Alnico speaker suggestions for tweed voiced amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LPVM, Jan 21, 2012.

1. LPVM

LPVM Member

I'm planning a 1x12 build, primarily for use with a Silvertone 1482. I finally got around to putting a cord mounted jack inline with it's stock alnico Fisher yesterday in preparation of a Minimass that's on the way. I set my Marshall 425A cab to stereo so I could try it with a pair of greenbacks. The volume bump was rather surprising. It was much brighter sounding too. Definitely a different tone, harder edged, almost harsh by comparison to the stock speaker but I'm sure I can smooth it out with some EQ adjustments. I think I prefer how alnico speakers sound with this amp. I was looking at various Webers and I'm trying to decide which would fit my needs best. More to the point, I'm not sure how many watts to go with 25 or 50. I tend to boost the amp a lot for my crunch and would like the option of using it with other amps so I'm leaning towards the 50 but the 1482 is only 15 watts. I'm looking for suggestions on reasonably priced alnicos that sound good with a tweed.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

The Weber 12A125A is a nice match with Tweed amps.

I also like the Scumnico but it's pricier.

-bEn r.

3. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

haven't tried the 12A125 but the 10A125 sounds great with Tweeds.

4. FFTT

FFTT Member

The 12A125A is a low efficiency, small magnet AlNiCo
    better than OEM, but not ultra loud. Appropriate for the time.

If you play hard, you might be happier with a 12F150 or 12A150

If you want the tones smoother a Tone Tubby maybe.

5. JKjr

JKjr Member

A 12A100T sounds great in my 1482 and takes anything the amp throws at it, even when loaded with 6L6s. I stole it out of my 5E3 type, if I were buying I'd probably go with the 12A125.

After trying every speaker in the house in that amp (and it's brothers) the best match BY FAR was a vintage C12R that sadly has developed a coil rub.Maybe a bit too much amp?

6. How

How Supporting Member

Agree. The 12A125A is what I use in mine.

7. Dale

Dale Member

I like a Blue Dog and Silver Bell with these.

8. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Supporting Member

I've got a Weber ceramic Sig 12B in my rehoused 1482. Big clean sound with no harshness. I use a Weber alnico Sig12 in my rehoused 1481 for early breakup. It's my yin-yang setup.

[​IMG]
    Bottom row: Left = 1481. Right =1482
    Top: Bumbox Supreme One (1 watt Silvertone 1482 circuit w/Weber ceramic 6x9 speaker).

9. Onioner

Onioner Member

Do you want speaker breakup at all?

I'd go w/ the 12A125(or variant), but that depends on your answer to the above.

10. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I really like the 12A150A I put in my Clark Beaufort. It has a larger magnet than the 12A125, so the bass holds together better and gives a fuller tone. The 12A125 would be the closest to the original Jensen used in a 5e3, but I am very happy with the 12A150A. The A cone is a bit brighter than the standard, which is good for a tweed amp also.

11. Dale

Dale Member

In my 5e3 I run a C-Rex personally. It is not alnico though.

12. LPVM

LPVM Member

I wonder how many watts the stock Fisher is rated for, does anybody know? It seems to have the appropriate amount of speaker break up.

[​IMG]

I think I'm leaning towards the 12A125. It sounds like a good fit. It will probably be nice with my SF Vibro Champ too.

My little time capsule treasure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

just my 2 cents, a Tone Tubby is very warm, too much for me in a tweed. And the 150 series Webers are REALLY loud.

14. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

I know these are not "technically" any "tweed" kind of speakers, but the Celestion alnico blues and golds are really sweet sounding. I have a Gold and it is awesome sounding in just about every application I've tried it in.

15. LPVM

LPVM Member

Ultimately I want to build two 1x12 enclosures and use different speakers in each for tone swapping purposes. One of these would be on the top of my list. I want two cabs so I can also use them with a small stereo rack set up I have that I would like to make easily portable. I was thinking it would also be fun to slave this little amp through the line out of my MinMass to feed the rack rig post tweed crunch and run it in stereo, or just do the wet/dry thing. It's really a multi-purpose project.

16. Mr.Strat

Mr.Strat Member