alnico speaker advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bloozeman1, Oct 3, 2017.

1. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

Im wanting to try a set of alnico speakers in my tophat super deluxe. not sure which to go with as there are so many choices. Id like to try the celestion blues but theyre only 15 watts each and Im not a big fan of celestion speakers but willing to give them a try, Id think 2 15 watt speakers would be ok for a 33 watt amp? or what about weber alnicos or scumback alnicos? I play blues with a strat

2. caspergomez

caspergomez Member

if your amp is rated at 30 watts you want to shoot higher. like 50-60 watts. I have a set of weber blue alnicos rated at 25 watts each (total 50 watts) that I am going to sell. pm if you are interested.

3. MHG

MHG Member

Based on the amp's description, it's a pretty unique amp. A mix of Top Boost, Tweed, and Marshall. Speaker are just so amp dependent, and it would be very difficult to recommend a speaker unless you've actually played that specific amp. Did you ask Brian what he would recommend?

This is a 2x12 correct? You currently have Celestion G12H30-Anniversary speakers in it? Since the G12H30 is the stock speaker for that amp, you may want to consider replacing just one of them with the Alnico Gold. The Gold/G12H30 combination is pretty much a tried and true combination. I didn't love the Gold on its own, but that particular combination sounded very nice with a wide variety of amps.

I'm sure there are other Alnico speakers that would sound great with that amp, but it would be impossible to say which to try without having first hand experience with the tone and feel of the amp. My recommendation stems simply from the fact that the G12H30-Anniversary is the stock speaker, and that I know the Gold pairs well with it. You'll get plenty of Alnico character from this combination.

Good luck!

blackba and MissoulaGriz like this.
  4. bloozeman1

I pulled the celestions out and am now using a weber silver bell and weber blue dog in it, both ceramic.

5. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

This suggestion right here is what I'd also recommend. A G12H30/Gold mix would sound spectacular in that circuit.

MHG likes this.
  6. ROKY

ROKY Member

A pair of Avatar A25s would work great in that amp,, toneful and affordable .

MissoulaGriz likes this.
  7. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

I agree that you probably want to go higher on the alnicos for them not to loaf out on you. Then perhaps you need to consider just how much compression you expect from the speakers.

Then the Fane A60 is a great alnico, yet perhaps a bit pricy.

Also some ceramic speakers sound quite alnico like, in case you're not really going with alnico for the compression and overtones.

8. skoora

skoora Member

Are you cranking the amp? Most people don't utilize the wattage of what the amp is capable of.

9. Oscar A

Oscar A Member

Tayden makes a nice blue clone rated at 25 watts called the "Ace 25". Might be hard to come by in the U.S though, if that's where you live..

Someone mentioned 25 watt Webers? Might be worth checking out, so you can dime the amp and still sleep at night

10. bloozeman1

No, amp is never dimed. Usually have the gain at about 7 or 8 and the master at 4 or 5 for edge of breakup tone

11. skoora

skoora Member

Then you don't need to sweat if you were to do two blues. I've had the Avatar A25 mixed with a blue in a 2x12 and like it so far.

bloozeman1 likes this.
  12. bloozeman1

I'm thinking if a vox ac30 used 2 15 watt alnico blues then this tophat 33 watt amp should be able to handle 2 blues as well.

13. m1911

m1911 Member

Tone Tubby

Jonathan Byrnside likes this.
  14. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

15. earthmud

earthmud Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Scumnico by far. Two 30 watters wired in series.

16. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I replaced the stock speaker in my DRRI with a Weber Alnico speaker and it sounds amazing - and it's still opening up. I think mine is rated at 50 watts.

17. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

It depends. Thing about the AC30 is that as you crank it the plate voltage drops and bias voltage increases, so the more overdriven it is the cooler the valves are actually biased, which limits how much power it can actually put out. So it'll put out 30 watts clean and maybe 40-ish fully cranked.

Then at the other end of the scale you get things like the JMP50 that yes, puts out 50 watts clean but by the time it's cranked it's more like 90.

Celestions are given ratings that are quite conservative so it's easier to match to the clean power wattage ratings of amps, other brands sometimes need more headroom factored in.

It's all in how the amp overdrives. I don't know where the Tophat falls in that spectrum.

18. bloozeman1

Ive decided to go with the above suggestion of an alnico gold and a g12h30 mix. seems to get pretty good reviews.

MHG likes this.
  19. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

WGS Blackhawks, either 50 watt or 100 watt models.

Gb

20. ROKY

ROKY Member

Hope you like that combo. I've read that Brian doesn't like the AlNiCo Golds but I've used
    them with my Top Hats for years, so it's down to individual preferences, as always.