I enjoyed both amps and think they are actually quite versatile. You just have to go play on one and see for yourself.

7. baimun

baimun Member

If you really can't make up your mind between a single recto, a dual recto, and any other Mesa....

... then get a Roadster.

4 channels... first two are based on the Lone Star for cleans or vintage sounds.

Two high gain channels that bridge the gap between the Dual Recto and the Road King (The Road King is a Dual Rec that has switchable output tubes for each channel. Neat, but complex... the Roadster uses 6L6 output tubes.)

Each of the four channels can be switched for 50 or 100 watts... so you can have headroom for your clean, and 50 watt crunch for a different sound.

Each channel has it's own independent reverb control, and four band eq.

There is a master volume and adjustable boost for solos.

[​IMG]

8. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

No Mesas have ever been PTP amps.

9. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I think they were orignally, when they were supercharged Princeton and Champs that were being modified with the extra gain stage to make those little amps "Boogie".