AlNiCo or Cermic Speaker for a 1965 Fender Princeton Reverb...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wheeler004, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

What do you all recommend for a vintage 1965 Princeton Reverb- AlNiCo or ceramic? I'm not really looking for specific speaker recommendations, but I'd like to know what kind of speakers people are using in their Princeton Reverbs (vintage or reissue). Was the original speaker that came stock in a vintage Princeton Reverb ceramic or AlNiCo? What's the general consensus? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. 73171

73171 Member

Got a 12" Celestion Blue in my '68 Princeton Reverb (with a replacement baffle) ....incredible sweet midrange and high end chime.......and loud! The Blue is very efficient speaker.

YMMV

3. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

Thanks. I am leaning towards an AlNiCo because of the way it responds to an overdriven, low wattage amp (I love the way my Celestion Blue sounds with my AC15 when its cranked). I will probably not opt for a 12" speaker just because I'm not really looking to get it any louder and I would prefer to not replace the baffle. Oh, and this may be a stupid question, but what does "YMMV" stand for?

4. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

"your mileage may vary"

5. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

The original speakers in Pverbs were Gold Lable Jensen ceramics.

Don't let originality hold you back. I've got the stock speaker in my PRRI until the summer when the 10" Gold comes out. Though lately, I've been GASSING for aJBL D110f. Weeks ago, I was gassing for a TT alnico ten.

It's an endless battle with Princetons.

Everything sounds good in em, it's just a question of what sounds best.

sigh.

-Jon

6. capnjuan

capnjuan Member

Hi Wheeler; alnico for chime, earlier breakup, dirty blues, roots rock. If you want cleans and more articulated bass, ceramic. YMMV also translates to Your Music May Vary ... where music = results. Hardly any of us can predict how something might sound or be appreciated by someone else. It's as if we were giving you advice on cheese; I like gouda but lots of people prefer swiss ... your appreciation of gouda might not be the same as mine. Good luck and keep your mind and your ears open! CJ

7. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

I run a JBL K-110 (Alnico) in my Princeton and really love it! I've tried the E-110 (Ceramic) and didn't quite like the way it broke up when pused.