1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Alnico Blue - open back or closed/ported

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by suhr_rodney, Dec 24, 2005.

1. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I have a Celestion Alnico Blue on the way and my question is which cabinet should I put it in? The two candidate cabs are: Dr Z 1x12 open back, Bogner 1x12 Cube. Each has a Celestion Vintage 30 in it today. I'd love to hear comments/suggestions as to the cabinet type you think the Alnico Blue excels.

2. bjm007

bjm007 Member

All depends on the application. I think the blue shines best in an open back cab YMMV.................

3. Damon

Damon Member

Please try them both and let us know what you think.

My initial thought would be to go with the Z, partly because the Bog is so compact... a BIG front-ported 1x12 is a different thing.

4. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I Believe it was Designed for open back Cabinets Like the old Vox Alnico Speakers used in The Early AC-30's. I Own several of these and Truly Belive these are the best guitar Speakers money can Buy!

5. suhr_rodney

OK, I'll give it a go in the Z open back cab first. That's the cab I have the biggest love/hate relationship with, due to the stock Vintage 30. I'm sure my GAS will get the better of me and I'll wind up with a second Blue for the Bogner cab, and maybe a third for my Rambler. I must stop!

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

The first Marshall 4x12's used the equivalents of Blues (they were silver).

Don't get too hung up on what enclosure should be used.

Best, Pete.

7. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I think you'll find an alnico speaker that compresses sounds better in an open back, especially when driven hard. At least that was the conclusion I came to after trying it both ways.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got Voxs with blues in both open and closed back configs. The bass tends to rattle/buzz the cones in the closed back-I'd vote open but definitely try both...

9. dehughes

dehughes Member

I believe that they sound "best" in open-back configurations, either paired with a speaker along the lines of a Greenback/H30/H30-55hz, or with another Blue. The V30 seems to take up much of the same space as the Blue, but instead of being complimentarily similar like another Blue would be, the V30 adds harsness and edge. This may be something you'd like, but for me, a Blue in a 2x12 is either paired with another Blue or a Greenback/H30/H30-55hz-ish speaker.

Now, that said, I currently am running a Blue with a Jensen RI P12N in my TopHat Ambassador 35 2x12 combo, and that sounds pretty darn good... My idea about that came from Phil Jamison and his V30/P12N recommendations for some of his amp designs. Being as I find the Blue to be an improvement overall on the V30 for my uses, I substituted one for the other, keeping the P12N, and as the speakers break in together I find that the pairing isn't half bad. I'll give it another few months and let them really settle down before passing judgement. :)

Long story short: Put the Blue in the open back 1x12. :)

david

10. Roe

Roe Member

it sounds best in a open cab (with a weber alnico silver bell) IMHO

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

Even shorter story:

Put 4 Blues in a 4x12 closed back.

You wanna hear the best (and most expensive).......

Best, Pete.

12. big hair

big hair Member

I have a mix of two greenbacks and two blues in my 1960a.

To me it sounds great, probably the best configuration I have heard for speakers - covers everything from chimey cleans to metal with a good low end. Very versatile :)

13. suhr_rodney

Thanks for all of the comments! But I have to say that you guys are killing me... thus far I have largely avoided speaker GAS, but here we go... :)