• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Alnico Golds for a Marshall 50 Watt Plexi?

curlykyle

Gold Supporting Member
I know most everyone uses Greenbacks with a Plexi amp but I have a 212Cab I’m thinking about loading with Celestine Golds. Have any of you tried this combination? I love how Golds Sind in other amps I’ve had and I’m curious if the will play well with a Plexi.

StratStringSlinger

Silver Supporting Member
I hear the Gold are a bit different than the Blues but wasn't a Marshall Bluesbreaker combo essentially a JTM45 with trem, in a combo format with Celestion Alnico Blues; so should sound great.

ROKY

I didn't think the Golds handled my TopHat Emplexador well due to the lack of doping and
the voicing of the Empex' which is more JMP than JTM.

The Golds sound great w/ my Traynor YBA Bassmaster amps tho' due to their more JTM/Bassman
circuit with the flatter mid response.

The Creams handle the Emplexador w/ out issues.. I think the doping helps out a lot.

ItJustRocks

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm running a bigtone studio plex 22 with a Gold. That amp is a plexi all the way and can cop some jtm45 tones. It sounds good but the slightly hollow mids of the gold isn't jiving well so I'm going to try a Cream Alnico then a Creamback 65.

EFK

I used a 1975 JMP50 for a long time with a 2X12 with a pair of golds. Originally I had bought them for a JTM45, then started using them with the JMP which was fairly aggressive. Sound was great, but I picked up a pair of Fane AXA12 speakers in trade at one point and unfortunately they handled the aggressiveness of the JMP much better than the golds (for 70s classic rock). I still prefer the golds for a 'cleaner' JTM45 type amp, though.

stryker59

Silver Supporting Member
I occasionally run my jtm45 through 2 golds, sounds killer. I've found that I prefer them in a shallower cab though, in a deep cab they lose that great top chime, IMHO.

ROKY

I used a 1975 JMP50 for a long time with a 2X12 with a pair of golds. Originally I had bought them for a JTM45, then started using them with the JMP which was fairly aggressive. Sound was great, but I picked up a pair of Fane AXA12 speakers in trade at one point and unfortunately they handled the aggressiveness of the JMP much better than the golds (for 70s classic rock). I still prefer the golds for a 'cleaner' JTM45 type amp, though.
The Fane AXAs are really great-sounding speakers !
I have 4 of the 12"-ers and recently got a quad of the 10"-ers, also.

I occasionally run my jtm45 through 2 golds, sounds killer. I've found that I prefer them in a shallower cab though, in a deep cab they lose that great top chime, IMHO.
Agreed.. I have an early 70's JENNINGS(JMI) 4x12 loaded w/ Golds -- the cab is 10.5" deep .
Probably my favorite cab .

71strat

I use 2 x 1 x 12 Creams with a LTD ED Metro GMP45 Head, You can barely see 1 of the 1 x 12s in my Avatar, and theyre really good. I like them better than the Golds, but also do like the Golds. IMHO the Cream sounds like the best of both the Gold, and the Blue, and is smoother than either.

I also love the Redback G12H 150w for a hi powered Celestion Ceramic, and a Marshall circuit. Especially for 1 x 12.

I also love the Fane AXA10s. Ive had a 4 x 10 for 5 years. 1 of the best 4 x 10s ever, and will take 400w. These perform as well, or better than many 12s. 100w/100db x 1w/1m Alnico

Fane was the 1s manufacturer to make a 12in 100w/100db speaker for guitar. 100w Cresendo. I believe in 68/69. Thats whats also in some of those old WEM cabinets.

By comparisom JBL D120F of the time was generously rated at 60w.

Altec 417C 75w. 417b 50w

Last edited:

Jr Deluxe

I cant say the gold is my favorite alnico. Id love to hear a pair of avatar A50s with a jtm45. Itd be cheaper too.

Suppose this depends on just how hard you're going to be pushing them, and I assume the cab is partially open not for the alnicos to run the chance of loafing.

ROKY

Suppose this depends on just how hard you're going to be pushing them, and I assume the cab is partially open not for the alnicos to run the chance of loafing.
Agreed.. my 4x12 w/ Golds I mentioned earlier is an open back cab .
I've never had any of my UK AlNiCo speakers in a closed back cab configuration .

rumbletone

Gold Supporting Member
For a 'closed back cranked Plexi tone' they wouldn't be my first choice. For a jtm45-ish tone through an open back cab they are great (but not as tight in the lows and doesn't have that grindy, cutting upper midrange).

Agreed.. my 4x12 w/ Golds I mentioned earlier is an open back cab .
I've never had any of my UK AlNiCo speakers in a closed back cab configuration .
Yeah, they tend to run out of headroom pretty soon otherwise.

At one point I ran a pair of Axa 12s in closed back config. Now these are no slouches, obviously rated at 100W a pop and they gave me something close to that pushed ceramic kind of give with perhaps 25W or so into each. But that obviously was for that specific purpose.

Cirrus

I had a vox open back 2x12 with two golds, and I thought it paired really well with a JMP50. Kinda complex, rich sound that still had some bottom end.

In contrast, I eventually came to the conclusion that I really don't like Golds with Voxy amps. But yeah, surprisingly nice with that JMP and for heavier styles.

Leftyman

I think you would be fine with the wattage however, I think the Cream Alnicos would be a better fit. I have a pair of Cream Alnicos and they are phenomenal speakers. They work very well with a plexi style amp. Being they are 90 watts you have plenty of headroom and would never have to worry about blowing them. They did need some breaking in to smooth out a bit but what speakers don't? They also have a very nice chimey top end and a great low end thump. I tend to gravitate towards Greenbacks but I cannot say enough about the Cream Alnicos.

curlykyle

Gold Supporting Member
I think you would be fine with the wattage however, I think the Cream Alnicos would be a better fit. I have a pair of Cream Alnicos and they are phenomenal speakers. They work very well with a plexi style amp. Being they are 90 watts you have plenty of headroom and would never have to worry about blowing them. They did need some breaking in to smooth out a bit but what speakers don't? They also have a very nice chimey top end and a great low end thump. I tend to gravitate towards Greenbacks but I cannot say enough about the Cream Alnicos.
I failed to mention my cabinet can be open or closed back. Would 2 Greenbacks handle a 50 watt plexi?

Leftyman

I failed to mention my cabinet can be open or closed back. Would 2 Greenbacks handle a 50 watt plexi?
My 2X12 I have the Cream Alnicos in can be either open or closed back as well. For the Cream Alnicos, they work well either way. For the Greenbacks you are most likely going to want to run a closed back. They are a medium magnet speaker so running them open back will lose some of the low end and thump.

Greenbacks are 25 watt speakers so they should be fine. You would be running a 50 watt head into a 50 watt cabinet. Unless you plan to really crank it for long periods of time, you'll be fine. I personally like running it like this because when you do turn the amp up, it really makes the speakers work. If you are going to go the Greenback route, you might want to consider Scumback M75 65 watters. I have a pair and they are great sounding speakers as well. You wouldn't need to be concerned about blowing them because the cabinet would be 130 watts.

Trending Topics