Alnico Blue with ???

scott1568

Hi all,

I am in the middle of planning an amp build - 5E3x2 ( Tweed Double Deluxe) . I will build a head and have a 2 x 12 pine cab with a convertible back built for it. I am stuck on speakers though.

1. I am a single coil guy.....Gretsch w/ Dynas, Strat and Tele with Bill Lawrence Keystones. Believe it or not, the Gretsch is dark compared to the Keystones.

2. Current rig is '67 blackface Bassman w/ Tung Sol 5881's running through a 2 x 10" ported cab with 2 Weber Alnico Blue pups.

I play a lot of roots rock live in medium venues. The Bassman sometimes gets attenuated, and for overdrive (clean dirt) I often use a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone that I built.

I am looking for more dynamics and amp produced honky kind of raunch, I want to get away from pedals. I was thinking about pairing a 12" Weber alnico Blue with a Celestion G12H30, but I am concerned about icepick and harshness with that. I do want a Ceramic in there with the Blue. Any suggestions/experience, etc?

thanks!

Steve73

I think the G12H30 would sound great with the Blue, though a Scumback M75 would be a nice compliment to it as well.

balde

I have a 5e3 type build. I use a blue paired with an et65. The et65, is all i wanted the g12h30 to be.

scott1568

I know about Scumback- haven't played one but might have to adjust the budget.

What is an et65? Haven't seen/ hear that yet....

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
ET65 is WGS"s take on a G12-65.
Not bad, but doesn't compare to scumback IMO. It's not a bad speaker at all though.

balde

WGS et65. It´s cheap, and it´s hell of a speaker. It´s supposed to sound like a cele g1265. It has some similarities, but are not the same. I have both, and i also pair both with a Dr.z EZG50. The et65 is tighter, with a bit less midrange, but smooth treble. That´s why it is all i wanted the g12h30 to be. I find the g12h30 70th anniversary, very harsh in the treble (had an english version and slammed it for years and it reamained taht way) and it´s a very scooped speaker (of course it´s designed to be so) But i find the et65 the perfect balanced speaker.

balde

I don´t have a clip with the 2x12. If i can get to do some this weekend, i´ll try to post.

Trending Topics