Alnico Cream / Creamback vs Greenback : how close?

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
update:

Conceding that the Private Jack is not a Greenback, even tho that was apparently Eminence's intention, I have ordered a Private Jack. I have been loving the Alnico Cream, but if I'm shooting for a specific tone (Guthrie Trapp's PR with a PJ), then I have to buy a PJ. We'll see how it goes, when I have time to swap the speakers...

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Well, it's not the power... a PR doesn't need a 90W or even 50W speaker... I'm really more looking for a certain tone... and I can't even explain it, other than, in multiple Guthrie Trapp videos of him playing his 66 PR with a Private Jack, THAT is the tone I seek. And he's only playing at 2.5-3.5 volume, at home. (and yes, I know... "tone is in the hands", ... but let's stick to the amps/speakers LOL).

To be honest, the Alnico Cream sounds great, and if Guthrie played my amp, he'd sound like him. I get it. But there's something about the Alnico Cream... it almost sounds like "too much" speaker for the little PR...?
How the heck did you fit an Alnico Cream in a PR?
I had the FSR PR with a 12" Jensen (one of the cheaper ones) and swapped in a decently broken in Creamback NEO. Instant improvement, really took overdrive much better. Bigger, fuller, nice and clear.
I have a Creamback M75 that I should have tested, that is even better then the NEO.
I also have a Creamback Alnico that I cannot fit into my amp so I have a 1x12 on the way........................................ loaded with a Greenback!
So by this afternoon I will have:
Amp with a Twin/Deluxe module that can get great Blackface Fender tones
  • NEO Creamback
  • Creamback M75 (to be reinstalled in place of the NEO)
  • Amp connected to new cab with Greenback
  • Amp connected to new cab with Alnico Cream, expecting the Alnico to be THE ONE for my rig and selling the Greeny (maybe). Only because I really like Alnico smoothness, compression, etc. on clean tones at any volume.
I can try and make quick comparison clips with an e906 hung over the amp (or cab). I'm not going to swap all four speaker into the same cab though... too much work.
LMK, also the Greenback might be on sale depending on results.

EDIT: watching the Lance vid for the first time, sounds killer and no "too" smooth Alnico-y on the gain tones. BUT... I bet it's cranked!

Last edited:

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
You'd have to ask Fender LOL

Very good demo:

No good, ZERO overdrive. We all know the cleans from most Alnico's are grand. The question is do overdrive tones get muffled, squashed, rounded, compressed with Alnico. That is my concern, just like the OP.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
No good, ZERO overdrive. We all know the cleans from most Alnico's are grand. The question is do overdrive tones get muffled, squashed, rounded, compressed with Alnico. That is my concern, just like the OP.
I think PR overdrive sucks, I’m only looking for gorgeous cleans out of this amp, dirt comes from pedals. When I want amp overdrive, I go to my Hot Cat :aok

But Lance Keltner’s demo of the Alnico Cream should be all you need to hear...

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member

I am not hearing that from my Alnico Creams, I did hear that from the Blues I had. They sound very good dirty.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I am not hearing that from my Alnico Creams, I did hear that from the Blues I had. They sound very good dirty.
Lance's demo is on point. He gains it up and it sounds awesome. I'm installing mine tonight, but won't be able to really hit it hard until tomorrow.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I think PR overdrive sucks, I’m only looking for gorgeous cleans out of this amp, dirt comes from pedals. When I want amp overdrive, I go to my Hot Cat :aok

But Lance Keltner’s demo of the Alnico Cream should be all you need to hear...

Sounds great. I run my modular amp with Twin clean + Friedman Smallbox pedal (Hot Plexi to JCM800 hot rodded and beyond). Or, Deluxe pushed cleans.
But my new favorite is the Plexi module which is versatile, but a scorcher on the red channel.
Hoping the Alnico Cream can cover it all!

The Pup

No Complexity Without Value
Silver Supporting Member
Over the last few month I bought every Celestion AlNiCo IR I could find...and the AlNiCo Cream IRs (for the most part) sounded thin and flat compared to the real thing (off axis in-the-room).

No doubt useful in the mix; however, I would not base my opinion on IRs (especially using a dynamic on axis mic).

TP Parter

I know it is a little stouter, but to me Fane AXA12's sound like a higher powered Greenback. They have the same fine grain to the breakup, and smooth sweet highs. The Fanes are a little thicker sounding, like a double scoop midrange milkshake, to the Greenback's single scoop.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Just tested mine, cleans are full and robust, overdrive and hot rodded gain sound smooth and organic, very pleasing to the ear vs. the ceramics (NEO, Creamback M75 and Greenback) -- even with the cabinet raised up off the floor and sitting near ear level (just for testing).

Trending Topics